Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Thermostat size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seb fontana, Dec 23, 2015.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have been hunting around for a engine coolant thermostat size [dimension] listing..I have only one source for my Crosley and they don't last very long [couple years] so I am looking for a replacement from newer cars as I think the Crosley ones I get are nos and just too old and only available at one source....I can make a housing for some thing that is close in size if I have to...

2. squirrel

squirrel

rockauto lists dimensions on some of them...standard Chevy tstat is 2-1/8" apparently?

but maybe an old Gates or Stant catalog has the dimensions for all of them? oh...here you go, circa 1990 Gates numbers

t1.jpg t2.jpg t3.jpg

i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

THANKS! My favorite NAPA has been so busy I was a fraid to ask; couldn't get any wheres on Stant site...Thanks again...

4. Just FWIW, some motorcycles (Triumph, for instance), use a thermostat that goes inside the coolant hose.

Cosmo

5. squirrel

squirrel

it's likely that a newer catalog would have some smaller thermostats listed...

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thanks, I got a couple friends that are into bikes so I'll check with them tonite..

7. I had to cut one down in diam once when I was without the proper one and wanted to get back on the road. Within reason you can cut the flange down to fit, I just used some aviation snips.

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thats what I am doing now..Ford 302 style with flange sniped down but I have to make a 3/8th spacer as the manifold side won't seat in the block; the base dia of the bracket is too large but it tapers enough that a 3/8ths spacer will let it work..I asked the bike guys a bout the thermostats but don't get a confirmation..

9. I thought by telling you what manufacturer used such, that that WAS a confirmation. Maybe I just shut up...

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Not knowing what Triumph model I asked a triumph owner thinking it would be first hand info but he thought it went in a housing that was plumbed in the water line, before I could get model of bike the conversation got changed and lost...I can imagine what it would cost..