Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Thinking of my father, Fathers day is at hand.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ricci32, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Ricci32

Ricci32

Its been 4 years since my dad lost his battle with pancreatic cancer. I was thinking what a cool guy and great dad he was. He grew up at a time when hot rooding, drag racing and circle track modifieds were on the rise. He graduated high school in 1956 drove a custom 37 for roadster with a strocked flatty. He raced indian flat track motorcycles.In the 60's he was the president of a local car club the beastbuilders and raced dirt modifieds into the early 70s when he stoped to spend all his time with my sister and i. When i started my own racing career he was right with me until i stopped in 2005. We alway worked together in the shop every day hot rods bikes racecars it was our life. The week before he passed away we out riding together. I never realized how much of my own enjoyment was tied up in his reaction and enthusiasm. After he passed 2008 i didnt go into the shop for 2 years just no desire the flat head motor we were doing a valve job on was still on the motor stand . Im 47 now and have found some new focus hooked up by accident with a group of young guys and we are back working full tilt. Finished the flathead its in a 27 t steel tub. Assembling my dads last project a 36 ford roadster and im completing a life long dream, a kent fuller style early 60's front engine dragster. I know i was lucky to have a great father please tke the time to let yous know you love them. Happy fatherday to all the HAMB Dads P/S Is this the greatest site ever.

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nice story.. I loved my Dad too.. He's been gone since 1990.. Happy Father's Day dad.....

3. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Oh Great, one of these. Now I cant see.
    My Dad couldnt put oil in his car. Pouring 7-UP on the battery and getting rid of the corrosion was a big deal. When I brought home my first project he was supportive. When he busted my in the 65 Cutlass convertable he didnt know I had, he did all the proper screaming and ranting, then drove it to work the next day.
    Prostate cancer, 1988. Missin you large Dad.

4. I lost my father November 21 st 1971 I was overseas and barely made it home for the funeral he was only 42 years old and I do miss him all the time especially holidays and his birthday I was 21 years old.

Frenchy

5. knotttty

knotttty

I lost my dad in 2007... and miss him very much ... I am a father also... 3 great kids.. Its not the same on fathers day... also my dads Birthday is June 14th... so its also on my mind.. I have always thought this song was a great tribute to all the dads out there ... I hope you all enjoy the link..

Thinking of you Dad..

Roy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNL_wGZgV5Q

6. My Dad has been gone 19 years. He was only 52. Heart attack.

He is solely the reason that I love cars. He made me the gearhead that I am today.

I miss you more than you know Dad.

7. WortRod

WortRod
    from california

This is my first fathers day as a proud dad of my beautiful Aubree. It has been hard though to not share the new adventures with the man that was more than just my dad, he was by far my best friend. He has been gone almost 6 years , died at 48 of a heart attack , while I was at work. I would do anything to go back to my last phone call with him and make it a million times longer!!!!

8. Hotweel

Hotweel

I called my Dad in Phoenix today to wish him a happy father's day, good Dad and an awesome artist ,but had zero interest in old cars. I introduced rods and muscle cars to my son at an early age and at 19, he is 100% infected with the same sickness that we all have. Happy father's Day!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  9. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Lost my dad in 2004, miss him everyday. At one time belonged to the 100mph club with an old hopped up 30s Chevy. He rode a 36 Harley in the Santa Monica Mountains when it used to be called "cow trailing". He belonged to a small bike club called the "Cycle Dogs" with one of Hearst family and the son of the originator of the "Popeye" cartoon series. The car in my avatar used to belong to him and I think he would be happy that I put a flatty back after all these years. I learned alot about cars from him and miss the days of going to swap meets for parts.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lost my dad on Aug 14, 2003 to prostrate cancer at age 83. The thing he cherished most in life was being Dad to my two sisters and I and grand dad to the 8 grandklds.

In later years he was even pretty much dad to my two half brothers that my mom had by the guy she left my dad for in the 50's.

He was a WWII vet of the 5th Army Air Corps and the guy who got me interested in cars at a very young age. And the guy who was always there to give moral support when I got older and was working on my hot rods.

11. terryble

terryble
    from canada

My dad was a great guy and passed in 1995, he always made time for me and as he got older I always made time for him. I am truly sorry for all the guys who didn't have that great dad like me. I think long and hard on him everyday and more so on Fathers Day. I remember laying in the crank on his Model T motor and him saying "you finally know more than me". How much more special could that be! Got to go now can't see the screen.

12. grabrr

grabrr

This coming October, my Dad will have been gone 20 years, he died at 52 years old from a brain tumor, not a day goes by that I don't think about him....
    He grew up in the days of hundred dollar Model A's, if you wrecked it, you pulled your plates, and just left it on the side of the road. He was a car guy, but worked his ass off till the day of his last surgery. I miss going to the car auctions with him, where we promised ourselves we'd buy a Model A this time...but we never got the chance.
    I thank him everyday for making me get into the same trade as him, and I owe everything I have to him. Thanks Dad! Happy Fathers Day!

13. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

Im not sure if dad is why i like cars, but im sure he was at least a part of it, I grew up looking at his '70 satellite 383 4 speed car. He was always working on something mechanical. Although he wasnt the easiest to get along with, he had no problem telling us kids "I love you" and thats at least one good thing i have passed on to my kids. He had a temper, which most dads do time to time. We got into a couple physical fights, and they were all one sided, i had too much respect for the man to hit him. I remember when he came to see me when i finished basic training, it was one of the few times i saw the big guy tear up. Its a good memory that ill always treasure. I asked my wife to marry me in front of our parents on valentines day '99. He was proud. about a month later he had an accident with an allis chalmers tractor he had restored and passed away. He never got to see his kids get married, he never got to see his grandkids, He lived through vietnam, only to have his life cut short by one of the machines he loved. he had retired about 6 months before the accident and was a totally different guy. we started to get along great and have fun together. The last time i saw him i was in a big hurry to go, we always have crap more important going on. but i know when i left i gave him a big hug and told him id see him later and that i loved him. I guess the moral of my rant is this. Never take your old man for granted and take a extra couple minutes to shoot the shit with the old man, you just never know when youll get that call and your life will never be the same.........and dont be afraid to tell him how you feel, I love and miss you dad!

14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

my dad died 4 yrs ago at the age of 86, what a dick

15. 3onthetree

3onthetree

Ricci32, I can understand you not wanting to go into the shop for a while to allow time to grieve. I remodeled my fathers garage after he passed and redid everything except for a shelf of parts and a rack of tools which are exactly the way he left them. I'm sure your father would want you to continue on with what you both enjoyed.
    While my father wasn't a hotrodder, I learned a whole lot by peeking over his shoulder when he changed the oil in the family sedan or did maintenance on his school buses.
    In case you're watching pop, I still fill the oil filter with oil and smear oil around the gasket before putting it on.
    Dammit, now I can't see the fricken screen.

16. Jimm56

Jimm56

Lost my Dad yesterday. Only 87 years young. He taught me everything I know about working with my hands and head. His funeral will be Monday since it just ain't right to bury your Dad on Fathers Day.

17. trollst

trollst

My stepdad, who WAS dad, passed away May 18, 1983, heart attack, having breakfast with my sister, easily the greatest loss in my life. I'm 57 now, still miss him bad, some people are giants, nobody can fill their shoes.

18. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

My First Father's Day without my Dad. Lost him on this Christmas Eve Past. My love for Hot Rods, Cars in general, and Racing comes from him. My little Sister has his restored '31 Deluxe Rumble Coupe, may have to drive my Coupe to her house, to have her take me for a drive in his car. Miss him every day, what I wouldn't give for just a little more time with him..............

19. Ricci32

Ricci32

I guess we were very lucky.

20. my dad wasn't a hot rodder - he perferred a 6cyl any day - my bro and I streached the bar - modifying our motorbikes or dropping a V8 in where a six was much to his displeasure....as he said from the get go - you pay to buy it - you pay to fix it - and you buy insurance for it before it leaves the driveway....that was way back in 1971 on my motorcycle looong before you had to have it....

he wasn't easy to be around and I will miss his negitive crap (not) - but he was my dad and he always will be....happy fathers day JMF jr.....

21. fiftee6effie

fiftee6effie

I lost my dad 19 years ago, Appreciate your Dad while he's around cause you don't know what you got till he's gone! I miss you Dad!!!!!!!

22. Nothing Ide like more then to wish my dad and stepdad happy fathers day. Damn I miss them. (Miss my Mom too)

23. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

This is gonna be my very first fathers day as a new dad. Pretty exciting.

24. My Dad was a quiet guy he spoke alot with his eyes funny how that gets passed down . My two boys,10 and 12, just have take one look at my face to realize all is good or not well .Dad would sit at the table and look at me when my guys were getting into trouble with a certain look . I would say " ya I know its my turn!" still makes me smile.
    He is gone now 6 years and I miss him every day he was a great Dad and my ability as a tradesman is all his doing , and I feel blessed he gave me the gift to watch and learn and the common sense to use it .
    Love you Dad.

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

pop gave me nothing, and gave my Mom nothing but grief. he kicked the bucket around 1995. I didn't even care, hadn't seen or heard from him since 1972.

fuck him.

people who have their pop in thier lives as adults, don't ever take that for granted.

26. fiftee6effie

fiftee6effie

I feel for you 49ratfink, my dad was far from perfect but forgiveness is a healing thing.

27. 500 single

500 single

I lost my dad this past December, so this will be my first father's day without him. I owe him for my love of all things mechanical, and hot rods in particular. He wasn't the easiest guy in the world to get along with, but we had a good rapport nonetheless. Love you dad...

28. I lost my dad in 1972, a true craftsman. He was a cabinet maker and a butcher. He taught my brother and I how to use our hands and brain at the same time. Have missed him for years. Happy Fathers day to all you dads out there.

Lee

29. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Lost my Dad to cancer in 1999. He was the best and I miss him everyday. Happy Fathers Day Dad and thanks for everything you did for me!

30. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

First one for me without my pops around too... He passed away, wow, about 5 months ago to the date, at the age 55 from cancer... Worked horse ranches and rodeo, rode Harleys with a well known club in Fresno in the 70s and finished his years hauling stuff from one coast to the other.. Been in thoughts all week... If you're lucky enough to be able, let your pops know how much you appreciate him this weekend...