Register now to get rid of these ads!

There are friends and there are Friends!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by niceguyede, Oct 21, 2011.

1. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I have been on here for a while and I have worked on cars since I was a kid. I have built all kinds of cars for all kinds of people, and a few for myself along the way. Funny misconception about us guys who do this for a living is that we make lots of cash and can build just about whatever we want. This is not so much true, and in fact I have never really finished one of my own cars. There is always a lack of time or money or both.
    This brings me to my point. In the last 6 months I have gained 2 new projects. A 63 Bel Air for my girl, and a model A for myself. The hamb and maybe some good karma have gained me a couple of friends on here who have DONATED, YES DONATED to my cause! First was BabyEarl who gave me a grill for the 63 free of charge. Even though I wanted to give him money for the grill, or at least pay the ride, he refused payment. Stand up guy right there!
    Another friend, who I met outside of the hamb, Grits. This guy. He came by the shop I work at earlier this week. Nice day, out for a cruise kinda deal. I had called him about some parts he has. Wishbones, axles and such for the hot rod I've always wanted to build but couldnt afford. We chatted while I admired his car. And if you have'nt seen it, it is a thing to admire. SSSuper nice A on duece rails. And my day goes on. I get home and get a call from him. Knowing I cant afford to buy anything until after Pistons & Paint, we were going to work something out after for the front suspension. Such a guy, he is DONATING what I need to get the A project going from the pile of parts he has.
    The moral to this post, be good to your fellow rodders! They will be the guys to help you achieve that dream!!
    Check out the GRITS coupe build here.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400502

2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I am not surprised. Gary is a good dude and knows what it is like to have hard times.

3. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

He is a good guy! I've known his car, or seen it around, long before I met him. It's good to know there are still people like him, and babyearl, and my boss who lets me use the shop on weekends, and my brother who is always willing to lend a hand. In a world overflowing with dushbags, there are still good honest and giving people in the hot rod community. Thanks to all who help everyone else.

4. The grille on Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup was a gift from a friend whose '39 had a (very nice) '38 grille on it when he got it. He found a NOS '39 grille and gave me the '38 grille. He's in Texas, never met him in person, only know him from HAMB and Fordbarn.

5. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

there are a bunch of good car guys out there. luckily( or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) most of us know what its like to want/need parts that are out of reach. thats why if we are able we help each other out. if you pay it forward it will always come back.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Sounds like the Gary I know

7. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

I'm so on this it's subject. I lost my job a year and a half ago and everything came crashing down. It looked like the car, my cool little caravan would have to go. The motor in my car died and it looked like it was all over.
    My friends kept me going. We found a cheap, good motor and changed it so i could keep on going to shows. We did the swap, i learnt a lot, we had a laugh and everything kept rolling. On the cheap i have done all the shows and cruises this year.
    Instead of nights out they did a cook up night at home, invited me over with made me forget the shit times and focused on enjoying life.
    Support, friendship, understanding in everyway has helped me move on and our club, my friends are the nicest folk anyone could want to meet.
    It may still be hard times but we seem to have more good times helping eachother out, looking out for eachother and enjoying the more simple things in life. Cheap food and drink and lots of BS and dreaming.
    The only way i can sum this up is i was around a mates house and he pulled his car out and opened the door. I jumped in and asked what we we doing. He said it was a sunny night, the cars sorted and lets just cruise and forget the world for a while. We spent the next 2 hours just cruising. Hardly talking just listening to the rumble of a V8 and grinning our heads off.

Friends, V8's what more can you ask for!!!!!!!

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Not the first nice thing I have heard about Gary, aka Grits.

9. These kind of threads are what really make me proud to be a part of this hobby and the HAMB.

10. Good on yers, BabyEarl and Grits. Just two of many many stand up guys here. :)
    Although i think Gary might be one of them gold chainer fellers. :D;)

11. 6inarow

6inarow

Dont know Grits but Babyearl helped me out on a custom intake for a 235. Would not take payment until I had the parts dont to my satisfaction. Cant say that about all HAMBERs but he is top notch in my book. And I have never even met the guy

12. Rodders rock!!

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I heart Grits...

:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. apound

apound

Really good to hear a positive story for a change. Karma is real, what goes around comes around, good and bad. Thanks for sharing the good.

15. Scottrods2

Scottrods2

Agreed.

[​IMG]