Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest they played TAPS for my dad today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 9, 2012.

1. ecam

ecam

TAPSs is the one song that brings tears to my eyes everytime, especially when the echo is used. TAPS means we are honoring a servant. My dad did not want a funeral so I never heard "his". Makes TAPS that much harder for me. Hang in there, and thanks for the service!

2. Prayers for your family as you go through this loss.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sounds like your dad was a good guy.

Condolences to you and a tribute to him to have a son willing to make his wish happen.

4. veteran, married to the same woman for all those years, good kid(s) = good man in my book.

5. blue68deville

blue68deville

I feel for you, heard taps for my dad this spring. I still think of stuff I'd like to ask/tell him.
    Cherish those good memories, keeps you smiling.

6. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Very sorry for your loss...

7. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Sorry for your loss. Be strong and hang on to the memories. My Dad passed away in 1985, and I miss him greatly, so I understand your grief.

Wayne

8. oj

oj

My dad passed in 1996 and i miss him every day. I feel for you, it don't get easier.
    oj

9. fleetside66

fleetside66

I feel for you, man. My dad is 90 (a WWII vet) & close to his last day & I'm doing the eulogy thing now..it's real tough. I don't know if I could hack doing it after the fact. I'm close to finishing a slide show, which I intend that he sees before he goes.

10. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

Being a ex army vet i understand your loss and i,ll hold you-all up in my prayers. Drive on as its what "dad" would want you to do. Live a honourable life and bring him respect.
    Regards
    bob

P/S MY DAD WAS A WW2 PARATROOPER AND HE TAUGHT ME THE WAY A HONOURABLE MAN IS SUPPOSED TO WALK AND I STRIVE FOR THAT MARK EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE.

11. RFAGrasshopper

RFAGrasshopper

Sorry for your loss. They played Taps at my Dads funeral and again at my Mon's. She was a WW2 Army combat nurse who saw a lot. Often working in the OR while under artillery attack from the Germans. She and my Dad are buried side by side in the Zeeland,Michigan Veterans section. Always wanted to find a 1953 Studebaker Hawk to fix up for my Dad to replace the one he had to sell when the family got to big for the Hawk. Maybe before they play taps for me I;'ll find one to fix up in his honor.

12. Steve, Im very sorry for your loss. My father , also a Vet- USMC, passed away on May 1st of this year. It's a damn shame when your loved ones are taken away too soon. It was the right thing to have the scoot next to the casket, I'm sure he was smiling. Mitch.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Lost my dad 8 years ago. Also a WWII vet and a patriot to the end. We did not see eye to eye on many things but I miss him and am tremendously proud of him for being a good father to my sister and I and a loving husband to my mother.
    Always keep our dad's memory alive and he will never be far from you. May he Rest in Peace.

Frank

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very sorry about the loss of your dad. My condolences to you and your family.

Nick

15. Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Glad you kept the bike. I was worried you were going to throw dirt over it...

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Very sorry for your loss. :-(

17. shoebox50

shoebox50

Sorry for your loss.

18. Condolences to you and your family.

19. rockfish

rockfish

My prayers go out to you and your family and especially your Mom. Thanfully she had 47 great years of marriage to your Dad. Based on your original post it sounds like your Dad is leaving behind a great legacy.

Kris

20. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Sorry bud for your loss!...I lost my dad and heard the taps for him at age 14.....1976. But damn good story! Sounds like he was one heck of a guy!

21. Fenders

Fenders

That is nice.
    Too bad all our friends come to see us waked after we are gone... would be better if they could visit with us before....

22. When I was a young boy (during Vietnam), nearly every night I'd hear TAPS played by a young Marine down that beach at Camp Pendleton. I knew what it meant and sensed the awe, watching the sun set.

Yes, it's so hard to hear TAPS at your own father's funeral. My father, a Mustang Marine recon officer in that conflict, was killed last year riding his Harley to work. But it was comforting to hear TAPS, knowing his country and his brothers recognized his service and the sacrifices of his family.

Bless you and your family.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bless you and your family, brother.

24. We went to his favorite watering hole today.
    What a great bunch of stories.
    Everyone there had been really touched by him in some way.
    Most of the crew there has known him for 12-13 years - so they had plenty to say about him.

Thank you guys for your kind words, your prayers, and your honor and gratitude to my father.
    My mom found great comfort from that as I would occasionally read some of them to her.

Its been an emotional day to say the least and she has been switching from laughing and crying and sometimes both at the same time. About an hour ago I saw her crying and asked if she was ok. She looked at me and said "yeah, I'm just leaking a little bit" then she started laughing gave me a big hug and said "I knew he was a keeper - thank you Stevie"

25. Rob68

Rob68

My condolences to you and your family. Lost my dad in 98. It always hurts but it will get better.

26. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

My condolences great story I buried my dad four years ago when I was 18. I made sure he had a wrench in his had when he went in the ground. It never gets easier but it's the stories that keep the man alive. Ride the shit out of that bike .

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. This is great if you can do it. Fantastic advise to let those we love know what they mean to us. Don't take for granted you can do it tomorrow.
    Wish I could have done this in about 20 years.
    You never know what's going to happen. My dad was 69 and had a massive stroke that took out the entire left hemisphere and hypothalimus of his brain about 10 mins after dinner. That was just over 2 months ago.

28. Sorry for your loss. I empathize with you cos I lost my Dad Xmas day, almost a year ago. He did it all, he was my hero an I miss him. Again I'm sorry, Jay

29. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

Sorry to hear of your loss. You'll never forget him or quit missing him but after some time goes by you come to terms with it. Lost my dad several years ago. It's hard to cope with, but the pain will ease with time. Be glad for the memories you have the things he taught you. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

30. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

so sorry for your loss, we were in about the same time might even have served together.