Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects This 62 Poncho was calling my name !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, May 11, 2012.

1. racemad55

racemad55

I'm with vintagegasser on the 8-lugs! Repros are available in 15"

2. Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I thought those Pontiac's were 5 on 5, my buddy was trying to say that they were 5 on 4.75... thanks I'll have him read this LOL !!:D

3. it's going to need brakes , and some TLC, lot's of simple stuff to get it road worthy

4. Here we go again! Another Robmobile! Looks like a good one. Funny you mentioned using it as a tow rig for Marshall's altered. That's the first thing that popped in my head as I saw the color and interior as it would be a killer combo for Bakersfield Hotrod Reunion. See, this way you can get Marshall to work on it for you in exchange for towing duties. I see he's already excited about it. Are you going to have to get a trailer to get it home? It sound like it was a ways from T-town. Call me with details.

5. I guess I can't have him eat crow, since he was part right . :D

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Very nice! It's unusual to find a wagon with an interior in such good condition. Since it's a Bonneville it should have a four barrel carburetor.

7. Good to know, I wanted to check...but was running out of time.

8. Jeff, so are you running 15 X 7 all the way around with what exact back spacing ? you stated 4.25 to 5 inches.. What tire sizes are you running ? thanks Rob

9. swe64

swe64

nice car.for wheels this is what i found poverty pontiac hubcaps 56 i think
    will fit cadillac 15 inch wheels and 16 inch 6-bolt gmc wheels
    ken
    sweden

Attached Files:

10. I may go stock wheels with, a 62 Poncho dog dish caps. Does anyone have a pic of the correct dog dish cap for 1962 Poncho... May need to add them to my list to find...

11. my buddy came through with a nice set of H78-14 ribbon white walls from a Fury wagon he has.. went the 15" TTO route the stockers are sitting in the garage.. The tires are mine for the taking... Going to run them to move the car around for now.

12. will do !

13. Coming home this weekend ! yeah !

14. hellerods

hellerods

Just a heads up about the lug nuts if you didn't already find out, drivers side are different thread than passenger side. One side is left hand thread vrs the other side that will be right hand thread-- you can probably quess how I know this about older Pontiacs........Lee PS: You scored a very nice car-- have fun!!

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Great looking wagon...and it already looks killer !!!
    Thanks for sharing..
    Cheers....

16. thanks for the heads up on lug nuts, so what side is the left hand thread and which is right had thread ? :D

17. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

on my 62, they are all the usual thread direction, EXCEPT the rear left...

18. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

The Left handed ones will have a "L" stamped in the end of the stud..
    Easiest way to tell..

19. chico'72

chico'72
    from Belgium

I think "ames performance engineering" have repro clips.
    They reprodruce a lot off poncho stuff ...

20. Should be on the way home as I write this(well on a rollback tow truck )
    LOL,just glad to have it home so we can get back on the road.

21. Thanks, a buddy also recommended Ames also. I need to start making a list & get parts lined up. Need to get the missing Pontiac nose emblem.

22. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

If the clips are from the same source as Fusicks (Olds parts supplier) they don't seem to work well...too brittle

23. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Left hand thread on left side of car....duh! haha.....Mopars were same way...Thinkin' was they wouldn't come loose....

Car looks nice....Gary and I tried to fire her up.....starter is shot, draws to much power...(you probably know this by now though) :D
    May need a matching squirt job like the Altered though...hehe

24. We had it turn over, I didn't watch if the guy tapped on the starter or crossed over
    the terminals. But it cranked over. I didn't want to try starting it and suck the crappy gas
    up to the Carb. It sat along time,didn't want to break anything. I want see if the timing set needs
    to be updated. So paint it to match the altered, hmmm....you offering to do it? Lol ha ha
    Marshall says tri-power ha ha. Going to look for parts on Saturday for it.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  25. Off to the Monroe swap,find some parts for the wagon

I took a few more pics to share. I will post them later.

Have great Saturday, go drive what ya got!

26. Well some small updates, wheels are off and going over the brakes front and rear, new master cylinder, sleeve the wheel cylinders, brake hoses.. Gas tank is out ( I have 15 gallons of 20 year old crap gas to depose of ) Found a Pontiac 400 with ram air cam and roller rockers and turbo 400 automatic that runs great, bought the crossmember and drive line that was also in this 63 Catalina that was coverted over. From what the pontiac tech book the seller had, looks like a 1" difference in the drive length, wagon 119" , passenger car 120"... maybe I'll get lucky and not have to shorten the drive line.

27. If you haven't got to the headlights yet, I would check the dimmer switch.
    Very cool car. The stock engine should push that thing well.

Alden

28. Bought a new dimmer floor dimmer switch from Ames Perf. is was cheap...
    so I throw that at it.

29. if the dimmer doesn't work the contacts in the switch are worn and if you carefully take the switch apart and sand the contacts it will come back to like. i have done loads of headlight switches and unless their is something internally broken (cracked) you should be good to go. do a tech on the switch overhaul if the dimmer isn't the issue.

30. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Cool wagon,I think you have the rite idea about getting TTOs for it,They will look the best.