Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Y- BROCK Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by garage2small, Aug 18, 2015.

1. garage2small

garage2small

Ok, after years of driving street rods, and hot rods that were owned or built by some one before me or finishing a project some one abandoned half way through, I finally get to have one I started from the get go! It's an A coupe, of the 31 variety this time. My avatar is the 30 I'm driving now, assembled it myself in a one car garage from a near complete rolling chassis, and a decent but poorly repaired body. It has served me well for the past few years but it's time to step up and do one my way. Actually my way with a whole lot of help and input from two of the best in the business , more on that later.

I am starting with a solid and complete 31 Deluxe coupe. After about a week of tear down and a week of wire brushing to see what I had, the results looked very promising .
    That was last fall and since then I have been collecting parts, good vintage hot rod or original parts whenever available and some reproduction stuff when necessary.
    The plan is to build a traditional flavored highboy on deuce rails , with very few frills and to the highest quality my skills and budget will allow.
    The parts collected so far are the following:
    a complete 1961 292 Y block with 2x4 intake, top loader 4 speed, traction lock 9" with 3.50 gears, ASC 32rails and boxing plates, Model A rear cross member and spring , flattened Model A front cross member, 1934 front axle with 5" drop , 1932 spindles, 32 split bones, Wilson Welding repop Lincoln brakes made to fit the 32 spindles, F 100 steering box and column, Pete and Jakes ladder bars, and 4"x16" steelies with 4.50 bias ply Firestones, and 6"X16" steelies with 7.00's ,and several other goodies essential to having "the look".
    Many thanks must go to Charley Burchett at Genes Hot Rod Parts in Knoxville and Jim Barillaro at Barillaro Speed Emporium for giving me access to their personal stash of choice parts.
    Since I am no kind of fabricator , and want years of trouble free driving from this coupe ,I hauled all the chassis bits and pieces over to the best fabrication shop in the Southeast (IMHO) Barillaro Speed Emporium here in Knoxville, for Jim and Mike Barillaro to build, with the directive not to stop till they had a complete rolling chassis ready for the body. Oh yeah and while they were at it to modify the sub rails, floor pans and firewall so the body would fit exactly as it should, a 4 inch chop will come later. Good progress is being made on the chassis, when Jimmy is not working on the rebuild of his Pete Eastwood 29 roadster ( he has a build thread on The Hamb) and Mike is not working on his TROG bound belly tanker. Well that should be enough info to give you an idea of where this build is headed, I will post more as progress is made. The overall plan is for the Barillaro's to do the chassis fab, the body mods, and help sort out the Y block. I will clean dirty parts, bolt things together, sand, grind, and anything else I can do without screwing the project up. A reminder it is only 7 weeks till TROG can't wait!!! Hope to see many of you there.
    3-1931 Model A coupe project.jpg 5-1931 model A coupe body.jpg 6-stripped project body.jpg

Tim, kidcampbell71, 47ragtop and 6 others like this.
  2. brady1929

brady1929

Great start. Good luck

3. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool. As the owner of a couple y blocks, including a 32, I'll be watching.

mctim64 likes this.
  4. Nice plan and nice coupe.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Should be good going by your avatar!

6. Always like the y-blocks, I used them in my first and second Model A's.

7. Here is the Y-block in my dads pickup, I do like the exhaust note of the Y-block.

IMG_0522_zpscce34938.JPG

8. Eagerly watching this build-up.:)

9. garage2small

garage2small

Thanks brady1929.

10. garage2small

garage2small

Yes sir absolutely the look will be very similar, the chop won't be quite as much ,and it. won't have hood sides

11. garage2small

garage2small

Thank you sir.

12. garage2small

garage2small

very cool , I wish my dad had been into hot rods!

13. garage2small

garage2small

Got a few more photos to post of progress on the coupe. The frame rails on the jig and boxed, Jim B. installing the front cross member, and the nearly completed perimeter frame. 2-boxing the frame rails.jpg 3 setting front cross member.jpg 8 front C notch.jpg 12.jpg

14. garage2small

garage2small

Lets put a few more parts on chassis. Could not wait to see what the body looked like sitting on the frame. I think that 5" drop in the axle and the flattened cross member is going to put this thing in the weeds once all the weighty bits are added! Thought I would throw in a preview of the engine that's the namesake of this project, it was supposed to be the last picture, but refused anything less than top billing! Also I could not keep picture of body on frame from posting twice. 61-292 Ford Y Block.jpg 7.jpg 7.jpg 27.jpg

Tim, kidcampbell71, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  15. garage2small

garage2small

A few more pics of last weeks progress. The motor was mocked in place and Mike B did a kick ass job of fabricating some motor mounts. The original seat is going to be used so the seat pan was cut loose and moved back a bit to allow clearance for the shifter. The next task will be mounting the steering box, drag link, and pedal assemblies. I'm also including a photo of Mike Barillaro's belly tanker that he built for this years TROG. Kudos to the Mike and Jim for being chosen to participate in TROG for the third time, probably would have been four years, but they were not aware of the event until the second year! 29.jpg 008.jpg DSCF6038.JPG

16. garage2small

garage2small

When I joined the HAMB a few weeks back and was deciding what name I would use, I was looking through some of the photos taken while I was building my current coupe, saw this one realized what it had to be! body work 014.JPG

Tim, kiwijeff, scrap metal 48 and 2 others like this.
  17. garage2small

garage2small

Stopped by the shop today to check on progress. Jim had mocked up the F-100 steering box and the front shocks. Also got a cool shot of the shop interior , (taken by Mike B.) My coupe on the right, also a 32 five window with a cool 60'S vibe, and Mike's belly tanker which will be competing at TROG next month. The O T beast on the lift is getting a set of mike'S awesome custom fabled headers. 20150902_163159.jpg 20150902_163128.jpg IMG_0470.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  18. garage2small

garage2small

029.jpg 028.jpg DSCF6160.JPG 049.JPG A lot of progress has been made on the Y-BROCK Coupe chassis over the past few weeks, chassis fabrication is about complete. I'm posting a few photos of the outstanding work, by Jim Barillaro on the chassis. I took the body to media blaster yesterday, when it comes back, Mike Barillaro will work his wonders on the sheet metal that needs attention and lower the lid.

kiwijeff, Stogy, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  19. The excitement level is building.:D Good to see the progress................Don.

20. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

That A is coming along very nice

21. garage2small

garage2small

002.jpg 004.jpg Got the body back from the blaster late yesterday, turned out great no surprises. I don't which is more exciting, one step closer on the coupe or knowing that in less than two weeks I will be on the beach at Wildwood watching the Barillaro belly tanker ,and all the other TROG cars and bikes blasting down the sand! Hope to see many of you there.

22. Body is etch primed and ready for sheet metal work and a haircut!

Attached Files:

23. 32owner

32owner

Very nice build here is mine IMG_20150929_130014567.jpg IMG_20150929_125958668.jpg IMG_20150929_125642955.jpg

24. garage2small

garage2small

that Y block is looking good 32owner is that a 34 Chevy radiator shell?

25. 32owner

32owner

1935 chevy tried to be a little different

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. 32owner

32owner

getting ready to add 3 deuce setup and T5 Trany this winter

27. 32owner

32owner

28. 32owner

32owner

left the wood exposed also to befifferent lol

29. 32owner

32owner

what year trany and is it a t5 what did it take to mount it. mine now has a 1967 3 speed out of a 289 falcon not enough need more gears because this y block screams any help would be appreciated I was told the t5 will bolt right up to the bell housing I have on it now just need to drill one hole and ready to go keeping fingers crossed again any insight welcome thanks Freak

30. Nice build 2small. I enjoy a Yblock build and yours is coming right along. I'll stay tuned.

34fordjay and lothiandon1940 like this.