Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Think this stromberg 97 can be fixed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marman1950, Sep 27, 2016.

1. marman1950

marman1950

[​IMG]
    So I got this on EBay... had it for about a month. When I got it in the mail, the box looked damaged. I looked over the Carb and didn't see any damage. Clearly I didn't look close enough. About a month after I noticed it was cracked.
    I'm thinking it can't be fixed. What do you guys think? Anybody have any small 97 parts laying around?? Thanks guys...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. marman1950

marman1950

Oh, in case you can't see it... it's cracked around the fuel inlet.

3. George

George

JB Weld, perhaps...

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Not without looking like it has been repaired.
    I would guess someone handy with a tig welder maybe.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Nothing quite like watching your own engine burn & not having enough clothes to throw over it ...

Flatblack 31 and H380 like this.
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd try something like "Muggy-Weld" on it just to see what would happen. If it doesn't work, what have you lost?

7. Fedman

Fedman

No.... Not No.... But Really No!
    As was said you do not want to watch what you have built Burn!
    For what ever that piece of casting would cost....... come on, really?
    Good Luck with the build and keep it safe! :)

C. John Stutzer and Dave Mc like this.
  8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Get a bowl from Uncle Max and get past it.

9. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I can sell you a clean used bowl for $30. Or max can sell you a new one if you would prefer.

slack, Dave Mc, Fedman and 1 other person like this.
  10. marman1950

marman1950

Is it a small logo 97? I'll buy it for $30. I'd like it to match my other small logo.

11. marman1950

marman1950

I know it's not high PSI... I'm sure JB weld could work but the chance of failure would result in a nice BBQ! Damn pot metal. I'm thinking if I do JB weld I'll be thinking about it leaking every mile!!!! Seems like a lot of work when I can buy a piece for less then $50 and never have to worry about it.

timwhit and clunker like this.
  12. carbking

carbking

JB Weld will work fine IF YOU USE THE BOWL FOR A PAPERWEIGHT!

JB Weld will get soft over time when exposed to gasoline. Test it. Take a couple of pieces of junk and glue them together, and seal in a container of gasoline for about 3 months, then see what has happened.

Some people seem to feel they can throw anything in a box with no packing, and it will be delivered safe and sound. I could show you some real heartbreak about stuff that has been shipped.

Suggestion: buy the used bowl (above), and make a conversation piece out of this one. You will get at least the value of the bowl in "stress relief" just showing it to your friends.

Jon.

uncle max, Andy, 302GMC and 1 other person like this.
  13. marman1950

marman1950

Very true.... a lot can be said about bubble wrap! Also... pay for the insurance to match the value of whatever you ship. The USPS flat rate boxes are insured only for $50. Anything else is extra.
    Yeah I think it's just not worth fixing.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hey...I've got used bowls. We'll flip a coin, winner gets bowl and carb!
    Does that carb look bead blasted? If so I'd take it completely apart and wash with detergent before thinking about fixing it even.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I you decide to replace it and don't need a paperweight or conversation piece, you could send it to me and I'd like to try some "Muggy-Weld" rod to see if it works on these carb bodies. I have a bunch of it. It works real well for some things, and not at all for others. I'll pay the shipping if you are just going to toss it. Think it over.

51 BIRD, C. John Stutzer and 302GMC like this.
  16. carbking

carbking

Not familiar with the brand "Muggy-Weld".

Years ago, there was a snake-oil salesman at the Iola swap meet selling a rod that he demonstated would weld pot metal.

Since at the time we had several older carburetors that are made from the unobtainium type of pot metal, I bought some of the rod. When we got back to the shop, I gave some of the rods and several different samples that looked like the pictured unit in this thread to a local welder (my welding of any kind looks like the underside of the desk I sat in when in 5th grade ;) ). He fixed the cracks in the samples. Being of an over cautious nature, I sat them on the shelf, and went back to look at them a few weeks later. Each had cracked along the edge of the weld.

If it were a door handle, go for it. Around gasoline, why take the risk?

My nickel (inflated 2 cents) opinion.

Jon.

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're right of course, but my curiosity always gets the best of me. "Muggy-Weld" is a US made product with a good reputation; the stuff at the swap meet was probably rejected by Harbor Freight.:D

18. Jon is correct. ^^^^

I once rode from New York to Missouri with a crack in my fuel tank, right around the pet cock. I would ride until the JB Weld started to really leak, then I would shut down, drain the fuel, clean it good and JB weld it again. Took me 4 days. I lay over at my little brother's house and silver soldered the crack then went onto Calif. JB Weld is wondrous stuff but it is not fuel proof.

In answer to the original question nearly anything can be repaired but not everything is worth repairing. That is not the part of a Stromberg that is usually trashed on a junk carb. would look for a cheap junked out carb and use that piece of it.

timwhit likes this.
  19. marman1950

marman1950

[​IMG]

Ironically I bought this Carb to replace the original cracked one. This one is beyond fixing. I'm having bad luck. Fortunately the man I bought this one from is a stand up guy and sent me a replacement at no charge. Glad to know there are honest, stand up guys out there. I'll send him the USPS refund when I get it... probably in 2-3 weeks. Unfortunately it was only insured for $50.
    Wrap them up good guys!!!! This was only wrapped in paper. When I got it in the mail yesterday there was a hole in the box that matched the brass fitting on the fuel intake perfectly.

20. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

I rebuilt a set of 97's ten years ago. Took my time, and detailed them. I started to screw the brass fuel plug in one, and it cracked in that very same spot. Made me sick to my stomach.

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

At least the 97's are being made new. I found a 81 that had the same damage, and those bowls are getting very hard to find in usable shape.

22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I did a repair on a Stromberg lid where the choke pivot broke off. I used the low temp welding rod from Harbor Freight. Worked ok. The problem I was fighting was the wide dime diameter flame from a propane torch. If a guy had a smaller flame tip for detail work, it may work. Just as the parent metal, and filler would melt, a large area around the repaired area would get too soft. Once sanded smooth, and soda blasted, DSC09766.JPG DSC09765.JPG you would not see the repair.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=aluminum+welding+rod

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a jewelers Oxygen/Mapp gas setup I use for stuff like this. You should be proud to do as well as you did with a propane torch. The oxygen cylinders (the same size as a regular propane cylinder) are expensive and non-refillable, so make sure you shut them off completely, or you will get one session out of them. On the other hand, the torch sets themselves are pretty cheap.
    I have a jewelers Oxygen/Mapp gas setup I use for stuff like this. You should be proud you did as well as you did with a propane torch. The oxygen cylinders (the same size as a regular propane cylinder) are expensive and non-refillable, so make sure you shut them off completely, or you will get one session out of them. On the other hand, the torch sets themselves are pretty cheap.