Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects They call me Panelman.....1956 Chevy Panel Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Mar 6, 2018.

1. I sold the '54 Ford panel and proceeded to buy a '56 Chevrolet panel truck........soooo, I went from 2 panels to 2 panels :confused:. At least I sold one first this time. I'm going to try to sell the '64 Chevrolet panel when this is on the road.

It's a 261 6cyl with a manual 3 spd and overdrive, it still has the stock panel seats (BIG bonus). It was supposedly a Helms truck in the past, made several trips to the Canadian boarder (with stops in Oregon) and fishing trips to Wyoming since the 70's. Found it real close to home, even seen it one night before I knew it was for sale. Downside is that it has holes cut in the roof for an old vent, spot light and most likely a Helms work light on the rear. The person I got it from works at a metal fab place and is a super nice guy. So far plans are to clean it up, change wheels/tires to stock 16", get the o/d working again, fix the rear end leak, re wire, carb swap to a Carter YF, do a master cylinder upgrade and drive it.

It runs, stops and drives really good (no, the 56 number didn't stay)................Let the fun begin.

2.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  2. Both roof lights work and the vent doesn't leak. It does need weather stripping REAL bad as it sat in the desert area around Palm Springs for a long time. I lubed up all the cables and got the vents to work again, found out the o/d still works but the cable is seized. I like the color green and the fact is DOESN'T have the optional tail lights cut into the 1/4 panels.

This thing is too tall for the garage so I have to work on it outside as weather permits and it looks like it's going to rain later this week thru the weekend.

3. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Very nice Dan, Congrats, I had a 57 panel years ago, I really like the color and the original seats.

1Nimrod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. I pulled the seat top apart to look at the upholstery and to see why the seat back was a little loose. It was missing a spacer/bushing on the bolt it hinges on, I happen to have chunk of bar stock with the correct size inner hole. I turned it down, cut it to length and now the seat back is firm....on to the pass seat.
    seat repair-1.jpg

Oh, and it also has a semi split exhaust manifold..........old style :).

split manifold-1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Cosmo49, 1Nimrod, kiwijeff and 8 others like this.

5. Thanks Scott. I'm serious this time......no more.....until I sell other stuff :).

1Nimrod and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. I'm kinda going for this look.....I know it's a '55 picture, but you get the idea.

img0716_13638.jpg

7. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Ok Sure

8. Solid looking truck! Black wheels like the brochure would look great IMHO.

9. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I love everything about this truck! So cool. You scored big time. Have fun!!

10. Always been fond of commercial/ utility vehicles, especially if you know their history, like your '56. They are such "honest" vehicles with such great stories. Yours looks great. Good luck with the project going forward.........Don.

11. brady1929

brady1929

I have never seen one of those before. It's bitchin.

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Panel paint it.

13. catdad49

catdad49

Looks to be well taken care of, especially for an old workhorse. I like your plan, how about a front visor to cut down on the glare as you drive this beauty around? Enjoy!

14. 1Nimrod likes this.
  15. Much better than the yellow one....

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That is an awesome truck! Enjoy it!

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, that's really solid for an old commercial truck. Nice score! I'd take up the former owner's offer to do the roof sheetmetal work before he changes his mind.
    I'd challenge the story of it being a Helms Bakery truck unless you can find evidence of it once wearing their yellow/blue paint. Yours looks to be light green sprayed over the original (Neptune green?) paint?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. bchctybob

bchctybob

Very cool truck and in great shape!
    I had several panels and sedan delivery's when I was in my 20s, one of my favorites was a '55 Chevy Panel with a 394 Olds and a Hydro. My girlfriend and I used to load up the cooler, sleeping bags and pads and my '68 Honda CB350 and head out on weekend adventures regularly. We took that old thing everywhere with a stereo hanging under the dash and big box speakers in back.
    Mine was dark green with light green panels, widened black steel wheels with big tires all around.

19. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your panel looks very nice. I have had a 55 1st design for years, and am doing a 56 now. Here they were together before we started on the 56. It is now back on wheels, maybe this year????? 20140808_151854[1].jpg 20171108_153722[1].jpg Sorry for the rollers.

20. It’s ok hdman, we’ll just think of it as one of those curveballs life throws at ya.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. I thought the yellow would grow on me........it didn't. :D

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Karen told me you hated the Yellow......

23. Rearend is back together, freed up the o/d cable...waiting for the rain to stop and I'll get more pics.

24. Found some 16" wheels, powder coated them black, found some used decent painted hubcaps and bought some cheapish tires.
    wheel-1.jpg wheel-2.jpg

Changed the valve cover which had holes cut in it for smog junk. Changed the Rochester B to a Ford Carter YF from a 300 6cyl. Had to modify the linkage to work, also found an original AC fuel filter also.
    engine-2.jpg
    I had to replace the leaky water pump, the lower bracket was wrong for the generator (the belt was crooked) and I figured if I have to modify it or find a good original I might as well go with an alternator.
    engine-1.jpg

I did decode the engine numbers because it runs a 235 water pump. It's a 1954 261, which is the first year.

Cosmo49, 1Nimrod, kiwijeff and 6 others like this.
  25. Re sealed the differential carrier and rear cover. It was a little rusty inside, I assume from sitting. I cleaned up the rust on the axle shaft, ring gear, carrier and added a magnet to the inside of the housing. I'll see how long the bearings last.
    rearend-1.jpg

26. Leave it to me to take something that's driving, take it down to "just fix a few things" just to get it driving again. This panel isn't bad it just had PO's that maybe weren't car people ??? maybe. Some twisted wire holding things together, tape (electrical and duct), even some wood, because the upper bolt holes didn't line up for the radiator.:rolleyes:

Went to the muffler shop and had them flair a piece of pipe to make an air cleaner adapter. It sure would be nice to hit the lottery an get a big hydraulic bender.......and a bigger place to put it..:). Also you can see the modified linkage to get the Ford YF to work on the Chevy.
    carb-1.jpg

It didn't have a road draft, it had holes in the valve cover and a pcv, I used a pcv setup idea from the Deve's AD site. Re bent the fuel line and vacuum advance line, everything fits but it's kinda tight.
    engine-4.jpg
    pcv-1.jpg
    I also went crazy with the grounds, I don't know if you can see it, but neg battery grounds at the firewall behind the battery. I ran a 4g battery cable from there down to the frame, then a 2g (chunk off of the new neg bat cable) from the engine to the frame (it still has the woven strap from the trans to the body).
    engine-5.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Cosmo49, 1Nimrod, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  27. Things left to do just to move it out of Mom's driveway, wire up the alternator and warning light, change front tires, test drive and hope the o/d works now. Then I can work on it at home...outside of course. It takes time working off site, I'm always forgetting something (or many things), lucky I live pretty close.

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. Oh yea, the overall motor shot.
    engine-3.jpg

1Nimrod, kiwijeff, swade41 and 6 others like this.
  29. 0nedon

0nedon

I've said that plenty--don't work for me

30. Back on the road, still a little fine tuning to do......and other things to repair.

outside-1.jpg

Cosmo49, 1Nimrod, kiwijeff and 19 others like this.