Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinking about starting a Hot Rod School as part of my shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SakowskiMotors, Dec 9, 2009.

1. dotcentral

dotcentral

Interesting points to consider. I wonder if "Continuing Education" courses, as opposed a "Tech School" have less stringent requirements? Or some other type of name for your training that won't raise flags with the government. You have a good and honorable idea, I'd hate to see the state shut you down or impose a hefty fine. You may want to investigate the issue.

2. RichG

RichG

Sure, start something like this as geographically opposite of me as possible!:p

All kidding aside, good luck with your concept, I salute you for having the desire and drive to make a difference.:)

3. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

I am talking to an attorney now about how it can be done within the law for the first round. It seems that there is a legal way to do it if you are not being a "college or education facility" / big time school. That will come with all the permits etc if the first time goes through. I think I am just going to "rent a stall at my shop" to people who want to come this time around. Then we will see from there. They can rent the storage stall and have daily access. Then we go from there.
    Wil
    I do sincerely appreciate the heads up.
    If I do want to grow this thing, I will have to jump through the hoops.

I am not really wanting to be a giant training center school or to evolve into one. That is not for me, which makes it different than other opportunities for people.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  4. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Go for It!! There's nothing more satisfing as Passing on what you know. I taught Auto Body repair for 12 years and it was great. The key is to have a balance of Hands-on and theory, and keep the theory to the point. Teach the theory, show them how and then let them do it until they get it and you'll do well. 20 years later I still go back and fill in when the school needs a instructor.

Have fun: The Old Tinbasher

5. I think this is a great idea.
    We hold a weekend class at our shop and i have a blast doing it.
    Not only do i get to show off some of my tricks but i also learn a few.

I have two guys that attend trade school for auto restoration, stop by my shop once a month. Every time they leave they tell me they have learned more in the weekend then they did all month at school.

this kind of hands on stuff is what they need.

I feel the trade schools are a JOKE.

johnny

6. jangleguy

jangleguy

You're a hero for even considering this. I hope you can make it happen. You haven't mentioned how much you'd charge for these courses. Have you gotten that far yet?

7. mottsrods

mottsrods

Will, that right there is the statement of the century..... I get kudo's from anyone whose ever come into my shop and seen me work. I do specialize in Ford Model A restoration, but can do anything, because I like to learn. Plus, they see me so everything with a prosthetic, and it gives them a "can do" attitude.

My grandfather told me two things my whole life..... "If you don't learn at least one new thing, every single day, then you've wasted a day of your life"...... and as he abbreviated it to me "LLLUR"....hehe "Look, Listen, Learn, Understand, Remeber". His first drill sergeant told me that when he was in the Army just before WWII... told him that would help him make it home.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Mott

8. swimeasy

swimeasy

If you hang with your idea ,I can assure you that it will work. Be in it because of the way you feel about teaching-learning and the money will come along. Good luck,man!

10. flights_of_fantasy

flights_of_fantasy

Hi all,

I am newbie on ответственное хранение в транспортно складском комплексе
    I am doing my project CompactLogic L43 and FT View SE HMI which has some of control valves and motors.
    I would like to add/create a common faceplate for valves divices I have 4 shutdown valves when click on valve objects to open/close and objects status.
    Note: tag name of valves will be assigned when click on each valve.
    I had seen the sample faceplate in FT View SE but It should not be used in my project.
    Anyone has experiences to do this of has sample for this, advice me to do like that?

Thanks all

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Sigh........... read and weep.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335667

Think it though. The good student, the one that sincerely wants to learn would be able to do it without any help from anybody else anyhow. School is about motivation, and with motivation, school is redundant. If everybody was motivated, schools would become extinct.

In the end, when your ex-student can't get a job, it'll be your fault. When your ex-student screws up, it'll be your fault for teaching it wrong. His mom will come yelling at you for cheating him. If a shop hires him, every time he fails it'll be because of you.

In hands on skills, we all learn by doing. Telling somebody how to do something is no better than if they read a book on their own and try it themselves. The fact is, a person retains more of what he reads for himself than what somebody else tells him. Therefore in the end, all of the 'schools' that tell people how to do something are kind of like pissing in the wind.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Maybe if you actually read Will's post you would understand. He knows the shortcomings of WyoTech and schools like that. He wants to address those. Which is why he wants to a much smaller scale. So people don't fall through the cracks and end up like those that are getting complained about in the other thread. Knowing Will I would give someone that went through his proposed deal a shot way before one of the other schools.

13. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

If I were a younger man... I'd be packing my bag right now!

14. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Hey Wil, that sounds so bitchin!!! That would be the coolest!!!

15. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Wil, I think what you are doing is great. This Grass Roots shop introduction is just what these guys need that are interested in getting in on building traditional rods and customs. Also like the short course ove a weekend for those can't go full time . You are providing a great service for these guys.

41 Dave

16. tom heath

tom heath
    from Enid, Ok.

there is so much to learn in a shop you cant under stand it all in a fue month's it takes years and that takes commentment. not every one has it' no matter how much they WANT IT. dont take this the wrong way but after years in my trade I would see teacher's from local colleges come in and buy materals and in my opione diden.t know they'r butt from a hole in the ground; and they are teaching our kids. if they would only say "it will take years to learn" not "when you graduate you will make big bucks" then the schools will do wonders in high school shop i used every thing i learn'd over the years but that was years, not next week. and so often in the past years I thank of the old addage'' Those that can-'do' 'those that cant - 'teach' sorry Tom

17. RichG

RichG

Wrong board partner, you need to go to http://www.ab.com/ , then find the online support for your device (I'm not sure if your issue is with how to program or what to program...). I'd love to help you but, 1) wrong place, and 2) too many years with Modicon Plc's, dang near forgot how to do AB's (my last one was a PLC2 with a suitcase interface if that tells you anything!)

18. Hellfish

Hellfish

A few years ago, we (Chrome Czars) started a monthly winter tech series to teach some basic skills (e.g, wiring, fabrication, etc). We did it for a few years, then let one of our guys' shop (Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle) take it over. I think it's in it's 5th year, and the classes almost always sell out (around 20 people). We stear clear of things that could get us into legal trouble, like chassis welding (e.g., student's weld fails and blames us, etc). We offered lunch with each class, all for $20.

GMCBubba started something similar this year in Indy, but his classes are more detailed and longer, but teh same idea - hot rodders teachig hot rodders. It's a great idea and a great service to the community

19. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by zman [​IMG]
    Maybe if you actually read Will's post you would understand. He knows the shortcomings of WyoTech and schools like that. He wants to address those. Which is why he wants to a much smaller scale. So people don't fall through the cracks and end up like those that are getting complained about in the other thread. Knowing Will I would give someone that went through his proposed deal a shot way before one of the other schools.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Well, well. You have great insight! You presume that I posted my reply without (actually) reading Will's post? Just hit the button and raveed on........! Is that what you think?

But anyhow, Thanks for allowing me to reply; Wyotech is the benchmark of this idea. Anything 'smaller' (as you say), will be............?.. oh yea, smaller..........

Voc/Techs, whateve the size, can't teach people to do hands-on, by some majical method that is superior to On The Job Training.

This has proven out over, and over, and over again.... CAll it what you want. However you lable it, people can't be taught things that they don't do in real-time. In real-time, the most efficient way is On The Job.

Again, the real culprit here is the modern (wanna-be) businessmen that are just too damned selfish to train new-hire. They dream about some majical place that trains people and dumps them on their doorstep, ready to make them a lot of money. It just don't wash.

The successful businessmen, hot rod shop or whatever, with vision, are still training people. They hire them, train them and leave all of you guys that won't train people in the dust.

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

So now the shop owners are to blame? :confused: WyoTech as well as these others schools represent themselves to be prepairing their students for a job in the industry. They get here and they are not prepared. And now it's our fault. I still train people for jobs. But when someone walks through the door and represents themselves as ready to do the job, and I give them a shot, and they're not. It's now my fault. :confused:

There is a serious lack of skilled labor available right now. If I am expected to pay someone but I still have to hold their hand and show them how it's done. I mind as well save the money and just do it myself. :(

But then again by your wisdom we should be doing paint jobs for $300 in materials. :eek: