Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thought I Bought A 9 Inch Rear End

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Low-Blow, Feb 7, 2011.

1. chop32

chop32

Not only is there a difference in the big bearing/small bearing bolt patterns, there are also wide and narrow brake shoes which require corresponding drums and the proper backing plates with the correct offset. This is good to know if you are piecing everything together. Small bearing 9" housings share the same end pattern as an 8" rear.

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

You gotta watch swapping axles between the small drum 9" and the large drum 9". I tried to, and the taper on the axle is slightly different, making the drum sit different in relation to the backing plate. Not that anyone but me will ever be confronted with such a strange problem, leave it to me to find out after getting new bearings pressed on.

3. moffetkustoms

moffetkustoms
    from granby, mo

Good Thread with great info. I agree tho, if it's the right gearing for your ride and the parts are available to rebuild the brakes, go for it. You already have it. Good luck.

4. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

I have started cleaning on the rear end and noticed that one of the backing plates appears to be damaged just a little. Please look at the pictures and let me know if this is a cause for concern. Again, thanks for all of the input. As soon as I get it cleaned up, I am going to look at the internals and verify exactly what I'm working with. Also, if anyone is looking for one of these I would be happy to part with it. I don't currently have a project for it.

Attached Files:

5. squirrel

squirrel

the thin part welded on to the backing plate is bent, you can use a hammer and dolly or whatever else you need to straighten it. That part is not used on all rearends, as far as I know it's just a water shield to help keep water out of the brake. Not critical at all.

6. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

It has actually separated from the backing plate in the middle. Should I straighten it and tack it back or remove it altogether?

7. squirrel

squirrel

8. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

Thanks, I am going to straighten it, tack it back and then cut it off:D

9. 26 roadster

26 roadster

This one is a little later but, like yours, I like the way they clean up

Attached Files:

10. Spam alert...There is a 8.75" third member (3.75 gears ) in the classifieds right now.

11. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

That looks great!! Thanks for sharing.

12. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I beat the dimples out, added a drain plug, narrowed to 55" and added crown vic discs
    after a bad experience with brakes in the 70's , I have 4 wheel discs on everything