Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Zephyr

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Bancroft

Bancroft

this car is truly remarkable!!!!

2. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This has be a great one to watch come together. Dan, congrats...this will be the most awesome car in your stable. And Gary, what more can be said hero.......its going to be another masterpiece.

3. dogtag

dogtag

Saw this Zepher at Goodguys Pyuallup a few years ago.
    Still blows me away.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  4. helmsville

helmsville

when i went to look at my 1937 i was upset that it did not have the V front end, like the 38-40 but after looking at it for awile i think 37 is the best, it's the first year and its front end is all by it self. but kinda like the first Gen Camaro 1967 to 1969 it syling just rock's plain and simple. here is a couple new pic's of mine with the new door bottom i still have to put in center patch but the lower hinge is on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  5. helmsville

helmsville

WOW like a rookie to Hamb i just seen the full post on Jalopy Journal ive wanted to see pic's when that car was at Austin speed, but they onley had one, WOW -what a car i wish mine could be that nice that is a rolling piece of art, i just got my piston's for my V12 so it should be rebuilt in couple of month's and if all work's out the columbia two speed rearend will be rebuilt this winter

6. Rikster

Rikster

Fantastic photos Ryan,

It had been a while since I saw some updates on the Zephyr.
    Dan and most of all Gary Howard are doing a killer job on it.
    The work is so subtile in places.
    Most of the cut and past work that went into it is now hidden by finished metal work or lead. And after the body is painted some will never know how much cuts where needed to chop and section the top to look this good.

Thanks for sharing

7. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

helmsville,where did you score that awesome car? you gotta keep us posted on this project,looks like it will be killer.Zephyrs are masterpieces in styling

8. Doc,
    It's good to see that you are using Gary's unique talent:cool: for such a unique ride.....between the two of you, a very outstanding car is going together.
    And Ryan, once again, thanks for bringing it to the forefront.
    Skot

9. texastramp

texastramp

Well it's about time I replyed to this thread. First I want to thank everyone for all the encouraging remarks and opinions.. It's all very much appreciated........ and thanks to Ryan for making the drive to the middle of no where to take another look at this project.

Now about the Zephyr. Recently a friend of mine was working on a project and he remarked it was the most intimidaing set up he had ever done. That's the way Dan's Zephyr has been, and I suppose will be until it's finished. It was such a beautiful car to start with and the danger of not making it more beautiful has been a daunting responsibility in my mind. Dr. Dan has been such a great car owner in how he's let and made things progress. Ya know if you think about it, here is a guy that drives a 55 Chevy with flames and scallops and lace paint and metal flake interior which is a traffic stopper beautiful and in it's own style and era and then builds a car like this Zephyr which is about as much the other direction as one could go. That's all just neat as hell.

At this point I am as close to happy with the Zephy's look as I have ever been with a car " which is big with me since I always feel like I could have done better". All through the last two years I have been truly amazed at the remarks from people who have seen this car. Mostly when someone comes to the shop and sees a car in progress they discuss the mechanics like the welding and sanding and products I'm using, but with the Zephyr it nearly always goes to a conversation about style.... Ah hell I just really like the car and am anxious to see it with that V-12 and some shiny xxxxx paint.

Gary

10. WOW BAD ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't mind TexasTramp I would like to pick your brain a little when I get closer on the 36 that I have started. And really cool that you are here.

11. Zephyr3789

Zephyr3789

That is perfect, by far the best chop I have ever seen on a Zephyr!

12. redrico1

redrico1

beautiful piece of work, these cars have lines like no other.theres not a flat spot on the car.

13. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

Beautiful Car can't wait to see it finished.

14. palladin

palladin
    from Austin,Tx

I was interested to find out that Dr Dan's zephyer in now in Gary Howard's hands.
    That is one fine car. The first time I saw it in the sunshine was at the Lonestar Roundup three or maybe four years ago.
    It was in patina then.
    Before that it spent a lot of time in Mercury Charlie Runnel's shop at his house in North Austin. Isn't he the one who did all the early work on that car and whipped it into shape?

15. skullcracker

skullcracker
    from Austin

Charlie did a great job of getting it done in version 1.0. It had a race built 351 W and fatman frame. Charlie drove it to Paso a couple of years ago which proves how reliably it was done, but all along the plan was for Gary to take her and make it a Custom by Gary Howard. Along the way, we decided to retrace a few steps and keep it as close to period we could. Jim Cook is building the V-12 and the frame is being redone to incorporate more original Lincoln flavor. But you are absolutely correct...no Charlie....no Zephyr.

16. Amoros

Amoros

2013 updates?

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, there ^^^ are a couple of pics of Dr. Dan Peterson's Zephyr taken a year or so after Ryan's post. And there was the fire at Gary Howard's shop. And something about a fire at the engine builder's shop also, cooking the V-12. Then Dr. Dan gives Marcy a shout out for contributing replacement parts.

Meanwhile, I can't seem to find the completed Zephyr. Anyone?

18. I am pretty sure I have seen it in the back ground of recent Instagram pictures from A.S.S. and it looks like it is pretty much as it is shown here.

19. Wow, stunning car - thanks for the updates.

20. liking this build .....