Register now to get rid of these ads!

Think the new interface sucks? Here's how to get back to an "old style" one.

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by chickenridgerods, May 14, 2014.

1. If you don't like the way the new HAMB layout looks, there is a way to get back to one that more closely matches the old one (and other common UBB/vBulletin/XenForo/etc designs).

Here's how:

1) Click on the person icon at the top right of the screen.

[​IMG]

2) Click on "Preferences" on the menu that appears.

[​IMG]

3) Click on the drop-down menu at the top of the dialog that appears.

[​IMG]

4) Select the "Default Style" option in the drop-down menu.

[​IMG]

5) Click on "Save Changes" at the bottom of the dialog.

[​IMG]

6) This is what it'll look like after that:

[​IMG]

gwhite likes this.
  2. I get that some will just throw their hands up and say I don't like change and I don't want to go through the trouble of learning a new format so this tutorial of gaining access will be just what they are asking for.
    On the other hand I like the following quote. HRP

‘When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully upon the closed door that we don’t see the one which has just opened for us.
    Alexander Graham Bell.

3. Just providing the route to an option for those who don't like the new interface. Would you rather they leave or have an alternative interface and stay?

Personally, while I don't mind change, it needs to be an improvement. The current layout is not an improvement from a readability standpoint. It's not an issue of "learning a new format". I've left my constructive criticism in another thread.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Mike. I don't think that will work man. We only have one style turned on. That said, I could always add another if have to. And might... I disagree on readability though.

Thanks!

@chickenridgerods

5. carmuts

carmuts

Before the changes took place I was getting ready to delete a bunch of old pic's that I had put in my album shortly after I joined (didn't know at the time you were allowed more than one album). I did not get it done in time due to my work schedule. Now I can not seem to delete them. An easy thing to do the old way, but with the new format they won't go away. Need some help here. Thanks Rod

6. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

It worked like Mike described on Tuesday evening. I looked for that option and changed it not long after logging in. But tonite the display format was reset and the option to change it in preferences had disappeared. The various new features will be used only by a miniscule core of the overall membership, and the members who do use them will learn how. But everyone reads, member or visitor, and the readability is terrible. Defaulting to double spacing is a killer of readability and the primary reason you never see any printed media published in double spaced format with the exception of children's books.

People who use internet forums regularly (and make some attempt to make their posts readable) develop habits based on the way typical forums work such as inserting a double space to create paragraphs. With this format, inserting a double space results in a triple or quadruple space, further decreasing readability. Mike's first post in this thread is a good example of my point. He's double spaced in the normal manner one does when giving a list of instructions, and the result is a post that won't fit on one screen even when the pics don't display. Using [ctrl]+/- is not a solution even though it has been recommended as such in other threads. That just shrinks everything while doing nothing to address readability.

I'm sure there are people who like this format fine, but for myself I'd welcome the option of having the default format available again.

7. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm working my way thru the new format but I'm a glacially slow geezer and I predict I'll have it mastered to my own satisfaction just in time for Progress to kick me in the ass again o_O

8. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Not sure if I like the new format or not, but you have to give it a chance to grow on you. I would suggest to everyone to use it for a month or so and then decide.

9. It worked until it was disabled. You caught that one quick after I posted it. ;)

The text itself it readable from the standpoint that it's crisp and large, but as a whole, the readability of the page has gone down. As mentioned in my other thread, the large text in conjunction with the added white-space is the issue. It causes the reader to have a LOT of eye movement to read only a little bit of content, and forces them to scroll "49" times to complete just a single page of a thread. That is not an improvement over the old format.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I disagree... But opinions make the world go round.

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

Well ........ I think the New Place looks GREAT ! Change is good, and I've been here since 2001 and seen allot of change.
    Top-Shelf-Job Ryan !
    Thank You.

12. Muttley

Muttley

Change normally sucks ass, the new HAMB however, does not. Keep on truckin' Ryan.

13. 41GASSER

41GASSER

The change is no longer user friendly. If the intent is to make things complicated and attract Prius driving computer geeks and frustrate the motorheads congrats perhaps it is a success. I now very rarely visit the HAMB and quickly sign out. Oh well it was really cool and useful for years.

14. Hop2it

Hop2it

I have to,agree with 41 gasser,also the classifieds used to have the location and most of the time prices now you have to open the add and click on the avatar together the location and it SAMs like most of the adds have no prices,the whole system on my IPad sucks !!!
    Doug

15. Constructive criticism is a good thing, but this doesn't help much...what, specifically are you finding non-user friendly?

Are you using the IPad app or the browser? From my wife's ancient IPad 1.0 here's what I see (using the browser)...

classifieds.jpg

16. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Exactly.....using a browser .........and its slow its way faster in iPad app ...try it but there's no prices

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Apparently, we have some kind of an issue that effects some iPads, but not all... Apple is looking into it.

18. agtw31

agtw31

is this a new style of message board software ,or was this custom made for HAMB??

i've never seen it before.

19. 41GASSER

41GASSER

OK Gwhite I will get specific. Once apon a time.
    1. I could look at new photos posted. Hmm maybe something of interest. Go to that persons albums and Hmm see who they are friends with of similar interest and who has visited them.
    2. I could look at who has visited my albums and maybe have similar interests.
    3. I could do a search for a subject find a post and who that person has been visited by with maybe similar cars questions or answers.
    Maybe some of the above would lead to a conversation or a friendship and information exchange kinda the idea of the Forum I thought.

Could be these things are all possible and simple to do but my motor head hasnt found the correct set of drop downs and F keys sequence to sort it out. Complicated computer programs create frustraion for non-computer geeks so in other words "doesnt seem user friendly"

20. That helps.

You can still do most of that (with the exception of seeing who has visited your albums);

To see new photos/media click on the "Members" tab and locate the "User Albums" field;
    recent pics.jpg
    Once you're there, "most recent" should be the default - if it is not, you can view all the most recent media by clicking the "Most Recent" tab;
    recent pics1.jpg

From there you can select a photo/video that you find interesting, and have the option to "rate it", "like it", comment on it, "watch it", or contact the owner for more information.

If you want to view the most recent Albums, locate the menu on the left of the screen and click "Browse Albums"...the process for finding the most recent albums is the same as above.
    recent pics3.jpg