Register now to get rid of these ads!

History This Is The Pioneer Hot Rodder Who Changed My Life...Who Changed Yours ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Jul 8, 2010.

1. 2x4

2x4

Rod Powell. My dad went to HS with him. I think Rod painted one of his first cars in my grandpa's garage. Growing up we went to his shop all the time. I knew nothing of what he was doing... So many low riders, customs, etc. Once I was old enough, I realized what I'd been exposed to.

Wait, so it was really my dad but Rod was a big part of my dad's hot rod experience since they hung out in school had their first cars together.

I remember seeing the Mork & Mindy car in his shop when I was a kid. It was shaped like an egg. So many other cars where there too including that infamous flamed refrigerator.

Still love the customs of yesterday and seeing what he's doing these days. His work's an inspiriation becase of the relationship and his vision. Definitely feel blessed and grateful.

2. LUMBERJACK 50

LUMBERJACK 50
    BANNED
    from upland ca.

I have to agree with some of the guy's on here.....my dad for sure!

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Smokey Yunick. His theories on rules, "If the rule book doesn't say its illegal, than it must be legal!" and ouright ingenuity helped me persist in building and modifying engines. Thank you Smokey!

4. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

I have to say my Dad was the first leader of the car adventures in my life. Followed closely by Don Bays, Al Elliott, Gil Ferriera, anything by Don Varner, anything painted by Rod Powell and anyone who raced at Fremont or Halfmoon Bay Drag Strip in the 60's

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

2X4, Butcher Boy..

I got to spend some quality time with Rod Powell a few years ago at his Induction at Starbird's. Very neat guy, and an expert at what he does. Doesn't get much better than Rod.

Rod, Mike Alexander & myself had lunch one afternoon, and Rod is just a straight-ahead, honest, Pro. It was a pleasure to be in the company of those two Legends.

JK

6. My Dad gave me the ability to watch and learn then do ,the love of tinkering. He was a master of making something out of nothing I guess the great depression can do that for you. Lost him 4 years ago but his lessons live on in me. Miss him every day. Rob

7. jandersonheads

jandersonheads

8. erlomd

erlomd

I agree...my dad raised me with a wrench in my hand most of the time ,the other on a tractor...lol, if it werent for him, his awesome stories of the stuff he did in the mid fiftys to the music of little richard and chuck berry, it got me hooked...car shows we attended, drag race events at moroso, driving to different states to get old car and harley parts, and every time we had a long strech of deserted highway, he would tell me, lets see what she can do!...he was an incredible man! i love my dad more than words can ever describe...i really miss him

9. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I must know you. Hardly a month goes by that I don't think of John "Lee" Lebhart. Definitely the biggest hot rod influence in my young life, and not just because I come from a family of 100% non-car people. You could go to Lees' house and he would drop everything and talk to you for hours, like a second father. There wasn't anything he couldn't do on a car, and like a seasoned pro. Premium hot rod builder, restorer, artist, sculptor, and keen observer of the human condition. I miss him big time.

-KK (Mike Schnur)

10. [​IMG]

Yep, me too. One of his earliest efforts...................................

11. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Henry Gregor Felsen---he wrote "Street Rod" and "Hot Rod" real early on. I read them over and over in the school library when i was like a freshman. It stuck. That was back in 1956.

12. imnezrider

imnezrider

Althiugh there were a few others along the way, it was my dad who taught me most everything I learned in the time he had. He passed away 2 months after retiring at 65.

Attached Files:

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Ed Roth. When I saw his Mega Cycle,September of 1967 at the state fair in Hutchinson, Kansas. He built more popular cars than that one but to me it is the one that was way ahead of its time and to this day it is my favorite vehicle.

14. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

My late brother Dave "Snort" Roberson and the late Charles Pehl, both had great collections of cars and both had a love for things hot rod and or mechanical. My Dad
    was also a great wrench and gave me most of my early hands on.

15. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Fantastic memories...each & every one ! That's what makes this board, and all who share it, one of the BEST outlets for Rods & Customs on the Planet !

JK

16. Spooky

Spooky

17. Deuces

Deuces

My uncle Joe with his gold '65 tri-powered 389 GTO convertible and my uncle Bruno with his '69 Daytona yellow L-88 427 Corvette.. They bought those new back in the day, but I didn't see them till I arrived here in the States in '71. :)

18. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

The builder of the Little Coffin. I was 8 years old and that was it!!

Old age can't remember his name off hand. Not Darryl Starbird.

The Old Tinbasher

19. the Brocchini blood...

20. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Tinbasher...the original builder of the lil coffin was Dave Stuckey; Darryl restored the car a few years ago, and it's scheduled to be at the KKOA 30th Anniversary Leadsled July 23-25.

JK

Attached Files:

21. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

Eric Truelsen, (My High School auto shop teacher) Anthony DiGiorgio (Tony from Tully Auto Wreckers) Richard Johnston (My Uncle, aka "The Mad Dragger") Rich (One of my old neighbors who had a beautiful '56 210 sedan) Ed Roth (met him at the '71 San Jose Autorama) and too many others

22. hotrod fozzie

hotrod fozzie

my dad got me in this hobby at a young age I was 11-12 when i hand sanded my first car .

Then in H.S. Troy Trepanier got me going with his build of the 60 chevy ("PROBOX")

But JIMMY SHINE in recent years and before that PETE & JAKE there car LIMEFIRE locked me into 30's and 40's cars!!

23. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Ray Brock and Alex Xydias were my mentors in the magazine publishing business.

24. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Denis4x4...

Alex Xydias, of course, a Legendary figure since the beginning...what a GREAT mentor to have !

And, as to Ray Brock, I used to follow all of the articles he wrote. His name on a "byline" always insured quality writing & in-depth research.

Congrats to you on both counts !

JK

25. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Brad/and Carl in mn taugh me to have FUN with cars and drive em!!!!

26. My dad taught me basic auto repair early in life, I was handing wrenches as early as 8 years old but he hated Hot Rods! "Cars are for basic transportation, point A to point B, anything more is bragging, and I hate braggards!"
    When I was 11 years old this fellow student (Aaron Robinson)was always talking about "Hot Rods" and one day invited me to his house to view his Hot Rod, so after getting permission from my folks to ride the school bus to his house he took me out by the barn and showed me his '42 Chevrolet Coupe and told me of his plans for it. I was in awe of his knoweledge and direction. This was the day I wanted to be a Hot Rodder and I never looked back.
    Unfortuneatly, he died at 17 in a bad decision to outrun the police in 1979, in between his jr and senior year. Recently I aquired his never built '42 from the family and have made plans to build it starting the first of the year as I am gathering parts now. The car he named "Wildthing" will be built into a street/gasser soon.
    Thank you Aaron Robinson for the time we spent together and the direction as well as the car club you left for us to enjoy, Street Kings Motor Club est 1976, www.streetkingsokla.com

27. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Roy Delaney, Terry Frost, and Tony Tellier. Gearheads all....and I thank them as I roll around under things, and lean over the fenders (or not) on other things, and tinker, build, R&R, modify and terrify. Roy passed a year or so ago (you can find a thread here on the HAMB about him. Tony is still racing across the SW deserts as fast as he can, and I have NO idea what happened to Terry, a race car builder extraordinaire.

dj

28. Gene Akins taught me all I know about bodywork and welding, then there was Arthur Richmond at Dalton GA who did mechanic work up into his 90's, possibly among the most brilliant guys to ever lift the hood of a car.

29. kingpins

kingpins

all the old men around my way that let me pull up a milk crate and watch them build there cars when i was growing up. still today some of these men are still alive and fight every ounce of energy to get out side in there old age to tinker on there cars. these men have forgotten more than i will ever know about old cars and hot rods.
    but by far my biggest pioneer that changed my life.....my grandpa who mostly raised me and taught me the best he could on how to be a man.he still is a master at old cars in my eyes. he coined the term " slap job rod" before i ever knew what a rat rod was hahaha. still chewing his cigar today i still find my self pulling up the old green pine state milk crate and learning from him.