Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects This girl needs advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kirsten, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Kirsten

Kirsten

Hi all, I have a general question: I am contemplating buying a 58 Cadillac. Engine is bad, ran 20 years ago and has some rust on rockers. 4 door. The price is nice at $700 but I am afraid I won't be able to find a compatible engine replacement as I hear you can't replace it with just any old motor. I am currently knee deep in a 56 Plymouth Suburban Wagon/rat rod resto and I'd probably do the same with the caddy given the fact that she's a 4 door...Does anyone know how hard it is to find motor parts or replacements for this gorgeous beast and is $700 a fair price for a non-running, rusty 4 door?

Thanks for the input!

:confused:

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      125.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Gerg

Gerg

yah there is way more then 700$ in parts on that car if nothing else buy it and put it on the back burner for the time being

3. krooser

krooser

Rebuild the Cad motor... AFTER you finish the MOPAR.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Given she's a 4 door?? Why would you want a Rat Rod anyway... they all look like crap! Make a nice car out of it!! Nothing wrong with a 4 door!

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

shhhhhh....ratrod is not spoken here....

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

don't even think twice. if it is truly rust free...BUY IT

7. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Doesn't look like too bad of a car!
    Price seems right, but under 1,000 is what I buy all my projects for!
    Make a nice Custom out of it!! Not a R*t R*D!!

8. kustombypook

kustombypook

Did you even read her question. She said IT WAS rusty.

9. duste01

duste01

If was running when parked, have it towed to the house and let the cylinders soak in penetrating fluid while your working your current project, and try to get it started.

10. Cruiser

Cruiser

:D It's a great buy for $700., I would buy and put it on the back burner for now. Most likely the motor can be rebuild when your ready or drop a SBC in it with an 8 or 9" Ford rear. Four doors make great cruisers and not to many cars at this price come along often. BUY IT

CRUISER :cool:

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I wouldn't pay over three times what junk yard offers to pick it up for, which would be around a hundred, so three hundred tops.

12. 60'coupe

60'coupe

13. Visible rust is just the tip of the iceberg. Ask anyone that has bought a car with just a "little rust".

But it's never stopped me! :D

14. If the rust is confined to the rockers it is no big deal. But that is unlikely. You need to pull back the carpets and look at the floors, to include the trunk and the area behind the rear seat. Also look a the fenders and around the wheel openings. The motor is a stump puller. The transmission is nothing to get excited about and the brakes will give you gray hair fast. All of this is fixable. But at a price.

Welcome to the HAMB. Do an intro. We like lady rodders.

15. zombiemandan

zombiemandan
    from Wyoming

Offer him 5 see what happens. If your into it 7 is well worth it(as long as the floors are still in it)

16. Squablow

Squablow

A 4 door hardtop for 7 bones is worth it, worst case scenario you part it out and at least triple your money.

I agree, the best course will be to soak the engine for a while and see if it'll free up. If it ends up needing a rebuild, then you'll have to go from there, but I wouldn't pass on it just because it isn't running.

17. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I've owned a caddy with a 365 before. My caddy had rust issues too, but not too bad. The pillars between the front and rear doors seemed to be a problem area. The rebuild parts for the engine are not the cheapest on the block, but can be found. Machinework is the same for almost any engine. Like everyone else has said though, $700 is a good deal for that car... 4door or not. 390's up to '62 will bolt in. '63 and up 390s are a different motor.

18. Kirsten

Kirsten

Actually the current owner did say "fist sized hole" with regards to rust in the rockers...I guess I trivialized it by just mentioning rust in general...

19. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

Cool car. I love 50's Caddys. It'll make a cool cruiser. Check it out real good as has been said for rust in the floors, trunk, rockers, body mounts, floor braces. Starting with a good foundation just makes for easier going later on. Good luck with the wagon.

20. Kirsten

Kirsten

Thanks for all of the awesome advice. And, for the record, when I spoke of the forbidden "R.R." I just meant that I probably wouldn't restore her shiny new. I didn't mean I'd hack her up or anything. I kinda like em when they show their age is all.
    : ) Thanks again everybody!

21. Kirsten

Kirsten

Zombie, 7 is down from 1k. I'm just a girl but I know how to wheel and deal!
    : ) Thanks for the advice.

22. Hard to pass up a $700 Caddy!!!

23. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

WOW! A girl that likes wagons, Caddys, and patina? I didn't know any of these existed. This place could use more like this. WELCOME Kirsten.

24. Kirsten

Kirsten

Thanks! I think I may have posted an intro when I joined last year. If not, here it is;

I've had old cars all my life. I currently have a 56 Plymouth Suburban Station Wagon that is supposed to be returned to me from the mechanic tomorrow. When I bought her it looked like she had sat in 4 feet of water for 20 years. The rockers were so rusted, someone before me had shoved 2x4's in them and then nailed them to the car. The floor was completely rusted through as well and the back where you open the wagon is rusted all around the hinges. I have cut out the floor and welded metal in it's place for now. The mechanic rebuilt the carb and master cylinder for me and she should be driveable tomorrow. The interior is shot but I'm currently taking an auto upholstery class at the local junior college so I can start to do some of this stuff myself. Other than that, I teach graphic and web design at a high school by day.
    Thanks to all for the advice and support!

25. Kirsten

Kirsten

I like beer too. That makes me almost perfect!

26. CrazyUncleJack

CrazyUncleJack
    from OK

Rust? Rust is when you can't lock your St. Bernard in the car because he just crawls out the floor pan.

Don't buy that POS caddy. Just give me the phone number and walk away now. I'll make sure it never bothers you again. :)

27. Concrete B

Concrete B

Nice. You'll have a fan club in no time. I know a guy with a 472 that would power that car down the road, but probably be a of a challenge to mate up. it's in Ohio, but it's there. I want it for my 63.

28. Kirsten

Kirsten

I have one of those too : ) If I decide against it, you'll be the first to know but everybody here has done a great job of talking me into it.
    :)

29. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Rust has become an aesthetic over the course of the last few years, & $700.00 is a good price! Finish the Mopar, and, if you have to, drop the old standby 350/350 in the Caddy. Just remember to NEVER open the hood! Seriously, good luck in whatever you decide to do! Go for it!

30. It's cool that you have a '56 Plymouth wagon - so do I!!! Check the 1955/1956 Dodge/Plymouth thread!

If you have the $$$ and the place to store the Caddy, go for it! It's sat this long, a little longer won't hurt a thing!