Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Thieves... And PayPal...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 7, 2018.

1. 392

Pay pal for me unless close then cash.

Thor1 likes this.
  2. mlinton1941

mlinton1941

AMEN TO THAT !

HellsHotRods and bobwop like this.
  4. I have been using PayPal since the turn of the century, buying and selling, and have not had a bad experience with them. Paypal or cash in hand is the only way to go! I echo the remarks about the friends and family route, bad news.

Squablow and Thor1 like this.
  5. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks for addressing this problem (the shitty part). There will always be those that prey on the unsuspecting/over enthusiastic. Be realistic when you find that rare part/ Great deal, before you get that "gold fever"! Think about it, research the other party and walk away if you have to. Thanks Ryan, for caring (the Good part).

pat59 and Thor1 like this.
  6. wvenfield

wvenfield

I didn't read every reply but I will note........It's great for Ryan to step up but in no way do I blame him for people not thinking about what they are about to do. These scams have been around for years now and 99% are obvious right from the start.

The post office doesn't give a crap if you get ripped off with a postal money order. Yes, technically it's mail fraud but unless you sent $50,000 or something they aren't going to do anything about it. Don't even get me started on fraud and the post office. They perpetuate as much as scammers. Their "insurance" is next to worthless. The carrier didn't get a signature for the signature confirmation you paid for? Shrug, too bad.

When I first started selling 20 some years ago I would get cash stuffed in a floppy disc from buyers overseas. Now I won't sell over seas outside of eBay's program. It's a rip off for the poor buyers but it sure makes it easier on me and no problems after the sell.

Yes, I realize I'm lagging on updated my membership here but for those of you that still want to use postal money orders you would be wise to pay up for one. Without it, many are going to ignore your ad.

7. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

The Boss has spoken Ditto to all the above paypal only safe way to go

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

40 times? This doesn't make any sense. If your friend was using PayPal correctly, this wouldn't have happened.

61cad and Squablow like this.
  9. I'd like to know how many of the people who have been "ripped off" by PayPal actually followed good procedures and didn't ask the seller for money as a gift to save 3%, sent the package requiring a signature, documented their shipment you know common sense stuff to protect themselves if something did come up. I know they will all say they did but also know that won't be the truth.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5window, Hombre and Thor1 like this.
  10. eBay escrow service is great for big purchases like the Brooklyn Bridge or Mount Rushmore...

Thor1 likes this.
  11. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I am not a fan of PayPal anymore at one time it was a great tool. I believe over time The Piece of craps scammers figured how to scam using PayPal and screw the sellers on sites like eBay and good message boards. Being a paypal member for 18 years I have seen a number of changes . Most of the changes have been in favor of buyers and Not Sellers. A new scam that just happened to me is they didn't buy it and someone hacked the account. They have the product item ,with tracking number that they did receive it but never ordered it. They get the money back and what happened to the item is its gone! Wtf

HellsHotRods likes this.
  12. 6inarow

6inarow

In short: no such thing as 100% guarantee. When I was 16 my grandfather (coolest guy in the world) taught me a lesson in 2 words: CAVEAT EMPTOR

13. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I’m gonna add my 2 cents worth here with new member and PayPal.

I recently had parts listed and was contacted by brand new members who just signed up and had zero posts and they were interested in my parts. I’ve sold stuff all over for years and taken PayPal, never had an issue, period.

I was cautious about these sales but with the ever expanding search capabilities of the internet something posted today can be found with a google search tonight.

Both deals went great, no scams, no screwed over no problems and I used PayPal for both.

I used a little common sense and did some checking on the posters. Phone number to contact them and good to go.

Cliff Ramsdell

Squablow likes this.
  14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PayPal has been perfect for me. I've had a couple dealings with bad sellers, and in both cases I got every bit of my money back including shipping.

@Cosmo50, I own a couple domains and can sell you that email address if you'd like. You could be: [email protected].

I suppose I should have put this in the classifieds.....

15. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

Same happened to me a couple years back on here. Pay Pal is the safest way to go!!!

And if possible, have the item sent to your work to help prevent porch thieves.

Hopefully this post will be a resource to all fellow Hambers.

16. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

That’s funny right there!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

6inarow, Squablow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

PayPal is NOT a bank. you can't really compare sales from this site where everyone is your buddy to a random anonymous sale on ebay. I sold $100,000.00 worth of crap on ebay before they turned the company into shit in 2008. in all those sales I only had one guy rip me off, he was from the UK. being a seller I was all over the seller discussion board and various sites, and read all the stories about paypal rip offs over and over again.

the main reason I had few problems is I sold car parts and antiques which attracts a better type of person. the one guy that ripped me off was for a "Mont Blanc" $100.00 fancy pen I sold for a friend. paypal rip offs are more rare now than they used to be, but if it happened to you that fact would not matter.

when investigating a paypal rip off paypals bottom line is the only thing they care about.

I bet people who sell cell phones and video games don't have the luck that I did.

18. I use PayPal to purchase raw material and to receive payment for items I create, not because it's foolproof but because it's convenient and has a good history of working to suit me. Once in a blue moon I may have to contact a buyer or seller to straighten out an issue personally. But I'll involve Customer Service occasionally as needed, such as in the case of a deadline running out. I automatically get emails of the transactions that I can easily print for my files and I also like being able to make a couple of clicks with my mouse to purchase postage for less than I would have to pay at the Post Office (saves me time and money) and then print out an error free shipping label with tracking and automatic email notification to the buyer, etc.

A lot of the wheeling and dealing examples previously posted here don't exactly match my personal buyer/seller profile so I understand others could be inclined to other means. This is still America; you can do what you like, the way you like. If you will only take gold bars and silver ingots, or blue ribbon hunting dogs, then you go for it, Bro!

olscrounger likes this.
  19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Payment methods and scammers abound but one must use common sense. I have had very good luck as mentioned with paypal and dealing with hambers but shipping can sometimes go awry. Years ago had a friend who shipped a well known high dollar single action Colt via a well known shipper all legal and insured ($15K) from the Bay area to Texas. It never arrived. After much investigation it was discovered that the item never left the orig facility and insurance was paid. It showed up a at prominent gun show years later and was confiscated--you never know.

lothiandon1940, bobwop and 5window like this.
  20. Another reason to name them. People should be checking the archives for "history". If the name has no posting "history" it is a big red flag. Scammers can't afford to build a new "history" every time they have to change names.

Charlie Stephens

olscrounger likes this.
  21. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I know the hamb is too big now but I feel like when the want ads were in the forsale classifieds they weren't easy pickin for scammers , also they got more foot traffic from real buyers and sellers

I used to get lot of responses when they we're intermingled , now all I get is crickets and an occasional scammer

22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

With all do respect , you should not generalize (all). You can do all the right things to be upright and follow the rules and that will not stop the scumbags.

23. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I would guess that the general like vs dislike of PayPal distribution is well correlated to age, or likelihood to be on Facebook, Instagram, etc. I sell a lot in the classifieds (and buy too), and preferably use PayPal. I like that it offers protection on both sides, and obviously like the instant transfer of funds.

I bought a $30 GMC brochure for my dad last year (not on here), and the seller only wanted a money order so that I (me) wouldn't have to pay the 3% PayPal fee. So I went to the post office, paid $1.25 for a $30 money order, then proceeded to send it FlatRate via USPS for ~$6 so that I could easily track it.....not to mention it took me a couple of days to get off work early enough to get to the post office before they close.

teach'm likes this.
  24. I have over 32 transaction thru E-PAY and have never had a PapPal account and NEVER will have one. I only use postal m.o. and never had a problem and only use postal m.o. with my fellow HAMBERS!

25. 5window

5window

I am not sure we are getting anyplace. 146 posts and some like Paypal, some don't. Ryan presented his best advice. Like your hot rod, do what you want. I am not sure it will be worth reading the next 146 posts or the next 10000 posts as every member chimes in. And, for all I know, those of you posting advice not to use Paypal might be scammers wanting to keep the status quo!
    A good night to you all.

lurker mick, Squablow and razoo lew like this.
  26. Yep, more than a few luddites here. Ryan gave it his best shot, so it is what it is....

Squablow likes this.
  27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

NO matter what side of the fence you are on , it all boils down to a persons integrity. It would be great if it was 100% honest people in the car world but I feel better with my fellow girls and guys on here on the hamb then on ebay. Use common sense be safe .

28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Obviously you have
    Your fortunate you have never been scammed :rolleyes:

bobwop likes this.
  29. I've been scammed.... once. After that I learned to pay very good attention.

olscrounger likes this.
  30. aircap

aircap

Ryan - your trust in Paypal is more than misplaced. I have an eBay store and have been screwed by buyers, and eBay and Paypal BOTH admitted I was in the right, and the buyer was in the wrong..... But they still let him keep his money, and I was out my item and the money. They refunded my fees.... big whoop! Also, I've made purchases and gotten screwed by eBay and Paypal - who sided with the seller. I got squat and lost money. I don't trust either entity at this point, and have done very little business on eBay since the last time I got screwed. You're just wrong, pal - their concept of financial security is a falsehood.