Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical They Don't Seem To Know Anything

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, Sep 16, 2019.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A guy who lives 4 houses down bought a Nova SS. Because he always wanted one. He researched on the internet on how he wanted to build it and the parts to use. He was clueless and didn`t know much about cars. His buddy said buy one done and change what you don`t like. He still proceeded to do it his way. He`s got a good job so money was good. He asked what kind of torque wrench to by. His buddy said you don`t need one. You bought a crate motor, a new tranny and a new rear end. -----But don`t you need a torque wrench to put on your bumpers and fenders----. No. So the cars built and turned out great. He learned a lot along the way. Now when someone asks him a question about the car, he can answer it. Correctly.

olscrounger likes this.
  2. alchemy
    The Reason I told him that is because it has a 327 engine in it &
    I told him that it didn't have the Flathead in it.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

3. He's from New York, it's a cultural thing! :D HRP

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    TrailerTrashToo, Blue One and pirate like this.
  4. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

And there by ended the curiosity of a possible newcomer to the hobby in which we are losing more folks everyday then gaining. I don’t get it. We should all take the time to answer questions. I’d bet 99% of the people are just curious and wanting to learn something as opposed to the 1% who might be idiots or smart asses.

stanlow69, egads and Blue One like this.
  5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

He’s just a grumpy old man :D

The way you told it was that you just blew him off and drove away.

He’s a culturally superior curmudgeon :D

The way he told the story made it sound like he was the smart ass and the guy asking the question would be the one thinking that as he drove away :D

stanlow69 and egads like this.
  6. You make a valid point and we could all learn by this post, lets be a little more patient with the seemly idiotic questions that we have answered hundreds of times and be more informative, we can choose to make a profound difference talking to someone that our replies may spark interest in hot rods and customs.

The older hot rodders and custom guys have been doing this a long time and I hope when we are dead and gone there are younger guys and gals to take our place, this hobby should never die because we didn't take a few minutes to try and grow the car hobby, especially the traditional side of it.

I can't tell you how many times I have told a interested boy or girl to get in and sit behind the steering wheel and on occasions took them for a ride.

A few years ago I had a young man and his wife come up to me at a cruise in and tell me I was the reason he is a hot rodder because I took him for a ride in my Model A pickup while his dad was doing business with at our shop, I ask his dad was it ok and he said sure, just be careful.

I honestly don't remember the young man but I do know it wasn't anything unusual for me to do. HRP

guthriesmith likes this.
  7. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I agree.

Many years back I was at an outdoor show and a guy parked his car beside us. I did the usual and made small talk and told him nice car, yada, yada. He blew me off and walked away. He could have been busy and needed to be somewhere, but I learned more that day than he did. In the end, no skin off my butt and he died later that year.

I feel I have a responsibility to welcome the general public when they have questions about our hobby. I hope I do not offend anyone when they ask questions, even if my day is not going well or when I am short of time.

The actions of one prick, like A50Merc, will be remembered longer than ten positive conversations.

A side note. The guy I ran into years ago was driving a '50 Merc. I am guessing a50merc has a '50 Merc, and I have a '50 Merc. Is it safe to make the assumption that '50 Merc owners are pricks? :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

And all the posts I read today, that is the one I remember.