Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Zephyr

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 29, 2008.

1. "Essentially, this is Gary Howard naked"...:D
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, Gary and Ryan...I couldn't resist.

The Lincoln defies description... I see more and more that the modern artists are going so far beyond what they are trying to emulate, which is awesome, IMO.

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Sweet baby Jeezis!!! I think that if I owned that car I would die a happy man... Or maybe if I could lick my balls like that I would.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I thot you were comparing the cat to the Zephyr...or vice versa, attempting to make some sort of statement that I just did not get... cat-car, Zephyr-agile, yellow color- bare metal (hint?), licking itself-jab at everyone else...???

Now I find that it's merely a slip of the electronics...I'm disappointed...!!!

R-

4. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Nice work Gary! Congrats to Dan, you deserve it man! Ryan, you've seen Gary naked?? Do Joanne and Marcie know about this?

5. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Thanks for giving us a look.

6. helmsville

helmsville

I being a owner of a 1937 lincoln three window Zephyr, i would like to see more pic's of these car's, does any one know where more pic's are availible? thank's CH

7. Mopar34

Mopar34

I love all Zephyr's and that one is one of the sweetest seen for a while. As for the cat, I have one just like it at home, except mine is a bit more modest.:D:D

8. autobilly

autobilly

Outstanding work in progress, it's gonna be a stunner! We saw it here first.
    With a side valve V12, it's gonna sound as good as it looks.
    That model is beautiful to start with. I look forward to seeing it in paint.
    Great pic's, thanks Ryan.

9. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Zephyr is, in my opinion, the most beautiful 3-window coupe ever made. Really the ultimate extension of the 35-36 3-window. My personal favorite is the 39, but they're all great looking cars from any and all angles (even from above).

10. TOE

TOE

The picture of the cat had me confused at first, I had no idea what it had to do with the car.

Ryan's explanation solved the mystery. But out of all the pictures that could possibly show up that one is just classic. It had me cracking up in my office, everyone was wondering what I was laughing about. (Once they realized what I was laughing about I think they may be a little worried about me)

Oh yeah that car rules too!

11. been watching this one come together - its is a real gem. Another outstanding custom by our local hero Gary Howard - it doesn't get any better - a true craftsman/designer

Dr. Dan, you've gotta be over the moon on this one... can't wait to see it moving down the road in Austin

12. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think this is the same car.
    Was wondering how the progress was.
    Really emphasizes the amount of work from these to the bare metal pics.
    Thanks for the update!
    Great Car!

TP

13. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

That's one sweet Zepurrrrrrr.

I love the lines and the job done. I see a deep, deep wine. Just in my head.

14. oaktree

oaktree

God, it is beautiful. The basic shape is somehow primordially pleasing. What these guys have done goes straight to the soul. I see it in the same dark black cherry as that Ford Coupe that was at the Little River Vintage Drags a couple of weeks ago. Rods just don't get any better than this one.

15. LEMMING249

LEMMING249

Well what can you say........that Zephyr is a beauty!:D

Like Terry says..................I guess I'll just haul all my stuuf to the crapper!....................Beautiful ride man........

16. MERRELL

MERRELL

that zephyr is the shit..

17. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

That car is going to be so slick.

18. Concrete B

Concrete B

That car is the cat's ass

[​IMG]

19. rbroadster

rbroadster

I know I'll probably take a beating for this but, for some reason, I like this car better with the running boards.

It is one beautiful car though. The way it flows from front to rear is just, I don't know..... right?. The pics with the welds still in place are amazing. Goes to show just how much work goes into each and every panel.

Mind blowing.

- RBR

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I like the running boards as well, but the level of work and skill involved make it one sweet piece of custom art....

21. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

I too have seen the Zephyr come to life from its inception. That car has been around Austin for a long time. It once was the proud possession of our buddy Gibby Haynes of BHS fame. The chassis got butchered many many years ago unfortunately and the car practically ruined, but on a good note the body survived for the most part. More fortunately, Dr Dan got his hands on it and has had the where with all and patience to make this car not only a reality, but what probably will be one of the most memorable and recognizable customs for a long, long time. As you all know Gary Howard is one of the best if not the best(IMHO) car customizer/painter/metal man/visionary out there. If you need proof, Gary will be honored at the Houston Autorama Thanksgiving weekend as "The Featured Builder" at the show. There will be 8 of Gary's creations all together on display at the show and totally worth the price of admission just to see them all together. We honored Gary at the Round Up this past year and it is mind blowing when you get to see a number of Gary Howard Customs together. It's quite a study in fine art. Congrats to Dan for carrying through w/ this project and Gary for just doing your thing. Can't wait to see it finished. Great job on the photos Ryan.

22. 00 MACK

00 MACK

One cool childhood memory that I have was seeing Garys 52 Ford creeping into the fairgroungs at Sprinfield Ohio when I was 11.Just the surreal simplicity with which it was done and to watch it move at 3 m.p.h. made me see it as a hard hittin car at the time.Even with well done mistake free kustoms all over the place,the car stood tall.

23. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i agree,,to me the 39 is the most beautifull ever of the Zephyrs.

but this 37 is so amazing!

24. slammed

slammed

Mr. Howard, will this beauty be painted black?

25. PoPo

PoPo

motivation... I just wish I had the "eye" like him

26. That inspires me to get back to work on my '39 Chevy.... Great job on a great car!!!

27. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

WOW!!!

that car is bad ass I hope to see it someday in person I bet its hard to take your eyes off it

28. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

The V12 Flathead ? that would make that car even cooler
    looking great guy`s

29. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

i was wondering what happened to this car...
    looked great stock,but doesnt look too bad now either:)

30. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Good looking car. I wish they'd found another solution for the headlights; the '37 Zephyr headlights were not among Edsel & Gregorie's better ideas.