Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest they played TAPS for my dad today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 9, 2012.

1. dads 1IMG_20121209_170547.jpg dads 2 IMG_20121209_170547.jpg dads3IMG_20121209_171519-1.jpg It's been 10 years now since I first posted this.

Well Fellas we lost another one
    My dad was a great man.
    Hot rodder thru and thru

I could tell many stories about him and I will tomorrow when I deliver his eulogy. But ill share one with you guys its kind of funny & explains the pics.

My dad joined the service in 1965 and at that time he had a few toys and projects. One was a 33 3 wnd with a red ram he was working on but ill save that for later. One of them was a 47 knucklehead. and a bunch of other stuff. So his mom, my grandmother sold most of his stuff to pay for his life insurance while he was in basic training.

He was pretty upset about it, not because she sold it but because she sold it for exactly what he told her he had into them. She would ask him "how much money are you going to stick into that stuff?" he would say oh mom dont worry i only have a few hundred bucks into it. Well he was telling stories so grandma wouldnt get upset.

He always had at least one bike before that but life changes and so do priorities. He got married, I was born a fews later my sister comes along and before you lnow it 10 years have passed to 1975. He gets the itch for another bike. He talks about this constantly and my mom really doesnt take it to seriously at first.

As a family we stop at the local harley shop several times a month while hes looking for his bike. Hes find the one he wants and decides thats it. Mom says no and he was absolutly crazy about her and a family man so he respects her no motorcycle wishes. What he does next is brilliant !!!!!

He comes home, takes his pants off and nails them up on the bedroom wall. He tells mom, those pants sat on the motorcycle I want and they will stay there untill I get it. He tells her that he loves her, and can live with thing like this for another 10 years if he needs to. "the pants on the wall is enough for for me for now"

Couple months go by and its his birthday 1976 pants still on the wall. Mom goes and buys him the bike as a suprise birthday present. NICE HUH!! So he tells her that he "will keep it forever and wants to be burried with it." For years the joke was yep they will bury me on this.

That day came last week. I told this story to the funeral director (gear head too) and he says to me that in 30 years hes never seen anything like that but he would make it happen. Mom didnt know anything about it. We had his bike there for him, he told everybody he would be burried with and they remembered him saying that. Thats as close as I could get for him. the bike was left to me and there are to many reasons not to bury it.

We sent dad off in class with a very remarkable wake.
    very fitting for a remarkable man with class.

The US army came and persented my mom the flag and its sitting on the seat of his bike.

note I think the pics are huge and my spell checker isnt working.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  2. TO ANOTHER FELLOW VET THATS LEFT US WAY TO SOON, "THANX FOR YOUR SERVICE" RIP and GOD SPEED!!

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My condolences, sounds like he was a hell of a guy.

1976 FLH, right? Pretty sure they were the only ones with the red/white/blue badges on the bags.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. kennkat

kennkat

My heartfelt condolences go out to the entire family... but MAN!! SON, THAT was TOTALLY AWESOME !!!!!

5. Jimm56

Jimm56

So very sorry for your loss. Taps is the saddest song I know. They played it for my Dad last June.
    Fathers are special, and we don't know how special until they're gone. Your father sounds like a unique individual. Remember him well, and try to live up to that memory, as I am trying.

6. TERPU

TERPU

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

Tim

7. Sorry for your loss, may be rest in peace.

8. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Thanks for sharing that story about your Dad with us and so sorry for your loss. I know that feeling when they play TAPS.....really tears at your heart don't it?
    Take care of your Dad's bike now ya hear?

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is so sad.......I'm very sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. He must have been a hell of a guy. My condolences to the family, may he rest in peace.:(

I've made the same comment about being buried with my 27, but I really want my Sons to have it, so you made the right decision in keeping it.

Don

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Sorry for your loss.. Hits me hard as this Tuesday will be 3 years since I lost mine.

Very cool that they pulled in the bike for the memorial service. Grateful for one more man who voluntarily gave up the time to defend our freedom. Another one gone too soon.

11. janbuick

janbuick

Sorry for your loss

Jan

12. sorry to hear and thanks for sharing, it is awesome you had a great dad! my dad is 65...bigtime Vietnam Vet, so this stuff always hits home with me

13. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

sorry to hear that, your Pops sounded like a helluva guy and from the sounds of it rasied you right! my condolences....

14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I thank him for his service and my deepest sympathy for you and all of your family.

15. Diamond"t"

Diamond"t"
    from Idaho

Sorry for your loss, it's been a year and half since they played Taps for my ol man. They other night watching a movie I got teared up when I heard it. Our prayers are with ya.

16. Sorry for your families loss. My sincere condolences.

17. Willy301

Willy301

Sorry for your loss 31, God Speed to your father, and comfort to your family.

18. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

Sorry for your loss, nice story.

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

A tribute in music I have heard far to many times,..... (and chokes me up each time I hear it)

When my Dad ( A WWII Combat Vet) passed 20 years ago, At graveside the VFW honored him with a 21 Gun salute,... 7 Riflemen firing 3 volleys (all WWII vets themselves, something that is very rarely done anymore).

Each Volley tore through me,.... But the TAPS that immediately followed were the hardest I ever had to endure, I know the pain of the loss your are feeling, And my heart goes out to you and your family. You will be in my prayers.

And for your Dad,....."Fair winds, and following Seas"

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  20. Nice story, sorry for your loss. Having your Dad's bike is a great legacy for you.

21. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This vet ('71-'73) thanks you for sharing and feels for your loss. Every time you ride the bike your dad will ride with you.

Tim

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear about your dad. I lost my dad nine years ago when he was 83 and still think of things I want to ask him about. He was a WWII Army Air Corps vet and hearing taps played and the rifle salute at his funeral still sticks in my mind.

23. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

God Bless you all...

God speed to your Dad.

R.I.P.

24. fleet-master

fleet-master

Sorry to hear this,sounds like your Dad was a man a character. Condolences to you, your family and friends.

25. Sorry for the loss of your pops. We lost a good friend and life long gear head a couple of weeks ago and the vets gave his kids the flag and played taps as well, and it brought back a lot of memories from 16 years ago when my pops passed. keep your head up high he sounds like he was a very good man. RIP

26. ems customer service

ems customer service

sorry about your loss your dad sounds like he was a great guy

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thoughts and prayers going out to you and your family. Thanks for the Harley story, sounds like he was a lot of fun, may he rest in peace. Bob

28. I salute your Dad for being a U.S. Army Veteran.
    My condolences for your loss and sincere
    gratitude for his service to our country.

29. Your dad sounds like a really cool guy. Condolences to you and yours.

30. Sorry to hear of your loss. Losing Dad is a really hard thing to go through, but keep the memories close as you enjoy his pride and joy, and best wishes through the holiday seasons. B