Register now to get rid of these ads!

History this is waht the 50's was about

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimv, Oct 27, 2009.

1. That Batman video reminds me of an old girlfriend.

2. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

Clapton vrs. Wray is another Apples to Oranges comparision, totally different styles.
    I saw Link Wray playing lead for Robert Gordon a few times in the late '70's during the Rockabilly revival that was part of the "New Wave" of that era. Also the "Pepsi" era, and they were rushing thru the songs.

3. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

how can you be from texas and say that you never heard of link wray? Did you spend your life in a phone booth in tomball

4. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

don't think murray the k was playin much link wray

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Love me some Link Ray and Dick Dale too on a side note that Swan label the batman theme was on was also the Beatles first label

6. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Gotta agree, I like the old version with the Belmonts best. I have searched over the years to find the full version of this video, but the short preview is all I ever come up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjYYyCnOP_M&feature=related

lot of complex harmonies.....maybe the greatest DooWop song ever....imo

7. I grew up listening to Doo Wop including Dion. One thing for sure, nobody dressed like that in the '50s or '60s.[/QUOTE]
    For sure, looks like "the Village People.":confused:

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

9. csclassics

csclassics

Dion is great!!, but the og was better I think.

10. axle

axle
    from Drag City

What the heck does Texas have to do with Link Wray?

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

When I hear "I Wonder Why" all I can think of is the scene in Christine.

Arnie drops his girlfriend off at home after Christine choked her. When he gets back in the car, she won't start. Finally he talks her into it... and the radio starts playing "Don't know why I love you..."

[​IMG]

Man I love '50s-60s music as much as the cars. Take a listen to very early Roy Orbison and Waylon Jennings, that stuff is full of soul and talent. Dick Dale is another great already mentioned.

12. autobilly

autobilly

...and IMO "I Wonder Why" is the jewel in their crown.
    While on the subject of Doo-Wop, some might find it interesting that Brian Setzer once told me that of all the songs he's written and recorded, "I won't stand In Your Way" was his favorite. He was disappointed with it's lack of success.

13. Jimv

Jimv

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  14. Jimv

Jimv

afew other great doo whops."theres a moon out tonite" & "one summer night"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xNF9uh8SA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT4LJxBBaF0.
    "theres a moon out tonight " has one of the best endings in doo whop
    JimV

15. You are correct sir! I was at VLV 10 and saw that live. Tons of fun.
    I didn't grow up in the 50's either, but my Dad did and he's the one to turn me on to Chuck Berry, Billy Lee Riley, Cash, Little Richard, Jerry Lee, Gene Vincent, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins, Hank Williams, and the list goes on.

I do think it was regional on what you were exposed to.
    Great music all together though.

16. I didn't read this whole thread.
    Music threads make my head explode.
    My favorite Dion song:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7nVRDuAppRI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7nVRDuAppRI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

18. Travis

Travis

No shitter ever got between him and Christine, and if they did...Watch out!

19. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

20. 296ardun

296ardun

In the late '50s KFWB in LA had one DJ who played only Black music "the best in Negro rythm and blues" was the way they billed it ...but the DJ (Hunter Hancock) played Link Wray, maybe because his music was so do-whop they thought he was Black...we thought that was a real tribute to Link.

21. John B

John B

Even in Ky in the 70's I heard alot of Doo Wop. A couple years ago one of my friends brought in a group called the Bronx Wanderers and they kicked ass at bringing back that feeling.

Count me in that 1% - Ruth Brown was a huge influence on many of the later artists. I remember seeing an interview with Janis Martin where she sang the praises of the one and only Ruth Brown.

22. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

it's wierd that "i won't stand in your way" was the only doowop song he ever wrote (as far as i know anyway) but it really sounds like it could have been written back in then. That really is a killer song, anyone who's never heard it should have a listen.

23. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

Neal Hefti wrote and recorded the version of Batman theme that was in the TV show- Link Wray recorded it after the show came out along with some Batman themed songs he wrote.

Link was one of the best guitarists ever, and he was an influence on both SRV and Mr. Clapton.

Personally, I'd happily trade two Claptons and a Stevie Ray Vaughn for one Larry Parypa, guitarist for The Sonics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw6Fjo6VXTg&feature=related

24. rcr81

rcr81

Link Wray is awsome I listen to him, Dick Dale and alot of Robert Gordon, he really kicks @ss, I can get alot done in the shop when thats rippin. Cousin Brucie is still on 50's on 5 on Satelite I listen to that too. I grew up listening to CKLW out of Detroit and as the years go by I have liked alot of different music but I always like going back to the 50's....it's just the right type of mood music.

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

What that man said x 10! I had the privelege of being involved in bringing the Sonics over to London for 2 live shows last year. I got to hang with them for a while, and apart from being super-nice guys, Gerry Roslie, Larry Parypa and Rob Lind of the original line-up are still head explodingly awesome. I believe they do still occasionally gig, and if you're in to WILD garage rawk'n'roll you could do no better than to check them out. Of course it goes without saying their two mid-sixties albums 'Here are the Sonics' and 'The Sonics Boom' are some of the finest kick-ass rawk'n'roll ever committed to vinyl.
    Paul.

26. Can't believe nobody has mentioned Charlie Feathers!

27. novadude

novadude

I wasn't around back then, but I'd guess that no one in the 1960s outside of the Pacific Northwest had even heard of The Sonics. They seem to be one of those bands whose popularity (if you can call them 'popular') did not come until many years later.

28. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

It always amazes me how few people have heard of him. Made some great music.

29. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Link Way is how it was!
    I am "Luckey" enough to have a Uncle
    who played floor steel at the Louisiana
    Hay Ride in the 50's.
    Me, his wife's snot nosed nephew got
    to go a lot.
    They all laughed at Presley for all the
    colors he wore. They were Wild!
    The old black and white pictures