Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Zephyr that rocked Santa Maria in bare metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by resqd37Zep, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. And then use the rationalization that, "C'mon...it's different. Enjoy them or you're not K:cool::cool:L!"

The difference is...Kirk is cool!

2. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

I wanna hear what the Fonz has to say.

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

I heard he helped build all three of those "cars".

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

I know. He is so far behind. He does have some new work to put up too.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Holding out on us... damn.

6. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

in theory, anniecargirl rubbing herself naked (car or no car) could be considered art - and thats the kind of art I APPRECIATE - and I think im not the only one. So Annie, help us appreciate art! its either you ro we'll get Ian to post em :)

yea, im still hung up on this - im like 12 so deal!
    but this thread has gone south, way before my input

7. GOD!

GOD!
    from Above

You're an idiot. Picasso was a genius. Those three cars make me cry.

8. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

doh :eek:....

9. the-rodster

the-rodster

Well.

God has spoken.

Rich

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

[​IMG]He'd give it two thumbs up FOR SURE [​IMG]

I'm like Roger, I can't not look, very sad, very sad indeed.:D

11. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

Hey, Pegaso made a few ugly cars, too, but even they were cool. :D

12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

god's got a sig line. :D

13. John Denich

John Denich

I know this is off topic but anyone seen my Rabbit?

Attached Files:

14. V818

V818

15. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

16. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

The Hand Thats ROCKED The Cradle.....
    [​IMG]

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Now that there is funny! :D

18. Shagrat

Shagrat

Opinions are like assholes....., so here is this assholes opinion:
    Not perfect, but who f'in cares.....I'd rather look at 100 cars like this than 1 more shitty, thrown together rat-rod!

19. big creep

big creep

i heard he doesnt drink or smoke, or drink coffee. thats why he looks better then most of us.

20. Jesus, this thread's still open? I was sure I'd come to see it locked. Ian's a real talent. He's always pretty much been known to build some bizarre stuff....intentionally. And my guess is that's his intention here, to build something bizarre. Hell, we're on page 10 for Christ sakes, still talkin about it. I'm sure he's smiling ear to ear right now. I didn't like everything about it, and i didn't hate everything about it

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I hate everything about it.... except for this thread.

22. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

So this is a traditional hot rod and custom message board.

"Traditionally" the point of doing a custom is to improve upon the lines of a car and make it visually better, not just modifying for modification sake. You see that lead to the kooky customs, neat but not for everyone.

In all seriousness if there were a restored Zephyr and it was done well parked next to that thing.... 9.9 out of 10 would really appreciate the beauty of the original design.

I really respect the opinions of those who live it and have done it and been there.

All that being said, why do you think The Ricksters posts on customs are some of the best on the Hamb. Why do you think dudes like Paul Bragg and early Barris or Ayala are so revered in a positive light?

The stuff is "Right" that is why.

Someone has to look at the borders and say yeah that is just "bad", and somebody's feeling will get hurt.. geez the worst thing we can do in todays society is offend someone's sensibilities.

Some time the box does not need to be "Thought" out of, it just needs to be better looking. AND in no way shape or form other than a neat paint job is that box better.

I like pretty boxes.

Rome

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  23. anniecargirl

anniecargirl

Yet you continue to say things like "I don't bring them here and then whine..." Ian DIDN'T bring his cars here. He never has to my knowledge. OTHER people bring his stuff in here and then you all jump all over it because it's not okay to post anything "different" in your little cronie-club. I call bullshit.

And he's well aware that what he does is often seen as controversial...he doesn't care. He does what he wants to. And he does it with great ability. Just because something isn't to your taste, or someone else's, doesn't mean it isn't done well.

It's not me who wants people to shut up when they see things differently, it's your old farts group in here that does that. "It's not what we like so it sucks" is basically the only attitude I've ever seen in here - the only other attitude is "well, normally we wouldn't like it but it was done by someone who's in the 'club' so it's okay". Which is why I stay away from this stodgy place most of the time.

Ian certainly doesn't need me to defend him, I doubt he cares what I think anymore than he does what anyone else thinks. But I find the inbred nature of the HAMB so hilarious and ridiculous at times I just can't help myself from poking the bear. Time for some new blood in the gene pool, kids. You're all starting to look like each other.

My "rantings" are far from clueless, and you have no idea what I do or don't know. I actually think about things before I open my mouth. If I don't know anything about a subject, I keep my mouth shut, but if I do, I have NO problem voicing my own (rather educated) opinion. And I've never in my life done anything to try to be different just for the sake of being different - I can't help being who I am, I've never fit in with the populous, and I don't care to...I learned to just do my own thing and fuck the haters a long time ago. Which is one of the things I admire about Ian as well.

By the way, Ian did that Zephyr at a customer's request...and he laid it over I believe (and I may well be wrong, I'm going off vague memory here) an '89 Lincoln chassis...also at the customer's request. He didn't do the paint, he didn't choose the window trim, he didn't pick out the interior...he did the metal work. I'd bet that the majority of people who hang out in this little nest of humdrum couldn't do with metal what Ian does with it.

All the greatest artists of the world have had haters and detractors as well as those who loved and supported their work (not always, unfortunately, during the artist's lifetime). I've watched different people come up to Ian over and over and tell him how much he inspires them...not to do what he does, but to do their OWN thing. How many people have any of you inspired?

24. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Holy Shit! I knew I never should have posted this thread.

25. anniecargirl

anniecargirl

Picasso was a genius, certainly. And definitely at pissing people off and upsetting the apple cart. But just because he was a skilled painter, and saw things in a new light, doesn't mean it's what I like. I don't particularly care for most of Picasso's work on a personal level. (Except Guernica, that's just a masterpiece any way you look at it.) Doesn't mean I don't fully appreciate his value in the world of art or his skill.

Not once have I ever said if you don't like what Ian does you're not "cool". What I'm trying to point out is that anytime someone does something that YOU don't like, that doesn't necessarily make it bad or poorly done.

It seems to me that if his name weren't attached to half of what he did, not nearly as many people around here would be so quick to jump on it and talk shit. But because so many of you have already formed opinions of things he's done in the past, you don't even bother to look at what he's doing NOW.

You're all still bugged to death by the Bad Fish, which even he admits is an ugly car and something he did just to see what would happen. But he's moved on a long time ago from that. He's already moved on from the projects he's just finished...he's always moving forward, that's what shows he has the heart of a true artist. He's never satisfied with what he's done and is always moving ahead, always trying to push himself and grow in new directions.

While this little old lady's sewing circle is still going on and on about how those darn kids today have terrible taste in music and the girls all look like sluts with their skirts cut so short...Ian's already looking at what's ahead and what he's going to do next.

Toodles, poodles...y'all are boring. I never hear anything new in here, makes me remember why I left in the first place.

Have fun with your panties in a bunch! Makes ya walk funny, y'know. ;)

26. anniecargirl

anniecargirl

and lordy knows he still likes the ladies!

27. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Hey, me too!

Seriously tho,
    At one time customs went through a period where it was all about pushing the limit. Changing stuff just to do it - not because it was an improvement.
    And it pretty much killed off customizing.
    Most of those customs ended up being hard to look at. Hard to appreciate. They just fight the eye for no reason - just to be different.
    As a result of that period of time Customs went out of style.
    Decades later it turned back around toward the original form of trying to refine and clean up the shape of the original car and now customizing is back and is healthy and people are back to building the damn things.
    Everyone's free to do as they please, but if you are going to go against the grain just for the sake of doing so, don't expect a die-hard custom fan to always appreciate it because sometimes it works and works well, but for the most part, it means a lot of messed up cars and in-turn a lot less customs.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  28. V818

V818

I love the H.A.M.B. even if it is a tough crowd.:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. robtech

robtech

there's plenty i woulda personally done different...but i dig the hell out of it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.