Register now to get rid of these ads!

thoughts on a vacuum reserve

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pepi, Mar 24, 2006.

1. pepi

pepi
    BANNED

Have a very lumpy cam and therefore low vacuum, I am using an electric vacuume pump to assist the power brakes. I am wondering if I were to install a vacuume can if it would be worthwhile or a waste of time. I am thinking that the can may add some preformance to the brake system. Kind of like the way a start capacitor does on a electric motor. Adding energy.......... any thoughts or experiences with this?

say this is a tough message board ........no spell check

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

A friend of mine used a vacuum reserve can under similar conditions, and it helped on that first hit on the brake pedal, but after that it needs to build back up.

3. Bugman

Bugman

Yeah, a vac can will only gain you a pump or two on the pedal. As it is, a vacuum booster holds vacuum, and acts as its own canister. pump any late model thats not running, you can get 2 decent pumps out of it. If you've got the room, a bigger booster may be a better choice.

4. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i bought a cheap vacuum can from summit,it definitely helps.
    i drop at least 1 gear in any situation where severe braking is called for,plus taking your foot off the throttle helps bring the vacuum back up.

Register now to get rid of these ads!