Register now to get rid of these ads!

This place never ceases to amaze me...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicfins, Dec 28, 2010.

1. classicfins

classicfins

I've been laid off for the last 8 months. Money's been tight.. very tight. I've sold my roadster p/u project, lots of spare parts, accessories, cancelled luxuries like extended cable channels, hosting on some personal websites I have, etc. I had to decide not to renew my NRA membership, magazine subcriptions, and unfortunately my Hamb Allience. Every dime has gone to keeping the lights on, the bills paid, and buy the things my son needs for his high school graduation.

So anyway, today I listed another small item and bumped another ad back up to the top with a lowered price just trying to keep gas in the truck. Out of the blue I recieved a paypal payment from a Hamber. Not for one of the items I had for sale, but instead just a gift with a note that says "Merry Christmas".

It was not a huge amount, but not small either, especially when you're as broke as we have been here lately. Enough to put some gas in the truck and get around for the next week which is HUGE to me here lately. I've never had a complete stranger do anything like this for me before and I can't stop thinking about how big hearted people of the Hamb can be. To help out a total stranger just from reading a classified ad. It blows me away.

I guess I'm just wanting to say thank you to this kind person, (you know who you are), and to thank Ryan for giving me, all of us, a place to hang out and enjoy our hobby, make new friends, and learn from each other. Thanks again, and thanks for the Hamb!

Doug

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Well said..

3. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Agree 100%.

You learn alot from this site and get to interact with a great bunch of people.:)

4. Deuces

Deuces

I love this crowd!!! :)

5. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Some amazing things go on behind the scenes of this unassuming website. Community is the "killer app" of the internet - for sure.

6. XSIVPWR

XSIVPWR
    from No. Nevada

Great post! Hats off to that person!!! And may the best come to you in 2011.

7. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Sweet! Kudos to the good samaritan and hope things will be on the upswing soon for you.
    Some day down the road when things are back to normal for you, maybe you'll have the opportunity to give a brother a hand. It might be something as simple as giving a young rodder on a budget a part that he needs for his project, etc.
    Most folks are good people. The HAMB Rocks!!!

9. X 2 , and yeh , thanks for the cool place to hang and meet cool people , well said , hope things pick up .....cad

10. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

we need more people like this in the world. Nice gesture and well thanked.

11. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

The person that sent you the gift is one "class act"! Things like that are what it is supposed to be about. My hat is off to them.

12. big creep

big creep

you know i bet he or she feels as good as you do right now. i feel great when i can help someone out when i can! i believe in karma, and you are just getting some back for maybe a time when you helped someone else out? and it does not have to be money.
    i love this place, when there is someone in need its nice to know there are still genuine good people out there!

13. lorodz

lorodz

just awsome for you ......

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I've been laid off for 2 years now, and people here have helped me out before, God bless everyone that has, it's kept us going, good people on this site, I have some off topic stuff, but was raised to love Hot Rods and customs since I was a little kid. you guys are awesome, special thanks to the Hamber who helped us with the payment when we had to put our elderly beagle down, bad times.

15. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

16. Just goes to show you there is hope out there.

17. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Who knew that the Secret Santa was a HAMBer?!

Hope the New Year goes better for you. :)

18. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

I don't post often, but I read the HAMB every day. It is a great site and one can learn a lot. Hope every thing works out for you Classicfins.

19. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Good to hear that there is still a human side, and that other people will help out anyway they can.

20. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I can't say it enuff I really like the hot rodding community. classicfins I hope you and your have a proserous 2011.

21. Patdoody

Patdoody

I love this thread. I am fairly new to being a regular poster here, and I can feel the love. Just from interacting with people trying to get help, parts, and info on my coupe build I have met and interacted with some spectacular people. Cant wait to meet more people in the spring when everyone gets out and to the shows/swaps

22. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

Just goes to show what a great community the hotrod, kustoms and classic car community is. It reminds me that there are good people still around. I watched in awe at all of the people that reach out to help when there is a car stolen, an accident, or someone in need. Just look at the outreach Bo Huff has been receiving. Really is a great group of people that I sure am glad that I have the privilege to be a part of.

23. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

We all need help or can help at some time in our lives,
    It's great to hear good things happening here.

24. SOHC427

SOHC427

Pretty Cool, I hope things start to look up for you, soon.
    Eric

25. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Dang, someone believes in karma, eh?

Lots of good dudes on this site, and so much info.

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Cool. Thumbs up on all that.

I had a complete stranger in front of me pay a bridge toll for me one time. Not much, but a few bucks and made my day. There definitely are very nice people out there for sure. Nice to have reminders to try to be one as well every once in a while. Thanks for this one and thanks to whoever was so generous. You gave to us all as well.

Happy and healthy 2011 to everybody.

27. newpy383

newpy383

That is something you will remember the rest of your life. Who knows, maybe you can repay his kindness to someone else someday.

28. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

All too often we let the few bad seeds color our opinion of a larger group. People really are good. A few years back I was hanging on a Ford forum quite a bit and when my stepson committed suicide I pmed the admin and told him because we were friends. He ask if he could post it up and when he did I got money from at least 50 members, non of whom I'd ever met, almost $1000.
    I hope things work out for you. I lost my last real job a few years ago and it was pretty tight for a while but I got into a few small income streams and now I've had a real good year. Keep your chin up and your eyes peeled for day jobs, temp work and some wheeling & dealing.

29. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

thumbs up for the secret santa , ive been out of work a while so know how it is

30. edweird

edweird

i'm proud to be associated with all you guys.