Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Theft Protection Ideas

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DHass, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHass

DHass

No garage...any ideas how folks secure a rod from theft?

2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

HI. Best security is out of sight out of mind. As your profile shows a 27 Ford if you have a rear patio it should fit there. With a security gate and a patio cover that might be a good place to start. Or if you have a front or side carport you could put up sidewalls and a garage door.
    If none of the above will work for you then a battery disconnect and a hidden kill switch would be good.
    Good luck, Jimmie

5window likes this.
  3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The world is full of platform type wreckers that allow thieves to ignore any anti-theft features on the car itself... I would focus on obstructing access. Park car in a corner with another car, trailer on blocks, boat on trailer, whatever in the way. Put in a chain link enclosure with stout gate, and keep your 6 Rottweilers in there.

4. Enclosed trailers work pretty good... ;)

5. If a pro thief really wants your car -it's gone no matter what you do. You could try sleeping in it.

Mainly keeping it obstructed and a pain in the ass to get out.

Baron, biggeorge and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Take the coil wire with you when you get out.

Wire in an ignition kill switch on the negative side of the coil.

Fuel cutoff valve that's accessable from the interior.

The Club.

Chain it to a light pole.

A thief is after easy prey. Make it difficult and they will move on, unless they have specifically targeted your car and watch your habits and routines. If they want it bad enough, it will be gone regardless of what you do.

Devin

53FordEffie and czuch like this.
  7. As far as I know, all the vintage/classic insurance companies require home indoor storage for their policies to be in effect.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Enclosed trailers work pretty good"...I've been seeing reports on enclose trailers vanishing and the car within turning up abandoned 10 miles down the road! The market for enclosed car trailers is HOT, not for cars but for all those lawn mowing crews that are everywhere now! I'm guessing that the enclosed trailer is more of a draw than the car...not only is market big, but trailers are pretty anonymous and only lightly marked with serials and such, probably very easy to re-register.

olle, Steve Ray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Then they steal the trailer and the car.

10. Been doing it for years...

11. metalman

metalman

We have a huge auto theft problem here, I hear we're number 1 in the nation. Number one pick is trucks with enclosed trailers. Last thing you want to do is leave your truck/ trailer in a motel parking lot here, almost guarantees it will be gone by morning. So bad I won't even leave my truck and trailer, loaded with a car or not parked in front of my house overnight. PIA. Enclosed in the garage is the best bet. Unfortunately we also have a huge car jacking problem as well so anytime I have a hot rod (or any vehicle for that matter) out I worry at every stop light or parking lot. But what fun is keeping your ride in a garage 24/7?

biggeorge and olle like this.
  12. You guys live in fear, worry and expectation of the worst... what fun is that?

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To that I'd add a brake lock that will lock two or all four wheels up that is connected to the hydraulic brakes. Back in my high school autoshop student days we walked half way across town and back to the pickup after one of us had locked the brakes up on the instructors old Dodge pickup by either pushing or pulling a knob in the middle of the dash and the truck wouldn't budge. Somethi like this http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Hydraulic-Brake-Lock/1769685/10002/-1
    At home, out of sight from the street even if it's just under a car cover. Plus the blocked in thing. That won't stop a pro thief that is prepared for anything and everything that might slow him down but it will keep the joy riders from taking it and send the lazy thiefs that are looking to steal the car for the drivetrain at bay.
    Maybe just a cable or chain across the driveway or a pipe/square tube swinging gate across the driveway. Just enough to keep the grab it quick and run guys from running in and pushing it down the driveway where the can start it or hook a tow strap to it. The town I live in is a noted high car theft area and a good number of houses in all parts of town have gates on the driveways. I just have a 400 ft driveway with no other way out and enough vehicles that no one including my mom can figure out who is home and who isn't. Thinking of that it's time to move a couple of them around so they look like they have been driven lately.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    JUNK ROD likes this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have thought in the past when I see questions about rods and customs at motels that the group should park so that the cars can be blocked in by the late model that lays frame that tags along with them. They gotta be good for something.

15. trollst

trollst

Ever think about moving? Seriously, if you rent, move, if you own, build something that hides your car, then, interrupt the starter wire with a toggle switch, tie it to a post or building with a chain, park it in your yard so a tow truck can't get it, don't whine, do something. You'll figure it out if the car has value to you.

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

All my cars have have an anti theft device, Easy to devise and install with a little ingenuity. Its cheap insurance.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Early Ironman likes this.
  17. FlyinA

FlyinA

Take the coil to distributor wire and switch it with a spark plug wire on the distributor

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Its too much trouble to open the hood and switch wires. Why not devise a simple kill switch that you can throw on your dashboard? Thats what I use on all my cars and its fool proof.

FlyinA likes this.
  19. Guinea Fowl,better than any watch dog and twice as loud! :D HRP

[​IMG]

20. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

We use a club on the 57 150 wagon. Plus it is a 3spd OD on the column which I'm guessing there is not to many car thefts that can drive a column stick OD car. Also It is not the easiest car to start unless you know how so it is not likely that anyone is going to just drive off with it. Basically we are not to worried about it. Well that is until someone stole it one night. Luckily we got that one back. The bad guys ditched it when it ran out of gas. These guys must have been familiar with older cars and plus I'd bet they had a plan. I think the best protection is out of sight out of mind with a fuel/ignition kill switch!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

There are many good ideas to help prevent someone from taking you car.
    I would also consider placing a tracking device somewhere within the car so if it ever is taken you can track the car and find it.
    Many companies today such as electrical or A/C companies use a program called Fleet Master which is installed in each truck so that they know just where it is every minute of every day.
    When they call the driver and ask him where is is now they already know the answer they just want to see if he tells them the truth.
    These devices can be tracked using an Android cell phone.

Remember years ago when they used to hi jack semi trucks for their contents. These they know where each truck in the country because of tracking devices.
    Even Buy Here Pay Here used car places now put a tracking device in most cars they sell just in case someone stops making payment they know where the car is to go and Repo it!

Do a Google search for car tracking devices and make sure where ever you put it is well hidden from view.
    Jimbo

22. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Locking the car and taking the keys with you will go a long ways.

TagMan and Montana1 like this.
  23. There was a junkyard in Brooklyn that had guinea hens as watch dogs... what a racket they made when we walked up. They were scary since they were covered in grease.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Check your auto insurance policy about required vehicle storage/security

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Early Ironman likes this.
  25. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

53FordEffie likes this.
  26. roundvalley

roundvalley

Stay home !

craig b blue likes this.
  27. Keep the car at a friends home with a garage.

28. This is the classic toyota car cover.jpg

dan c, Cody Moncrief, oldsjoe and 2 others like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

I used to live in the SF Bay area in town,I too was paranoid about leaving my '59 PU in the drive way, so I rented an electric jack hammer, quazi cut a big hole out of the concrete, put a 4 inch well casing pipe in it, filled it and the pipe up with concrete, welded many 1/2 inch rods on the pipe, and would lock the chain I had to it and over the front axle.

The truck was under full coverage, but I'd be damned if I'd let them thieving bastards just tow it off without a fight.

30. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Put it up on jack stands, and store the wheels in the house. Keep the headers un-corked, so you'll know if somebody starts it.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.