Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest they played TAPS for my dad today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 9, 2012.

1. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Im very sorry for your loss!

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  2. It's been 3 years now,
    Not a day goes by that I don't think of or talk of my dad.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

It's 32 years now for me, I keep thinking of all the questions I never asked, always thought there would be a tomorrow. Bob

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Sorry for your loss.Lost my Father in Sept of 94.He was 98 and a WW1 vet.Served in the trenches.God bless you and yours.
    Leo

5. 26Troadster

26Troadster

brother i know the feeling of loss, as they blew taps for my dad last sept. he loved his 50 ford and my mom is trying to decide what to do with it. lot's of things have changed quick but the feeling of loss has not. peace be with yall

6. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I somehow missed this one the first time around, but I am terribly sorry about your loss. I know they say 'Time heals all wounds', but some things time will never heal. Sure you learn to live with it, but nothing is ever really the same. Your Dad sounds like he was a great guy, and he will always be with you through his stories and memories. God Bless...

7. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Sorry to hear of your loss. My Pop, retired after 38 years of service had the same type of cycle story. He wanted a bike and Mom said you can have it as long as you don't take the money out of the bank and you don't take out a loan. He was getting ready go to VN for the third time as a Wild Wessel (F-105 driver), and knew that a bike was out of the question with 4 boys. So he pulled a fast one on my Mom. He borrow a HD bike and sat it in the garage and close the door. Mom came home, open the garage door and there was the bike and with the Irish temper running wild, corner my Pop with the following questions:

1. Did you take a loan out for that bike?
    2. Did you take money out of the bank for that bike?

Both answers were no, then my Mom laugh, and said, "OK give me a ride to where you got that bike from, and don't bring home again.

I think people like your father and mine, came from a special form, which was broken and not to be manufactured again.

Again, sorry for your loss.

8. Couldn't have said it any other way^^^^ Just passed the 8 year mark last week. Keep standing and continue making him proud.

9. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

I know the feeling brother....taps and all...9 years ago...think of him everyday, as i'm sure you will....so sorry...you're not alone...feel for you.

10. It has been 38 years for me. It is obvious that you two were close.

Your original post put it in words very well.

11. Tony

Tony

31vic, i missed this as well.
    My deepest condolences to you and family!
    I lost my mom june 30, 2010 suddenly and there isnt a day that go's by that she is not on my mind or in my words.
    I can relate to your feelings.
    Your pop's sounded like a hell of a guy for sure.
    May he rest in peace.

Tony

12. I remember this post like yesterday, but it's been another year.
    Still haven't gone a day without thoughts of my dad, always good stories too.
    4 years now

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My sincere condolences Vicky. Sorry I missed it the first time around.

14. afaulk

afaulk

I guess I missed the first 3 yrs, sorry. I envy your having a father like that. Today is my birthday tomorrow would have been my Father's but he wasn't worth missing unfortunately.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coming up on 27-years here. I can still hear the bagpipes on the hill.

I'd like to tell you guys that this gets easier, but for me at least, it has not.

Not a day goes by....

16. Saddened by your loss, Vicky. Its been over 31 years for me. Honest, funny and greatly missed. Worked two jobs most of his life and didn't even get a chance to enjoy his retirement. Hope I turned out half as good.

17. I to missed this earlier. Sorry for your loss man. :(

18. I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, if i did sorry but I will anyway.

Back in September 2012 my folks stopped at the shop for a visit and then went out for a late lunch /early dinner at the local hangout. My dad had the gift of gab and could talk to anyone. At their lunch he struck up a conversation with the bartender since the place was empty- talking about work, life, Harley's and hot rods. According to my mom, my dad talked mostly about me, the whole time. All the stuff I do, how was amazed at the stuff that goes on here. About how I would say to him (my dad) that he shouldn't be surprised be cause I had learned from him. Mom says he was absolutely the proudest father she's ever seen or heard or read about.
    Somewhere in the conversation my mom went to use the ladies room, when she was finished my dad was by the door waiting for her. She saw something was wrong but didn't know what it was. He had a stroke ( carotid artery blockage in his neck) in the time she went to the restroom. The words he told the bartender were the last words he ever spoke.

It's comforting to know that my dad was well pleased and proud of his son, but man do I miss him.

19. Great story. Very sorry you lost your dad.

20. I had to read it a few times. Very sad and yet very cool. Thanks for sharing that.

21. Very touching memories of your Dad.
    So sorry for your loss.

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

In a couple of weeks it will be 42 years since my dad passed away. I have a hard time imagining what he would be like at 82. You have my deepest sympathy, and the same to all who have lost theirs.

23. What a story.Sorry for your loss.Bruce.

24. jackalope

jackalope

Deepest condolences and sounds like you had one heckuva dad! Cherish the memories. Just from the short story you wrote, your dad was a stud. Served his country and did his family well! Makes me sad to hear stories like these and at the same time I love hearing them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

My Dad would have been 101 today, the last 33 years haven't been the same without him. Bob

26. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

Vicky man, sorry for your loss, great memories, i'm a little inveous of guy's with great stories of their fathers, mine died 45 years ago, he was 57, to me he lived 57 years too long,have memories but no good ones, have tried to be better w/my kids.....sorry for rambling....

27. trollst

trollst

May 18 1983, a day I'll never forget, my mentor and confidant, a person whose advice was golden. I'll miss him forever. I was absolutely lost without him for ten years, some people just cannot be replaced.

28. thorpe31

thorpe31
    from nor-cal

Sorry for your loss.
    30 years next month for my dad 14 for my mom. The memories are easy the missing is hard. Your thread makes you want to call someone while you still can.

29. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

I am sorry for your loss too.....your dad sounds like he was a class act in every way

30. Very sorry for your loss - You gave your Pop a great send off- proof positive he raised his family right .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app