Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical this is a new one...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gdrummer, Jul 16, 2018.

1. gdrummer

gdrummer

I'm pretty sure no one has ever done this before, its so stupid, i'm embarassed to ask but....

while changing the gear oil in my 4spd tranny, i think its a sm 420, in a 3100 panel, the little plastic cap from the gear oil container fell into the tranny! well there was no fishing it out and it didn't go to the drain hole so, i don't think its comin out. will it be ok to drive it and let the tranny smash it to little pieces and then change the gear oil again or should i just shoot myself and be done with it?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The gears and the bearings in the transmission are tuff enough to grind up the little plastic cap, remember it’s also made from petroleum products.
    But,if the little bugger finds its way into your syncronizers it could make them work odd.
    My opinion....... run it.

Bones

scrap metal 48, chryslerfan55 and F&J like this.
  3. I'd try starting the motor, let it run in neutral and then see if it comes out the drain hole.... I might even remove the drain while it's running.

pitman and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. XXL__

XXL__

I only have a gut feeling on this, not experience, but I wouldn't want it bouncing around in there. Synchros aren't quite as sturdy as the gears themselves.

5. Pull the top cover off and fish it out. Does the floor have a hatch that can be removed?

6. Deuces

Deuces

..... And the old motto is....
    If ya can't find'em.... :confused:Grrrrind'em!!!! :mad::cool::D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    scrap metal 48 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. F&J

F&J

how could that small cap get into a syncro? Run it, it's too f'n hot to work on needless tasks///lol

oh geez, that won't end well...won't be able to get the forks lined up again, and all the f'n floor dirt in there, WITH the plastic cap, and at least one top cover bolt, and a couple lock washers ...lmao

8. If it’s just the little nipple cover for the fill spout, I wouldn’t worry

Try pouring some oil in there with the drain out, it might come out. Or possibly blow some air in the fill and it might fall out the drain

It’s plastic in a standard tranny not much if anything can go wrong.

If you start pulling top covers etc .... if your luck is anything like mine, and it sounds like it is. 2 of the 4 bolts will break, 3 washers and a bunch of dirt will fall in the tranny, you will find the clutch forks worn out, and , and , and it’s runs and drives so go do that !

9. chargin03

chargin03

10. Does it have a side cover for a pto
    Maybe able to remove it that way

302GMC and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I did that with the whole nozzle part in a semi diff. It was Nebraska, winter, cold and I waned to get done.
    I squeezed it too hard and BLOOP, gone.
    I'da bet it wouldn't fit, it did.
    Post amazement glare and I ran it. never a problem. Its still in there.

12. gdrummer

gdrummer

lmao! oh boy guys Ifeel a bit better. Think I'll run it, drain it, run some air through if and keep my fingers crossed! Once again, a great forum.
    Thanks