Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Things you keep in your trunk and ways of storing it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EV34, Aug 2, 2022.

1. EV34

EV34

So now that my 46 ford Tudor is road worthy again I’ve had my mind focused on the trunk. I tend to over pack on things for road trips but it’s got me to thinking. What do most other guys pack along with them? And ways of storing or securing what they take and or organize it.

any photos of how you have done this and or a list of what you always take with you?

thanks in advance

Ethan

2. A harbor freight tool kit, a good (small) jack, oil. That’s about it. Oh and a good spare. And an AAA card in my wallet.

3. EV34

EV34

that AAA card sounds like something to look into. I know a few guys with one.

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.
  4. TCTND

TCTND

I pack some tools that would, if stolen, piss me off but not make me cry and some rags, duct tape, wire and a tarp to lie on if I spend time on the ground. All packed in a box I hope never to open.

5. EV34

EV34

I feel you there.

6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

In my DD the spare lies flat in a well in the trunk floor, outside down. I've got a 400mm plastic basin lying in the spare wheel, with stuff like the jack, wheel spanner, a few tools, and a few spares inside.

It seemed like a brilliant idea, but that was before I realized that I suffer from object permanence issues ― part of a whole slew of neurodivergent brain-weirdness ― meaning that to be honest I don't know what the hell is in that basin. I think there is a brand new fuel pump, though.

deadbeat, williebill and Budget36 like this.
  7. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

scissor jack, large pc. of corrugated, synthetic fiber insulated hooded jacket, gloves, cross bar, jumpers, fix a flat, C-fold paper towels, vise grips, magic hose tape, tire gauge, box cutter, reversible slot-phillip screw driver.
    The card board goes on bottom With my wife's envelope of some coin and cash (nothing great just some cabbage and quarters) the rest except the foul weather jacket and cross bar go into a sturdy canvas tote.

One day, on the big road, I saw a cpe-rod sitting, couple citizens standing by. I thought I need to check this out but my D.D. ain't got nuttin to help.
    The prob was a loose gas fitting at the carb. Dude had wrench on it , but the top of the motor was soaked in gas. I reach to my back pocket. There I had a large wad of C-fold paper towels.
    Ya Never Know

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    deadbeat likes this.
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Only room for side curtains, jumper leads and a can of tyre inflator behind the back seat of the tub. CED stacker is now in the trash 20140210_182248.jpg

Lil32, deadbeat and nunattax like this.
  9. j hansen

j hansen

Only necessary tools.
    IMG_1378.jpeg

10. I carry a floor jack in the middle of the trunk. I made up a wooden box out of 1" x 4" primered pine with a peg board bottom. It keeps it from rolling around. I have a HF bag with 3rd string tools in it. Spare parts are mainly a spare Ford solenoid, a brake light switch and some electrical supplies to get me home in a pinch.

deadbeat and Hillbilly Werewolf like this.
  11. jim snow

jim snow

X2. Snowman ⛄️

12. EV34

EV34

Bunch of great ideas. Sounds like most pack about the same thing.

I will work on a way on how I want to pack to keep it clean and to take up minimal space and share what I come up with.

13. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Your insurance company may already provide road side service. I know that Hagerty does.

14. EV34

EV34

That’s a great point. Now that you say that I believe it does. Thanks for the reminder!

15. tim troutman

tim troutman

I have a small duffle bag I keep basic tools a small jack multi meter electric fuel pump tire plug air pump that plugs into lighter mechanics wire plastic ties electrical tape its stuffed but I keep it zipped

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Tow rope

chevy57dude likes this.
  17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I keep a tool bag with side pouches, and a zipper to fix most things. Inside is a small set of combination end wrenches, a 3/8"-1/4" socket set, some screwdrivers, pliers, channel locks, a little iron tie wire, some electrical tape, and a test light. I bought several of the small HF tool bags, and have duplicate kits in both of my hotrods so I don't have to keep moving the kit every time I drive a different car.
    I also have a compact floor jack, but only take it and a spare on long trips. I have towing, so if I can't fix it I can call AAA and get them to tow it.

deadbeat likes this.
  18. AAA Sucks! I recently needed them and after numerous text and calls they never came. They wanted me to just leave my car on the side of the road and they would get it when they could. I dropped them the next morning and they did not even ask why. I now use Hagerty for my hot rods and Allstate for my other vehicles. AGAIN AAA SUCKS

wfo guy, okiedokie and hotrodjack33 like this.
  19. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Having a trunk would be nice!

deadbeat, EV34, hotrodjack33 and 2 others like this.
  20. For the premium membership you get 5 free tows a year up to 100 miles. That's well worth the cost if you drive old cars regularly.

I've had them tow project cars from places I bought them home too. You have to be careful about your words when you call in. They won't tow it if it doesn't have an engine. The driver doesn't care, but the dispatcher will not send a guy. I made that mistake, but just called back and gotta different person and presto!

EV34 likes this.
  21. Oh man! That does suck. I haven't had a problem, but yes it can take them a while.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No trunk but I carry a tool bag rather than box as they fit in better. A bought it on sale 3/8 Craftsman socket set plus a few more sockets, End wrenches in a roll (mix and match brands) Plyers and screw drivers. Mostly what I might need to change what I can reasonably expect to change on the side of the road or in a parts house or motel parking lot. = Alternator, Starter, Fuel system parts, ignition. Most of the time you are going to have to get the vehicle to some place where there are more tools and equipment to do something more extensive anyhow.
    I carry two jacks, A small bottle jack to lift the front end up high enough that I can get the other jack under it. The bottle jack works under the rear axle though.

Truth is, the older I get and the longer I go the less tools and things I carry.

deadbeat likes this.
  23. My friend who has the premium package tried calling it in and no one responded to him either. I may have hit an off night. I finally got a friend who was over an hour away to trailer it home. That was after midnight because I waited for aaa. Pisses me off that I paid them for years for nothing. Also that no one seemed to care that I cancelled. All I can do is bash them every chance I get.

24. williebill

williebill

Mark, sorry to hear about your experience with AAA. I've been paying them for a few years, too, but have never needed them. They do send me a shitload of junk mail trying to sell me life insurance, though......
    Hard to find companies we can still count on to do their job, it seems.

ct1932ford likes this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8 Tracks in a vinyl covered case and a fire extinguisher.

26. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Forgot the shovel to hide the body if you catch them stealing your tools or ride

'28phonebooth and williebill like this.
  27. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I wondered when someone was going to say a fire extinguisher. Good job BB

deadbeat, ct1932ford and Bandit Billy like this.
  28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

29. I don’t carry a fire extinguisher in the trunk, kinda useless there. Mine is within reach inside the car.

Lil32, hotrodharry2, deadbeat and 4 others like this.
  30. What.... no Crown Royal and stogies?

hotrodjack33 and Bandit Billy like this.