Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinkin' bout a Caddy..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratroddude, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

I have a trade in the works , a guy is interested in my '57 Wagon project , and he is willin' to trade me this Caddy , I like my wagon , but , this Caddy has the updated 425 cu. in Caddy engine / trans from a '78 model Caddy , new floors , and best of all , its road ready less a sloppy steering box , I am early into my '57 project , what do you think?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. That caddy is pretty sweet. And will probably always be more sought after that a '57 wagon.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Man I dig those caddys, I'd probably trade just cause it's a runner!!

4. Fiatdude

Fiatdude
    from SoCal

Slam Dunk -- No Brainer -- Just Do It -- What cha waiting for??????

Hell -- I'll trade your wagon for it LOL

5. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

It's preety cool , it has new floors , no rust , paint is mildly crusty , but , nothing a weekender paintjob wouldn't fix , air works if charged , like I said , a sloppy steering box is all it needs , he said a new one was $350.00 , the wagon has no engine , but , it is a New- Mexico car, pristine body , I have the floors about 75% done from a moron putting the wagon in a north carolina grassy field I am supposed to give the wagon , the more-door parts car , and a grand , sound decent? , my wagon has no runing gears at the moment....

6. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Oh, man, I'd pick that up in a heartbeat. But I've been itching for a 50's Caddy luxo-cruiser for a while.

But then again, what's the 57 wagon project? I like them too!

Devin

7. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Digg'n the Cad idea here!

8. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

Not much more you need to do to the caddy......I say do it.

9. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

That caddy is bad ass i say go for it! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain

10. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

No brainer. Go with the Caddy.

11. r8odecay

r8odecay

12. buickbybirth

buickbybirth

Its hard to beat an old caddy much less a driver but even with that if I liked what I had better than what I'm getting I would stay put unless I needed to make a buck and the trade was in my favor.

13. duc76

duc76
    from OKC, OK

I can tell you this, my thread would start with "Thinkin' bout a Caddy.. " It would be "I'm a proud owner of a Caddy!"

So go for it..

14. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Lets see a pic of the wagon, sounds good but what wagon are we talkin here?

15. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

16. BISHOP

BISHOP

I looked at the wagon........... hurry up on that trade.

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

+1 big time!

18. Rock the Caddo brother!

19. Sauli

Sauli

I´d stick w/the ´57 Chevy wagon. I´d say You´re a lot better off working on a Chevy You took apart Yourself than a Caddy with a lot of mis-matched parts that someone else put together and is now looking to get rid of. Sorry.

20. If you're giving him cash you're taking it in the shorts dollar-wise.

Caddy's worth around $5000 give or take, I'm assuming it's not perfect, and the 425 is one of the downsized smog motors - not worth a lot.

'57 Chevy wagon worth about $4000 but the guide notes add 10% for A/C, 15% for Power Pack (which you noted locating and sounds like it would be entirely correct for this car), and a factory limited slip on a '57 is so rare people will argue if it even exists. So it's worth around $5000 without even adding in the parts car, that if I assume is a 150 or 210 4dr is worth another grand or so.

And you can sell a '57 Chevy all day long - a Caddy 4dr is going to be a tougher sell. Too many doors. The wagon is a more desirable body style by a notch or two.

Also, when it comes to parts, you can about throw a rock in any direction and find stuff that works for a '57 Chevy with a Chevy motor. Caddy stuff can be had but tends to be harder to find and more expensive. I would imagine the guy had to make his own floors for it, for example. Which means you need to make sure the car doesn't say "STOP" and "SPEED LIMIT 55" or "Drink Coca-Cola" on the bottom.

Last but not least, it depends on what you want - do you want the pleasure of building a car, or do you want to just go drive and have fun? Even on that note - I suspect the '57 will be cheaper to drive when done, if that's a factor at all for you, it should get better gas milage anyways.

21. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Well, the guy came to look at the wagon today... he said he thought I said it was a 2 door wagon , so , needless to say , the deal didn't go thru....but , sold his buddy some '51 Chevy fenders , so not a total loss day , real good dudes , and another good car / part resource , so all in all , good day...:)

22. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

23. GREASER815

GREASER815

You have not traded yet, that project...for a runner. DO IT!

24. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Ahh, would'a been a good trade I think! Ya can't beat them 54-56 Caddys! And unless you go to Elvis' car museum..there aren't many of them around.