Register now to get rid of these ads!

This is why "NOT" to buy sight unseen..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyinlow1000, Jan 16, 2012.

1. No offense but he ment to do this :rolleyes: instead of this :D

2. trimph1

trimph1

Good thing you caught that BEFORE you drove it!!!! [​IMG]

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

must not be a lot of stress on those strut rod brackets. looks like there is a few miles on them.

4. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

a little grind time, clean the metal and burn it in. no biggie.

sounds dumb, but go get an alignment on it first to see if the front end is even stabbed right before reburning the welds... see if the thrust angle jives with the rear axle.

5. Is it cold in here? Good thing you had it shipped......

6. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

SAM 123 - I agree with you completely, but not all folks can afFORD to go and look at a car or truck before they buy it. (Notice the subliminal advertising ??)

We still hope that people are honest about what they say, but unfortunately in this era a man's word does not guarantee honesty anymore.

As you have said, "Caviet Emtor" (? did I get that right), Buyer Beware.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Caveat emptor.

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

if that's how it was welded in I bet it is probably not installed correctly either. I'd rip the whole thing out..grind the old welds off and put it in the right way.

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Bummer 'bout your new ride, but in this day and age did ya expect a different outcome?:confused:

Be sure to take & post plenty of photos of the corrected welds and fit ups so folks will know just what a real/sound weld does and doesn't look like! Today, they will sell a welding machine to anyone who walks through the door with the money. The only hope of keeping the goverment out of hot rodding & kustoms is to prevent loss of life and property via sound work & design;)

Good luck with your new ride.

" Life ain't no Disney movie ''

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

OOOOH boogerwelds! My eyes are burning! With welds like that, what do you think the alignment is like?

This stuff happens all the time when a guy scratches together the money for the parts and figures he'll save on the labor by DIYing something he's never done before.

11. grainmaker

grainmaker

The worst part of that whole deal is cleaning up the old crap. I would of went for the crown too if I was buying a turn key with hopes of unloading it and driving. Not unloading it and driving into the shop for weeks worth of work.

Jeez- back when I was 6 or so and got taught to weld with a stick welder- I got old plow shares to practice on- and at 6 I could do better then that. My dad would of taken it all away instead of wasting electriciy and plow shares if I welded like that!!

12. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

I've shot snot that looked better than that.:D

Scary stuff for sure :eek: but at least you caught it.

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

In my neck of the woods welds like that are referred to as "chicken shit on a tin roof"!
    I own a good 220 amp Mig, but I get out that old tombstone Lincoln 225A that's about 50-60 years old to weld suspension or other high stress components. That is unless I wnata do some DC welding, then I set up my Lincoln Ideal Arc 250 for stick that I usually leave set up for tig.
    Mig just doesn't penetrate as well, especially in out of position , less than ideal conditions.
    Agree that if they sent the car out of the shop with welds like that, then you should get the whole setup checked for alignment before you fix the welds.
    But TRAILER IT to the line up shop!
    \Dave

14. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

In my day we called weld that looked like that muscle welding. The guys that couldn't weld we would call body builders.

15. Good job you didn't try driving that car to far. I had a rod in the shop for a makover a year or so back that was constructed in very much the same way, it was a 70's build and it was supprising it never fell off the road in that time.

16. I know of a person who bought a car that is a total piece of crap (you really have NO IDEA how much of a piece of crap this car is until you see it in person AND THEN find out how much he paid for it :().

Moral here ... if you personally don't really know what to look for (I am NOT saying this is the case regarding the original post) take someone who does. This person I speak of did not take this advice from me (I had a wedding to go to and couldn't be there for him) so he ended up taking his wife :eek:.

Price paid .... $5,000
    My evaluation .... the 9" rear is worth $100 ... everything else about the car is junk (and I truly mean EVERYTHING). I can honestly say I would not have even paid $100 for the car ... add in the cost of a tow and you couldn't have made your money back in parting it out and scrap value (unfortunately this is NOT an exaggeration ...).

It disgusts me :mad: that someone patched (welded, screwed and riveted) then bondoed (no offense to the makers of Bondo) and crappy painted (along with loads of undercoating tar) this heap with the intention of finding a fool ... in this case (I am sad to say) I know the fool :(.

17. Next time, if there is one try this.

HAMB - start new thread - title - " pick a place" area hambers, can anyone go look at a car for me.

Text box-

.I'm consideeing buying a car in your area Blah, Blah, blah

That works pretty good.

Call a few garages in the area & find one you like who would give the car a once over. Have the owner take it there and have at it via phone.

18. Hahaha, true!

19. smitty city

smitty city

in our shop those are called "goose shit" welds

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What?? People on the HAMB helping others?? Never happen!!:rolleyes:

Bad luck with that car man, that is some nasty stuff!!

Doc.

21. I haven't welded in practice since the course in college ages ago and I still know that's not right. I wouldn't be afraid to tackle sheetmetal, with some practice first, but I wouldn't even attempt to do more than tack something like that before taking it to a pro to finish right.

22. I learned from my last "many miles away purchase" , I will never buy anything again without seeing it with my own eyes.
    The good news is that what you got can be fixed, however, that wasn't in your plan.
    Good luck with it, you will make it right.

23. atomickustom

atomickustom

I never, ever buy ANYTHING sight unseen. Hell, I've looked at enough cars with the owner standing right there and he's saying it's in great shape blah blah blah and anyone with eyes that see and/or fingers that feel can tell that it is a horrible pile of shat. That's when you're there! I like selling cars on the internet but I'd never, ever buy one until I kick the tires and look it over really well.

24. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I always fly out and look at what I'm buying, even then there are sometimes "uglys" found later. I think your issues can be fixed easily by someone with a cutoff wheel and who can weld better... :eek:

I'd also measure all the critical stuff before rewelding.

25. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

All it needed to do was make it onto the trailer.

:D

26. A lot of cars are sold daily "sight unseen", off of the internet. Some of these can really turn out well..others not so much.
    There is a risk involved so calculate the "what ifs" before your commitment.
    If you really want to be shocked, by an old house that the Bob Vila wannbe "remodeled".

27. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

Been there, done that.. and took me 9 years to gut and rebuild my house..

28. trimph1

trimph1

Every car I've purchased was through the local paper. I've learned my lesson. Boy, did I learn it.

Bought a 1940 Ford couple once through eBay...once it came up here I had a friend check it out and lo and behold...massive rust holes in frame...protected by...taadaaaa!!!..bondo.

29. Agree, just grind out the old shit welds and weld it in properly. But make sure it is located in the frame correctly, now would be the time to find out, not after rewelding it!

30. Heo2

Heo2

Been there done that 2 mirrors is actualy easier beacuse you
    dont have to think backwards
    Worked with building and repairing big boilers in powerplants
    so often it was x-ray and preassure test
    Stick and tig
    You had been executed if you showed up with a mig there