Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Young and the HAMB'erd (Rant)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i personally think the older generation has a lot to be thankful for in the younger generation. look at it this way... YOUR generation created this hobby and the younger generations are carrying on this tradition. If it wasn't for theyounger generations carrying on this hobby; it would've live it's short life in those golden years and then it would've died.

As far as I'm concerned; the older generations have a lot to be thankful for in today's generation of hot rodders who are still willing to get their hands dirty and build 'em like they used to. With that being said; the younger generations have a lot to be thankful for too; because without the older generations, there would be no traditional hot rodding. We have come across a lot of old timers who have a piss poor attitude when asked honest questions in a small-talk conversation AND we have also come across many old timers who are more than willing to sit and talk and divulge info and share pictures. The door swings both ways here. Sure; some younger people have piss poor attitudes driven by an extremely huge ego.

It sucks yes, but the older generations need to realize that the majority of the young'ns in this hobby are good, honest people who love this hobby and theyre more than willing to talk. Lets be honest; when you were younger in the 40's and 50's...i'm sure your young ego probably got the better of you in a lot of situations. With age...comes wisdom and a certain level of respect. Dont hash on an entire generation of people because one person disappointed you. and to be honest; if you ever saw the two of us away from our car(s); you'd never guess we even owned something remotely old. We're not elvis or 50's era impersonators (although i do have several 50's style dresses in my closet for special occassions) and we're just regular people who just happen to like old cars. Blue jeans and t-shirts kind of people.

Look at it this way; the young guys have a lot to be thankful for: the old guys started this hobby AND a lot of them are still around to lend a good idea and info. The Old guys have younger generations willing to step up to the plate and carry on a tradition that the majority of the kids their age dont have a clue about. If it wasn't for either side of this argument; this hobby wouldnt exist at all; so put on a smile and find your happy attitude and be willing to talk to eachother in the environment you share.

2. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

And how bout a nicely done custom?

Attached Files:

4. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

P.S. Respect is earned not given. Show respect, receive respect. And there are always those bitter guys out there that are going to give ya shit just for the hell of it. Get over it. I'm young and get along with the older generations just fine.

5. J2

J2

I'm middle aged, and hate everybody!

6. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

7. Larry T

Larry T

And that's going to be a concern to you because............................?

There are assholes of all ages. I pick friends and BS with folks because of attitude, not age.

8. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

That there is FUNNY!:D

9. ...................................you bruise easily and should read an entire post before ya spout off about something ya don't know shit about. Your comment about my avatar makes no sense at all, unless you think it's a "ra_rod" and need to learn the difference between a ra_rod and a hot rod! I enjoy "kar kustom" types and most of their cars, clothing, tats and "betty's". Listen to some "old farts and you too can become a "rodder". BELIEVE ME, I HAVE DISAGREED WITH FAR MORE "OLD TIMERS" THAN YOUNGUNS.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

11. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

12. Exactly! Good answer Larry, you get a cookie!:)

13. gatz

gatz

what did she say ??

14. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I agree, except for the fools that think rust is cool and build their junk accordingly. When I was young, a long time ago, NOBODY built a car to look like shit on purpose as is done today.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I agree to a point, ive never had problems with the old guys and ive been in the scene since i was 12 or 13. Really all the young guys need to do is spend a while looking shit up until the point they can speak atlest a coherent conversation with the old guys and they WILL get respect. RESPECT SHOULD NEVER BE GRANTED, BUT ALWAYS EARNED. Now ive always been the longhaired hillbilly kid with "perpetual projects in the works" but this has always been true with even me. The world at our fingertips and if we arent even going to bother to brush up on a subject we dive into then there is no excuse

BTW i'm 27 now and ive been on the hamb for 10 years and i built my 1st hemi 12 years ago and my 1st harley 14.....

16. im 30 so i dont know if im young or old on here, but regardless, it was said before, i pick friends for the conversations and personalities, not for the A-holes they are! age dont matter as long as you're a chill person...

17. What are you trying to say about people from South Carolina!:D HRP

18. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

It has been my experience that the people I have met at traditional hot rod gatherings, wether young or old, are the best people on the planet. The few jerks I have met who where older than me, where most likely jerks when they where young too. It's funny how the few A-holes that I have ran into where driving 80K muscle cars and "boydsters"...

19. Actually the only old folks I got grief from when I was young were people that didn't like me to have a car or a bike. Some of the "old" folks were the one's that ended up in my garage late because I was up building an engine or a transmission for them. But I was an early bloomer. I should ad here that I did get ribbed a lot and still do, I am and always have been a kind of a goofball. I believe that you can say or do about anything to any one as long as it is not said or done in malice.

That said I don't disrespect anyone because of their age and I don't even disrespect lack of knowledge. I do have no respect for ignorance, there is a difference and I do believe that you as are many of the fellas reading this know of what I speak.

Sometimes I see younger fellas all greased and creased, older fellas as well. I am a little slovenly when it comes to my appearance. Grease is not comfortable and I don't take the time to iron my T shirts or blue jeans. If someone is a fashion queen it is not an indication of ignorance in my book, that seldom happens until they open their mouth.

Most people who know me know that I do not live by the golden rule. But unlike many that I have met in my time who do live by the golden rule I will not kick you when you are down. I do give everyone the benefit of the doubt, I don't treat anyone poorly until they have done so to me. Again that is not age dependent it is dependent on a persons actions.

Anyone can earn the respect or disrespect of anyone else. No one is automatically deserving of respect it is earned. The same can be said for disrespect. It is all action dependent.

Some of them have had no upbringing and need to be raised prior to teaching them a damned thing.

But just to bring it around to something a little more pertinent I think that blowers suck or blow, hmmmmmn I don't know which is proper in this given situation. :D

20. Irishman

Irishman

I tend to go to any car gathering I can. To be honest, most of the time when I attempt to have a conversation with the owners I'm usually greeted with a blank stare.

Are they being rude?

Nah, it's just that nobody can understand a damn word I say with this blasted accent! LOL

21. tejas34

tejas34

Just being another old fart... I vote for "RED" rims on all hot rods!
    I think the younger guys represent the shot in the arm that us older rodders needed, just to keep perspective.:D

22. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I find it amusing...

Im 35. dont know whether thats young or old anymore...but the opposite of this thread was up the other day and all the old folks jumped right in and gave their input...now the other side tries to make their point and its slammed against a wall...
    I think the point has been made.

Another thing, just because you are old doesnt mean you automatically get respect. you still have to earn it no matter who you are or your age.

remind yourself too that this place was all started by a guy who is now only in his mid 30-s!

23. pumpman

pumpman

Frankly I don't really give a shit about this. I do give a shit about staying curious, respectful to those who are respectful to me and share the same interests. I reserve the right to be a nasty old fart when that is the way they come on to me. Yes, it would be great to be young again but I'd only fuck up the same things again. The upside is I would be able to see all the cars I had when I was kid and see all of those great old kooter's that use to yell at me and take me under their wing.

24. Beau

Beau

If you were old, retired and sitting on the HAMB all day you'd get sick of people too!

I agree, lots of cranky old fuckers on here, but there are double the amount of nice old fellas on here. They usually don't post in threads though, they PM you with quality information.

If you read threads on here often, you will quickly notice the dozen or so 'Old School HAMBers' that ruin threads always spout the "Blah blah blah years ago this and that" followed by opinions and nothing that contributes to the topic at hand.

Now for a lesson in the 'Elvis impersonator' types.

These people usually start out as the goth kids in middle school. Often turning into punk rock and hating the world in their bright colored hair. Then they need to grow up. The next natural progression is one of the 'billies'. They spend their lives playing dress up and posting a lot of photos of themselves online. The women are often well fed and full of trendy tattoos.

But all old guys are just beer belly carrying, balding, flowery t-shirt wearing, lawn chair anchoring, "get off my lawn" types of people right?

:)

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what was the question?

26. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Hey, I like the young crowd, Elvis impersonators and all. They general have the hottest girlfriends and I like to people watch. At 61 and bald, I admire guys with pompourdors. (LOL)

27. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Where this comes from I have no idea, I have never heard anyone who built a rusty car say they built it "just like back in the day". Not everyone who builds an older car wants it to look just like something that someone elase has already built. When I was building muscle cars in the 80s and 90s NOBODY put pro touring suspensions on them or used late model drivetrains, factory parts were used. Guess I should walk around the car shows grumbling that "These cars are pure shit, this is NOT how we restored them back in the day!" I built my buick with no paint, frame off rotisserie build done so I could paint it in the future if I wanted to. Did I pattern it off something from the past? Hell no, I had a blast making my own parts and modifying parts as needed to work. I was at a huge "rusty car" show this weekend with plenty of traditional hot rods with paint and plenty of street rods as well. Amazing how everyone got along great. There are a lot of good people on this board with lots more early car experience than me which is why I come here to learn. Some of the posts around here make the hard core traditional guys look like narrow minded aholes. In real life I havent met any that were, guess things are different on the net.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  28. Well I certainly resemble that remark. ;)

One thing to remember is if you are a young person or an old person and you ask or do somethig stupid you are probably better off not to open the PM I send you. It is just because I am soft hearted now that I am older and don't think everyone should see you ass bleeding in public.

29. Beau

Beau

I planted grass a few weeks back and the neighbor kids starting riding bikes through the dirt and cutting through the yard. I started to walk outside to yell at them...then I realized...

30. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

You know what i hate? The old guys that all ways know more than me just because thier old. Im 31 and have had a 1956 chevy since i was 14. I got to know my car and the tri five chevys because i was really into them at first. Ive had to stand there and listen to old guys say some of the dumbest shit trying to school me. Ive been respectfull and not an asshole. Ive even tried to correct an old timer or two and then been told that i couldnt know because im too young. Like i cant read a book.

But i still meet some cool old people. Respect doesn't come with age it comes with experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.