Register now to get rid of these ads!

The whole story of my 1936 Ford 3 window coupe "barn Find" and how I am preserving it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INLAW MODEL A, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I remember the story when you got it, but seeing the pics with Orville is pretty awesome.

I will probably end up doing something similar with my other cabriolet, although it needs floors from firewall to tailpan and has a stuck flathead. But it has some kind of candy green paint that's faded like yours. It was built in '55. If you guys ever make it down to the shop, I'll show it to you.

2. Great find and also great story.

3. moefuzz

moefuzz

Beautiful story
    Beautiful Car
    And with you at the wheel it will have a long
    Beautiful Life.
    Congrates on finding such a gem

4. whitleyscustoms

whitleyscustoms
    from Herald,Ca

very cool nice find

5. englands54

englands54

Wow...i wouldnt change a thing...good things happen to good people.. Congrats..

6. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

That's awesome! Congrats!

7. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Very cool story and Grats, I didn t see any thing about tires. They are not rotted ?

''I wanna go where the lights are low where I can go'n spend my dough an dance with the dolly with the wooden leg''

8. Funny you should ask, The tires were new in 1965 and have excellent tread but they are dry rotted and chucks are falling off of them. They do not leak at all though.:D

9. Well I had a little time and I disassembled the front end. I made a list of what parts I needed and talked to my buddy Willie first. I borrowed his spring spreader again and his kingpin bushing tool.
    I gave him this list for parts:
    Brake shoes
    wheel seals
    king pins
    spring bushings
    brake levers
    brake rod rubber bushings
    This is what he had laying around:

[​IMG]

I can't believe he has nos king pin sets. The rest of the stuff I needed I bought from Mac's

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the wear in the spring bushing:

[​IMG]

All apart

[​IMG]

Installing and reaming bushings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spindles back on

[​IMG]

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

Just came across your post this evening. Read it from start to present. Congrats. Nice things happen to people that do the right thing for the right reasons. Great looking car. I wish I had it and you had a better one. Take care.

11. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

Holy smokes!!! What a great story! Congrats on the car, I'm sure you're going to do her justice!! That thing is beautiful!!

12. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

What an awesome story and an awesome car! Went to the right place!

BigJoe

13. jhaas63

jhaas63

Just read this whole thread and enjoyed all of it. I too found my 53 Ford F100 from an older guy in Wisconsin!

14. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

One of the great hamb stories

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Attached Files:

16. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Nice find! Interesting story. :)

17. 54jalopy

54jalopy
    from Australia

Lucky you! Cool story.

18. longgoner

longgoner
    from western ny

great car .... there's just no substitute for the way they were. thanks for taking the time to share the story and pictures.

19. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Personally, I don't think anybody on the H.A.M.B. would fault you for converting those brakes to hydraulic from a '40-'48. I would think you would have a little peace of mind with a better brake set-up than the mechanical one that is on the car. Those grille aren't cheap.

20. teejay99

teejay99

Really a great story ......I think you should write everything in a journal otherwise you'll forget all the cool details over time . It would be a great read years from now .

T

21. I worked on the 36 some more this weekend. Sunday was a good day to be in the garage. It was below zero outside.

Since the axle was out I decided to fix a few more things like the exhaust and starter. The exhaust joint was rusted out and leaking bad. I took it apart and patched it with the base of a Ford 8n muffler pipe. Good enough for now. I will weld it later along with the holes at the joint.

I also turned the armature on the starter. It was in need of it badly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also finished the axle repairs. I spent 1.5 hours degreasing the axle assembly. I installed spring bushings, king pins, brake rod bushings and yoke ends. Now I need the brake shoes I ordered from Mac's to arrive.

[​IMG]

Here it is back in:

[​IMG]

tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Wow .... That's the only word I can think of at the moment ... Unbelievable story... Congrats

23. jesse1980

jesse1980

24. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Good deal. Did you replace some tires ? Just curious

25. Smokeshow

Smokeshow

Well done!! I really like the car and its "character":) Don't change anything, just make it mechanically sound and preserve it. Good to see that you took the PO for a ride. I am sure that reaffirmed their decision to sell to you!

26. Great story, great car - you done good and right by all in every way. Now, you are doing the car justice - enjoy it my friend as you have a treasure you can behold every day!

27. Sweet car! That would be the Crown Jewel of anyone's collection. Whether you keep it original or restore it, it's one killer car!
    Hard to find them that look this nice in original condition.

28. Incredible story!

29. That car along with the story are just plain amazing... After reading the first two pages then seeing the picture of you and Orville in the car together I couldn't help but smile. You have a real keeper there and thank you for sharing the story.