Register now to get rid of these ads!

THEM! Sword Shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MyBootsOnFire, Jun 22, 2004.

1. MyBootsOnFire

MyBootsOnFire

Hey folks, my name's Chris. Just to clear things up 'fore i start, i've been a lurker, never posted much, but i did do my intro way back when. Now that that's outta the way hopefully i won't get too much grief. On to the topic at hand. A few years back i saw a car sporting the THEM! name on the back and it had a sword for a shifter. "What a cool idea," i thought to myself. Fast forward to the present. I'm building my shoebox, thinkin of a cool way to do it up. Sittin' at work (i teach martial arts for a livin')and we get this sword in from our supplier. Its blemished, so we can't sell it to anyone, and my boss says to take it. With all the idea stealing that goes on these days i figgered i at least gotta get on here and find out who's car it was that i saw it on first. So what's the final word, imitation: flattery or just theft?

2. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

go ahead and do it,THEM doesn't hold the patent on bad taste... [​IMG]

3. Antibilly

Antibilly

No but you do............hahahhahhahhahaha

4. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

Chris,If it makes ya happy do it! [​IMG] I think Roth also use a sword shifter on Excalibur.

5. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Steal the idea. Not like they can STAB you since their sword is welded to their car and all.

6. slowpoke

slowpoke
    from Austin, TX

Better yet...just weld in the sheath that way if anyone gives you grief you can use the som'bitch. [​IMG]

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Back in the 70's I built a Gerber Mk. II into the Sissy Bar on my panhead.
    I miss those high King & Queen seats, sissy bars, fishtails and long springer front ends.
    Lean and mean. Todays bikes look like pregnant hippos! [​IMG]

8. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

yes it is a THEM car and his name is Zack...If you like the Idea
    do it ..He's rebuilding the car and I don't know if he's going to use the shifter in the rebuild..But if you like it then doit...It did get allot of coverage
    in the mags..especialy in Japan...they loved it...

evel

9. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

[ QUOTE ]
    I miss those high King & Queen seats, sissy bars, fishtails and long springer front ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I am sooooo stealin' that idea one of these days. I love it. I assume it was welded handle up in the middle of one of the open sissy frames?

And yeah, today's bikes do look a bit hefty around the middle. But then again most of their yuppie owners do too. LOL

And on topic for Chris, I think welding the sheath as the shifter is a great idea. It would surprise a few folks if you whipped off your 'shift knob' to slice up your lunch. [​IMG]

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Steal the idea, afterall George Harrison stole "My Sweet Lord" from "He's So fine", but he also got sued and lost. Somehow I don't think THEM have any high power attorneys representing them.
    Why don't you use a pork sword instead?

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nads, you're the king.

12. Kinky6

Kinky6

Hell, yeah, you guys are onto something, could become a real trend... [​IMG]

Get one of those trench fighting knives off of eBay, the ones with the brass knuckles for a handle, weld in the metal sheath for the shifter, another knife blade for a gas pedal, two small hatchet heads for brake & clutch pedals, hang some Maltese cross mirrors and brake lights on your car, paint some crossed battle axes on the trunk, a jolly roger flag on the grille, with the actual flag flying from the antenna, and liberally garnish with little chrome skulls on the door locks, valve stems, head bolt covers, and air cleaner hold-down.

Just to let them all know what a Bad-Ass you are, of course... [​IMG]

Later, y'all, Kinky6 [​IMG]

13. [ QUOTE ]
    go ahead and do it,THEM doesn't hold the patent on bad taste... [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of a broad statement don't you think??

TZ, THEM Texas

14. Uh, you haven't been paying too much attention to the bike seen lately, have you? Check the following sites out for your "lean" bikes that you don't think exist anymore:

www.chicacustomcycles.com
    www.zerochop.com

Regarding that sword shifter: Just put your own spin on it man. Have the blade engine turned or drill holes in it or something.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

15. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Kind of a broad statement don't you think?

[/ QUOTE ] you're right,sorry.just trying to make funny [​IMG] correction;not all the "THEM" guys are tacky bastards,just the one guy with the sword shifter.