Register now to get rid of these ads!

Think I found a survivor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dick Dake, Sep 7, 2010.

1. jkc302

jkc302

I'm a friend of Bill's and He would love to get that car back. I have heard that it's "around" but nobody seems to know where.......

Keep us posted!!

2. Old argument. Gassers were race cars. Racers race to win. Nobody would have raced a 4 seat T-bird.

People should find a more accurate name for the jacked up (pun, most certainly intended) cars that some people like to call gassers.

But, they won't do that. Now days gasser means any car that looks like a gasser on a monster shirt.

But, stanlow69, I like Gassers just fine. Pick a time frame, get a rule book and build a '60-'63 or so C/Gas legal '55 Chevy that would have been competitive and you'll need to put a bib on me and wipe the drool off my chin. Yeah, I like Gassers.

3. Gassers Rule!!!!!

4. It's Thursday, do you know where your T-Bird Gasser is?:D

5. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I asked my resident US 30 guru about any 56ish T Birds that ran back in the day. The only one he remembers is a yellow one run by Frank Mazur. Said he was a partner with Gene Pudlo on it. He thought it was sold and went to the West Coast so it might not be the same car.

Said this one ran a BBC and ran 11 flat... they added a tunnel ram and it went 10.50s all day. He also said he was 99% sure when the car sold it went without the motor...

He's amazing to talk to... just throw out a car make and he spends 10 minutes telling you all about the driver, car, and what it ran.

Hope that helps.

WHEN you get this, please let me know all you can about it. I'll talk to my guy to see if we can't get you a good history on it.

Good luck!

6. rusty28a

rusty28a

I've got a bad feeling about this!

7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I agree. A '58 Tbird gasser doesn't really cut it...

A '56 on the other hand :)

8. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, ditto!

9. epinut

epinut

Well said, couldn't agree more!

10. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

junk fiend The picture of the TBird you show looks like it was taken at Quaker City Drag Strip around 58 to1960. They have an uphill staging lane like the picture you show and still do to this day,,,water box at top...And if you look on the rear fender of that tBird it has Youngstown Ohio on it .About 15 miles from track.thanks for the photo Oh ,,by the way Quaker City is in Salem Ohio

11. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Junk fiend ,,on looking at that photo on the rear fender of that TBird it also says Oak hill Service. A garage that is still there also.

12. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Not today Gents, the lady called and has a Chemo appointment today. Nothing I can do for now. I'm trying to get over there asap. If I don't buy it, I'll post pictures and see if we can get it out soon.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've always thought a '55-'57 T-Bird would make a semi-unique Gasser. It has been done so it's not an earthshaking idea. Only I've had this thought since about 1960. After sitting on the possibility for all of that time it seems that because of recent events we might finally have a shot at it. Let's see '57 Bird...L-88 Chevy......T-400 or Doug Nash 5spd.... 9" rear/4link..........straight axle front..........Halibrands (12 spoke front/big windows rear)............sweating profusely!!!!!!:eek::cool::D:D:D

Frank

14. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Some of you guys need to do a little research, Why would they not have run a 4 seat T-bird . The gas classes were just that classes , there were four door gassers wagon gassers etc. In most gas classes there were all sorts of cars. What ever a poor boy could put together that was class legal. Break out the little books boys or the jan. 2010 hot rod deluxe page 39 is a 4 dr 39 willys ,page 40 is a 56 chevy 4 dr ,in the upper left corner and another 4 dr willys. Next page is a nomad wagon . These are real period cars not todays recreations . So why do you say they would not have run a 4 seat T- bird ???????????

15. Church

Church
    from South Bay

"I think I found a survivor" doesn't sound nearly as cool as "I bought a survivor".

16. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

I agree with 39 chevy kustom!!! Today us poor-boy's build these gassers out of what little parts of the past are left!!!!!!!!!