Register now to get rid of these ads!

This is what I'm working with

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by norwich25336, Apr 28, 2009.

1. norwich25336

norwich25336
    from Michigan

After doing a bunch of research and counting the lack of bills in my wallet, I've decided to make it a reliable daily runner pickup. First, I found out it's an 1931 AA. It needs the frame lengthened. No problem there as I have a few oddball frames laying about. I also have an early Bronko diffy with springs and perches. The engine and trans are no matter. I'm leaning toward a Pinto 4 cyl with an auto behind it. I'll be running a set of 31's all the way around.

My question is: What do I have to do to put a set of disc brakes on the front? Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks...Brad

[​IMG]

2. Wow, very nice - I dig it.

3. I like it as is!

4. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

do rust repair and drive the hell out of it. looks like an old snow truck.
    Sickly my favorite type of car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Cant help you with the disk brake question but thats one great looking truck. Just my opinion but I think it would look good with a very short bed.

Gary

6. Frank

Frank

There was a guy at the LSR with a 30/31 pickup shortened and mounted on a CJ7 chassis. Looked like a kids toy. Very cool!

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's pretty neat! Does it run as is? If it were me (and I realize it's not me) I would run the Model A banger or drop a rebuilt Model B motor, put a tranny in it with a little better gears, swap the frames like you had already mentioned, throw a later V8 rear in there and swap the brakes for some later Ford juice brakes instead of disc brakes. Unless you're planning on carrying around 2-tons of load, I wouldn't bother with the disc brakes.

Again though, that's my $.02.

To sort of answer your question though, you'll have to see if you can find a disc brake conversion kit for those spindles or you'll have to swap spindles and maybe the front axle as well. You will also be doing a master cylinder conversion and probably adding a proportioning valve as well depending on what the rear brakes end up being.

Good luck, have fun! Don't rule out the early banger stuff man! Model A/B/C engines run FOREVER if done right and are great motors.

8. artemas

artemas

NIce truck. Whats up with the drivers window? is that a wood frame stuck in there?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  9. norwich25336

norwich25336
    from Michigan

Yeah, the window was broken at one time and the wood in there is a cheap @ss temp fix. If I were to go with drum brakes in the front, What spindle and hubs would I need? If I had to swap axles, what years? Thanks again guys.

10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

if you aren't dropping the axle, the 37-48 ford front spindles hubs and brakes will fit the model A axle (using the kingpin from the year spindle you use) to give you 12" drum brakes and match your bronco bolt pattern. if you want disc brakes there are tons of kits out there that will fit. see speedway motors for examples.

11. Will match 78-up Broncos, but if he's reffering to the early Broncos, they were 5 x 4 1/2

12. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

huh, Here I was thinking ALL bronco's had had 5x5.5 ?? Had a (don't know the exact year) bronco rear under the back of a 31 full fender sedan with 5x5.5 thought it was earlier than 78 though

13. Well, I'm not a Bronco expert, I thought the early ones were car pattern...but now that I think about your probably right.

14. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Yeah, there were 5x5.5. Same as the fullsize Fords trucks, Jeeps and old Dodge trucks. On the other hand some F100's had a 5x4.5 bolt pattern like the cars if they were ordered as a light duty pickup (think 300 with a three on the tree, no options). I think they started doing that in the mid 70's up until the last F100 in '83.

Anyway....

15. Meyer

Meyer

Cool truck. I am addicted to trucks. :D The EB axles were 5x5.5

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't later juicers work with the Model A spindles?? I thought you just needed the adapter rings and you were good to go?

17. Looks like it has the Budd cab with the factory one piece filled top, too. The wheelbase is shortened but it's about the same as a regular Model A sedan, coupe or pickup now - I bet a stock pickup bed would fit on there and be just about right the way it is. The proportions aren't bad, either way.

18. norwich25336

norwich25336
    from Michigan

Thanks for the info guys. Now I have a direction in which to head. I've got a set of the old white wagon steel wheels with 31's on them. The tires are like new. A sandblaster will take care of the rust on the wheels. The truck will be going maroon with black wheels and fenders. The wheels will fit the diffy I'm going to be using. Things are looking up!

19. RAY With

RAY With

I like the old truck the way it is. A little TLC and its ready to rumble.