Register now to get rid of these ads!

thinking about getting this truck

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by kozik, Oct 22, 2008.

1. kozik

kozik

Hey. been reading hamb for a while. none of my current rides fit the criteria, as i am into late 60's cars and bikes...but I am thinking about buying 1 of 2 project vehicles-ones a complete 39 ford truck the other is about 1/2 or less of a 56 chevy gasser proect. I am sorta thinking real heavy on the gasser, but the more I look at the truck...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

all the parts are there its got a complete flathead etc plus hubcaps that match the steering wheel with a V8 symbol on them. what would a fair offer be for this truck?

-Thanks

Frank

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. Just Jones

Just Jones

you don't mention the condition of the sheetmetal the truck has, but if it is as good as the pix make it look, it might be a good project. You have to ask yourself what you want from this truck, though. If you are into muscle cars (and the power that comes with them) you'll find that a flathead in an old truck is something less than fast - fun, yes, but not fast unless you really warm that sucker up.

I bought a '40 Ford pickup in very similar condition with a seized boat anchor flathead for $1000 five years ago, and felt like I got a hell of a deal, but I'm in So Cal. In today's market (again, SoCal), a solid '39 pickup like you describe could go for $3000 - $5000. Really, it is only worth as much as you want to pay and the guy will agree to, though.

Best of luck, both projects sounds like they would be a blast!

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

You wouldn't happen to be Mr Kozik the artist? The truck would be awesome. Check out Dan Collins' 39 Pickup. Pic by Scootermcrad

[​IMG]

4. kozik

kozik

man thats a sweet looking truck.

the sheetmetal on the truck I am looking at is pretty ok, theres a ton of dings and not too many rustholes, a lot less than on my last project. I was kinda thinking the truck might be cool to use as an actual truck to haul stuff around in
    and also to practice metal finishing on etc. I have plenty of stuff that goes really fast, so a pokey truck might be cool. I fixed up an old Dodge M37 weapons carrier a while ago and even tho it wouldnt go over 45 mph it was a blast to tool around in.

the temptation is all the parts are there and the engine, while in pieces has been rebuilt more or less already.

thanks for the response. yes im the 'artist' dude.

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Welcome to the Hamb man! Go for it and good luck. I've always had a weakness for 38/39 Ford Pickups. Check out the Friday art show threads on here. Pretty cool....

6. Muttley

Muttley

Welcome, '39's can be cool despite what most people think. Here's a couple of pics of my old one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]