Register now to get rid of these ads!

This message board is a forum for TRADITIONAL hot rods and customs.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

so, someone fill me in.
    when a bunch of hambers are together in real life..., are we allowed to defer off topic at all? Or does it have to be strictly traditonal? I wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings by being human.

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No. not at all. Yes, strictly traditional. My feelings get hurt easily so please be inhuman.

3. hatch

hatch
    from house

I like everybody...except for those "HUMAN" types....but I actually love Hunan cooking.

4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

[​IMG]Cherry-Blossom!

It's a tough call, sometimes...since "traditional rods and kustoms" are so hard to clearly define. The meaning is largely subjective and can be different things to different people.

It'd be like trying to have a "Hot Babe" message board...you'd get all sorts of different ideas on what or who is or isn't "hot", along with stories about bar conquests and assorted other prattle. No way to nail it down to specifics with more than one person involved!

You'd have to make it something like the "Tanya Roberts Message Board", or...to relate it to cars, the "1940 Fords Only Message Board" or something like that...the trouble with anything less specific is that it is too subjective and abstract to keep it strictly defined.

I see us as a group of different people who share a common interest in older cars built to what we consider "traditional" standards. The interest and passion we devote to those cars is our common bond, but being humans and individuals, we naturally tend to talk about more than just one specific topic with those we consider to be friends....but that's just my take on it. There are likely about 3500 or so other opinions to add to it...but only ONE really matters. We are all guests in Ryan's house and he will tell us when we're outta line. I try to respect the rules, but I'm given to emotion and friendly chatter just like anyone else!

5. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

A flat black fiberglass T bucket with a recently made frame, with an early 80's 350/350TH with red rims shod in radials is TRAD!

with an alternator, too!

[​IMG]

6. Assdragger

Assdragger

Bottom line is,it IS a traditional AUTOMOTIVE? board! I know we stray off to motorcycles, cookbooks, toy`s, whatever BUT these items have to do with these trad automobiles or support of this board.I`m personaly tired of having to dig through the scenester (look at me) bullshit to find a decent On Topic post! If I wanted that I would go to the Bling bling, rockeriffic, ricer, everthing goes here boardizzle.....get it?

Now,I usually dont bitch, it`s not my place to,BUT I`ve read the rules and I`ve been around here long enough to know what the majority likes and what the boss (pays the bill) expects. I`m not trying to be a asshole but lets try to stay somewhat ON topic and keep a little dignity!

This board is viewed by thousands of people for the fact that it IS a traditional board, THATS why they come here! If they wanted chit chat and lifestyle lessons they would go to the Yahoo room of thier choice.Anyone that doesnt understand that should start the Yahoo room of THIER choice.
    Now lets all play nice and have a good evening.
    Thank you, drive through.

7. McGrath

McGrath

As far as I am concerned traditional means built by the owner with scavenged parts, painted(or primed)by the owner, and driven regularly without regard for the weather, or worrying about fresh Tar and paint chips.

My Truck is too new('65) for the opinion of most people on this board, but....thats where the aforementioned difference of opinion fits in.

So here's the real question. Is Traditional a Recipe, or a style? (hypothetical question, of course)

8. you are all gay. if this was a traditional message board then there wouldnt be any talk of bias vs. radials. radials wouldnt even be an option. if this was a tradition message board then maybe we wouldnt see merc body shells getting put over late model chassis. if this was a traditional message board people from florida wouldnt even be allowed to log in. if this was a traditional message board there would be no talk of fiberglass kit cars or grown men playing on mini-bikes. if this was a traditional message board samiyam would really have have a 283 in the roach rod, if this was a traditional message board ruling cars like six5monsters roadster, zibos truck,or anything from the vaugnns wouldnt fall off the page in 5 minutes, etc...

9. "Beating a DEAD HORSE" is totally traditional so thank you to all of those that can't be original enough to bring up this subject and contine to try and recessutate this tired old debate. Ryan's original post should have been a locked statement rater than a slow death, 9-month old kicked around corpse.

10. hatch

hatch
    from house

Keep the Florida guys out...leaves more room for the Gaymichiganders.... [​IMG]

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

If I owned this board I would fire all of you then quit.... [​IMG]

12. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

I'm not Gay. My roadster really isn't tradional though. You should have never brought it up on here Ricky..

13. Missing Link

Missing Link

Why does Ryan have to remind people of this every few months? I admit to posting smart ass remarks to posts by people I know, but all in all, I feel that I am here for the correct reason. Regardless...who the hell cares what I think? I don't even care about my own opinions...
    On a serious note, I feel I need to thank all the peeps that have help me out over the last year or so getting my shit together and on the road. I also must say that I have been introduced to some really cool CAR guys and that alone is worth the price ($0!!!!!!!!!) of admission. This be my first "traditional" rod and I plan on keeping that way. You know why? Cuz I dig traditional style. If you don't, please go piss up a rope. Should I start rambling about more dumb shit? i didn't think so...thank you please drive through. [​IMG]

14. hatch

hatch
    from house

Didn't we decide the yellow peeps are the best??? [​IMG]

15. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

if this was a traditional message board then there wouldnt be any talk of bias vs. radials

Oh? Radials have been around probably before you were in diapers.
    But I digress since it seems many of the posters here never lived the "trad" days.
    You read some books and become instant experts.

16. hatch

hatch
    from house

286...I agree...when talking about life before you were born.....studying history before commenting would be advisable.

17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

rickyracer1962,

you can also add:

if this were a traditional message board 97% of us would be lurkers

Paul

18. Missing Link

Missing Link

I'm going to hate myself (more) in the morning for saying this. BUT, weren't the original hot rodders all about performance improvements? I doubt that "looks" had anything to do with it. Well, at least in the early stages. (When all you have is bias ply, use 'em. Use what you like, build what you like, drive what you like, drink what you like, eat what you like. Just stop being a close minded dumb ass. It's all good.)

19. hey 286, how come all the hot rods in my old magazines have bias ply tires?

20. McGrath

McGrath

"Oh? Radials have been around probably before you were in diapers.
    But I digress since it seems many of the posters here never lived the "trad" days.
    You read some books and become instant experts."

ahahaha....More like "Read the HAMB and became instant experts" or is that "Posers"?

I didn't live it. Hell, for that matter my old man didn't either and he's 54. He had two SS Chevelles and an SS Elcamino.

But I do have an Uncle thats as real as "Traditional Rodders" get. Some of you probably got your Doors removed by his Yellow Henry J at the HAMB Drags. Did you see that, I said "Yellow", not Black primer. That car has been the same since the early 60's and has had the "scourge of tradition" SMALL BLOCK CHEVY in it the whole damned time. Held an AHRA record back then too.

He lived it. Tell him that Yellow paint and a SBC are not traditional...

21. hahaha. yeah i'm sure radials have been around long before me, just not on hot rods. if this was a traditional message board maybe you'd give uncle jesse his truck back.

22. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

hey 286, how come all the hot rods in my old magazines have bias ply tires?

Probably they are West Coast mags [​IMG]

Altho not exactly common Ive seen radials on rods in the late 50's. Out East the British cars were all over the place and lots of radials were available. It wasnt until the mid 60's that they became common when Michelin was sold at Sears.

Tom Cahill and others were pushing for US radials even in the 50's. Now, dont ask me who Cahill was.

I consider the 60's as being in the (my) traditional era. I had Michelins on a 63 Impala SS ragtop in 67. Not a rod but they sure made that boat handle. Didnt go radials on a rod until the 70's.

23. Missing Link

Missing Link

[ QUOTE ]
    how come all the hot rods in my old magazines have bias ply tires?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I don't know. ummmm, maybe it's because they are OLD and they had no other alternatives. btw, get a life and a thought for yourself. [​IMG] amazing...

24. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

Which are more traditional - Huggies or Pampers?

25. yeah amazing. maybe someday you guys will get it.

26. McGrath

McGrath

yeah amazing. maybe someday you guys will get it.

Get what? That girly-men from the Gay Capitol of the world think they are natural born Rodders and are naturally right about everything?

27. Paul

Paul
    Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah amazing. maybe someday you guys will get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

all of us on the same day?

awsome!

hey, I do get it, and I wish I could have been here at the start.

this place is.... worth buying a computer for?

I know my shit aint forties trad, and I do dig the really old shit too,

like from the twenties up but,

THIS IS A WAY COOL PLACE TO HANG!!

I also know we need to be reminded what this place is REALLY about.

love you all,

Paul

28. Kustm52

Kustm52

[ QUOTE ]
    hey 286, how come all the hot rods in my old magazines have bias ply tires?

Probably they are West Coast mags [​IMG]

Altho not exactly common Ive seen radials on rods in the late 50's. Out East the British cars were all over the place and lots of radials were available. It wasnt until the mid 60's that they became common when Michelin was sold at Sears.

Tom Cahill and others were pushing for US radials even in the 50's. Now, dont ask me who Cahill was.

I consider the 60's as being in the (my) traditional era. I had Michelins on a 63 Impala SS ragtop in 67. Not a rod but they sure made that boat handle. Didnt go radials on a rod until the 70's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, don't you mean Tom McCahill????

Brian

29. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Hey, don't you mean Tom McCahill????

Of course I did; had a brain fart after reading the newspaper about a plain Cahill!

30. Missing Link

Missing Link

[ QUOTE ]
    Get what? That girly-men from the Gay Capitol of the world think they are natural born Rodders and are naturally right about everything?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the best true statements I have read in months. S.A.D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.