Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinking of Larry Watson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Wow, what more can I add to this?

My thoughts and all the best to Larry. You can beat it when you know you can, my friend.

Nothing short of a legend, Larry's style and innovation was strictly a So Cal thing in those days. I was fortunate enough to get out from the midwest to LA a few times in the 60's and see those rows of Watson-painted cars in the shows and be able to see them cruising Harvey's.

I had the means, so, combined with Larry's influence, I went home and created several of my own Watson-inspired late model, wildly painted mild customs over the next few years.

It's been great reading all of these stories. I never had the chance to meet him, but anyone of his stature who takes the time to talk to any and everyone, as so many of you have indicated, is truly a hero.

2. bbb

bbb

Get well soon Larry, your an inspiration. The 59 Caddy is you painted is one of my all time favortites :)

3. elricho

elricho

Get well soon-you would have to be my biggest influence in the cars I have built-thankyou Larry Watson[​IMG]

4. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

I got the scanner out at the risk of being sued... :D

The book is called Custom Cars of the 1950s by Andy Southard and Tony Thacker. Photos taken by Andy Southard. Annotation as per what's in the book:

Attached Files:

5. Joe Grippo

Joe Grippo

Positive thoughts to Larry Watson....

[​IMG]

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

A true visionary,... cars are his medium, We look at cars and see a car, with shape and style,.... He looks at them and it's a blank canvas,... just ripe for the masters touch. I can't think of one of his masterpieces I didn't like.

Larry Watson set the Custom Paint world on it's ear,.... A true pioneer & one of a kind,.... Many people have adapted, copied & imitated his style and call it there own,.... Truth be told, there is, and always will be Only one,.. Larry Watson. All others that preform similar work,.. Are only expressing the most sincere form of flattery.

There are only a handful of people that reach "Legendary" status in there own lifetime,
    Larry Watson is one of these people,.... God bless you and your family Larry.

Isaiah 40:31
    "But they that wait upon the LORD, shall renew there strength; They shall mount up with wings as eagles; They shall run, and not be weary, and they shall walk, and not faint."

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  7. sololobo

sololobo

Lucky enough to have met him at a chance visit to the Barris shop in 1960, treasure the moment. I thought I had met a god, and it turns out I did! ~Sololobo~

8. Tinman

Tinman

Incredible imagination & creativity with the talent to physically express it. Rare traits, especially in this little nook of our world.

I love Larry's work, but most especially a certain candy green & silver flaked '59 Ford pictured somewhere on his walls, and can only hope to meet him and thank him for all he's done.

Larry, if you read this, get well soon man!

9. RIP LARRY.... A True Friend & Game Changer!!!

10. Moldy

Moldy

I Just got the news Larry Passed away at 3:00am this morning.
    I'm very upset, will start a new thread...

11. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

This news is bad, a true legend.

Nick.

12. 64C20CrewCab

64C20CrewCab

RIP Larry - I've always liked your work!!

13. f1 fred

f1 fred
    from mn

I just want to pay my respects he was an immense talent.

14. I have these 3 photos that I shot at the Drag N' Shop BBQ. I don't remember how many years ago this was but Larry was always at those BBQ's. I first met him at a shop bbq with Al Lazarus, Larry will be missed, I know I miss him. R.I.P Larry!!! Thanks for being such a cool dude.:cool:

Attached Files:

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's a sad sad day... RIP

16. Abomination

Abomination

For fun, here's Larry's IMDB file: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0914766/

Between 1967 and 1985 Larry ended up in 141 different shows, such as MacGyver, Columbo, and Mission Impossible.

17. VonWegener

VonWegener

I am sad today. RIP Watson. You were the real deal.

18. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Not a good day, RIP Watson

19. Ah no - say it ain´t so. RIP Mister Watson.

20. Sad day indeed. You will be missed Mr. Watson, thanks for leaving us with so many beatiful works of art to remember you by.

21. rick finch

rick finch

R.I.P. Larry, none better.:(

22. texastramp

texastramp

This really is sad news .........

23. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Yet another Legend falls, very depressing , RIP Larry your work will live on forever.

24. Sailor

Sailor

A true hero.

Attached Files:

25. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

That it is.

26. Whoa. Not what I expected to read today.

Damn.

We'll miss you buddy.

BloodyKnuckles

27. MUNCIE

MUNCIE

A sad day indeed...May he rest in peace.

28. Hot Damn, nothing stays the same.. I remember seeing some flames Larry did, in the mid-nineties, on a car at tuxies.. Black with yellow to orange & red, but pinstripped twice. Once on the flames edge & the other about a quarter away. But the outer stripe danced, if you will.. not exactly following, but accenting. thanks for all the eye candy! Jay