Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thoughts on Painting Bumpers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beerczar1976, Jul 9, 2013.

1. beerczar1976

beerczar1976

Hey everybody. I'm sure some will say it's a sin, and others will say go for it. Question is. I've got some rough, (pitted and surface rusted), but at some point "re-chromable" bumpers. No rot or major rust damage. If I were to sand these down and paint them for now, how hard is it to get them re-plated later on? Would the paint negatively effect the underlying metal? Probably a dumb question, but looking for some opinions. Has anyone else done this in the past? Painted their bumpers and then had them stripped and re-plated? Got a '50 Buick Tourback Sedan. The buck-tooth style bumpers. The teeth are great and those WILL NOT be getting painted. Only rear and front bumpers and probably the upper (moustache) grille bar. Thinking white or black for now, not sure about same color of car, may blend in a little TOO much... Car color is deep red pearl which is actually more of a metal flake.

2. I would neutralize the rust first with Ospho or similiar before paint. Chroming later won't be an issue, they will get chemically stripped.

Personally, I'd paint them silver or aluminum rather than body color or black, too 80's.

3. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I see some old pickups that look alright with painted bumpers but I would think the chrome bumpers on 50 Buick is half the look!

4. I'd rather have shitty chrome!

5. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

A lot of '50s trucks had white or gray painted bumpers and body color or white grills.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

On an older car, no contest. Against red pearl, a painted bumper is going to look sad. IMO

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Painted bumpers are a real controversial subject, but here are a few of my opinions.
    First, my Nephews '55 Buick that had bad bumpers like you are describing...they now are painted and look just great.
    Here is a picture of the front:
    [​IMG]

Second, here is a picture of my '63 Biscayne, which had perfect bumpers, but I wanted to go real "Plane Jane" with it, so painted the bumpers as well as most trim satin black...
    [​IMG]

And last, a 1949 Chevy that I built and painted the front bumper Yellow, as well as the rear bumper black...
    [​IMG]

Obviously I am not against painted bumpers...
    Good luck, and let us know that you do...(With pictures too)l

8. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

If that '55 Buick can pull off a pinted bumper, anybody can. That car looks good. I'd spend my money on gas and drive it instead of spending money on chrome plating.

9. I got to agree. The patina will look better than paint.

10. 327Eric

327Eric

I'd rather have the bad chrome. Painted bumpers look too 80's. Think of "Bumongous". Hard to go the poverty route on a buick, although the right silver, like the black 55 above wouldn't be too bad. My brother has the same problem with his 51 Pontiac's bumpers.

11. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Lotta factors involved. Sometimes you can get creative for a different look.

Sounds like you have a show car.

I like to rip around and be able to touch it up.

[​IMG]

12. I wouldn't paint the bumpers,,a little rough around the edges is cool with me. HRP

13. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Hold off and save for chrome. I faced that dilemma with my 52. I had the smoothed bumpers painted the same color as the car. I could not bring myself to do, as I really wanted chrome and would have harped on that the whole time. I just saved up and sold off a few parts to get the chrome. If realistically you can't afford or it will be a while, then I would run them as is......

If it is really going to bother you then do your body work on them and paint silver. Just don't keep them that way

It is your choice and your decision. Good luck either way and enjoy it,

14. If you paint them they should contrast you just do not want the monochrome look, it says 1993

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A young guy at Lodi's Kingdon drags 3 years ago got my attention. His GTO door slammer was bumper'grille painted, BUT with an airbrush...

One of the Nor Cal stripers had done the 'chrome' look by painting silver, gray, fogged in black; then some dark blue...and hi-lited in white, those little 'stars' that look like glints off a nickle plated gun barrel.

It looked like chrome...I walked all the way up to it, JUST to check it out! (and the 3 knockout chicks standing there looking as well...
    Great conversion starter!
    "Why, hello, girls...Fancy meetin' you here. Moi? Oh, hell, I'm a Talent Scout, looking..."

16. I saw that process on a car at Goodguys once. It really looked great if you can find someone with the talent to pull it off.

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Do a search for sprayable "chrome" or powder coat, it doesn't look exactly like chrome and it wears out after a few years but it is the closest thing you can get without the big $$$$ expense.

18. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I'd say chrome.

Attached Files:

19. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

If you're looking for something temporary just to cover it you might want to look into that Plasti-dip spray. If you put it on thick, supposedly you can peel it off easily a couple years down the line.

I'd make sure any rust was tended to first though.

20. scrubba

scrubba

Painting a chromed bumper to me is not right. I dunno, my 53 Ford truck has painted bumpers . I see chromed bumpers and that ain't right to me either . Chrome was being "Rationed " during the time my truck was built . I can respect you for "PATCHING " over a chrome bumper until you can afford real chrome , however , to leave it that way is a sin ........ scrubba

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

What this fella said

22. jazz1

jazz1

You can't paint the crowning glory of that car!

23. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Rust-O-Leum makes a chrome spray paint. This will give a cheep, easy cover and keep the shiny chrome look. It should work for now, until you get to the point where you want to strip the bumpers and rechrome them. My dos centavos worth.

24. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

On your deep red I think White or black would look cheap.
    It even makes the pickups have a utility look.
    Go matte silver like the Buick in post #7 or matte copper to keep the red rich.

25. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Painted bumpers look like ass on a nice car. Sorry

Run the shitty ones o remove entirely.