Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Thoughts on aluminum flathead oil pans?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dad Was A Racer, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 9.58.51 PM.png I'm looking at the cast/polished aluminum oil pan from Flathead Jack's for my 8BA. Wondering if anyone has any experience with these pans vs. stock sheet metal pans. Yes, I know they're pricey, but this is a full-on show build so it's in line with the rest of the project. I just want to know if there are any issue you guys have discovered that might have experience with it.

http://flatheadjack.com/159.html

Hudson31, dwollam and 31hotrodguy like this.
  2. OK for a show car, but for a driver you want a pan that might dent, but you don't want one that could crack if it hits something.

Phil

dwollam, LOU WELLS, nunattax and 2 others like this.
  3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I remember seeing a car jacked up at rod run a few years ago. Beside this Model A Street Rod was a broken aluminum pan and new steel pan ready to replace it. I agree with Phil,they are good for show but if you are driving a down in the front driver I suggest going with a chrome plated steel pan.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

It looks really nice, any internal baffled? its that pretty I think Id have to use it :)

5. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Many modern cars have aluminum pans. But they probably also has other stuff "protecting" them, not the oil pan as the lowest point of the car.

6. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Here is one that a friend of mine makes for a flathead. Not your cup of tea I am sure but it sure is a nice piece.
    John IMG_6018.JPG

7. banjorear

banjorear

Dang, that's awesome. Talk about purpose built race stuff!

8. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John, care to share your friend's info... I'd like to know more about that pan!

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That flathead aluminum oil pan is a beauty. Very talented folks, indeed.

10. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

They came stock in' 32.

11. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Also some early '33 cars. My 32 roadster has one since new and I drive it like I stole the car, and still no issues with it. If you don't know what you are driving around or distracted then you will have issues.

12. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

all my gen3 hemis have had aluminum pans, as well as 3 gm trucks with ls power. and i've had 2 hemi challengers!

13. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey John,
    I think that a lot of guys like this 'cup of tea' !
    What's contact info. If he makes something this involved and good, I'm wondering if he would make simpler , but as rugged pan for ford four ? I've got a oil baffle system(feep oil near pump) figured that he could incorporate..maybe.