Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Wee Terry Coupe Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Little Terry, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Little Terry

Little Terry

Right hand side done…
    DC691622-34E5-4830-B7C9-731F57DB79EA.jpeg 846AF955-D3FB-469C-A7E6-A9D5E479753B.jpeg

tr_rodder, Outback, Okie Pete and 7 others like this.
  2. Smooth and organic.

Little Terry and Outback like this.
  3. Those look great! Simple and classic.

Little Terry and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Nice work Terry, thanks for posting regularly on the coupe project. I've enjoyed following along to this point. Cool that you got the car in Scotland, that's where my Dad's side of the family originated. Keep up the good work and enjoying the journey. I did notice an old question on an arcane point in this thread though.

It's called a "moire pattern" and happens when two screens are overlapped. In the old pre computer days this was a situation to be avoided in the screen printing world and "screen angle" was something you had to mind when doing screen based color separations.
    https://www.britannica.com/science/moire-pattern

Moire.jpg

OK, back to the build!!

Jrs50, loudbang and Little Terry like this.
  5. Little Terry

Little Terry

A bit of a milestone was reached last night.

Still loads to do.

6. v8flat44

v8flat44

Don't Ya know, thats one of the sweetest sounds on earth :) !! GR8 job so far, "keep it up & see what happens"........

redoxide and Little Terry like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hell yeah congrats! Sounds 100% hot rod

redoxide and Little Terry like this.
  8. Little Terry

Little Terry

9. Little Terry

Little Terry

Not much of any significance to report, but I’m still working on the coupe here and there.

Did I mention it runs?

Made up a carb linkage and throttle pedal arm, then spent the best part of 2 days doing the Hokey Cokey with it. I think it’s ok now. Just needs some paint. Not quite settled on a final pedal but would like to use the old ally one I have. Can’t remember where it came from, but it is a floor mount one and I am going to reserve judgement on final position for it until my clutch and brake pedals are finalised.

966BFA64-A154-4D3B-B77A-A83175BE43FF.jpeg

While looking at the floor mount pedal, it became apparent that I would need a floor, so I had a go at that bit. Also didtched the green shift knob I was going to use and made another one using a stock knob and a ww2 US army cap badge.

78903439-EC4E-4A4B-BD06-A9E1C5A1C6B4.jpeg

It’s starting to look a bit hot-roddy don’t ya think?

4EA10487-F2C4-4DD6-8C89-8EFFC4293FE9.jpeg
    83D7F09A-5E40-4DC0-A987-5C671AE37528.jpeg
    8FB922F1-0A9D-4426-A76A-914CB72F44D2.jpeg

I still have to cut the slots for the pedals and make the toe board. Along with plenty of other jobs!

tr_rodder, 282doorUK, -Brent- and 8 others like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Nice!

Little Terry likes this.
  11. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Looking great!

Little Terry likes this.
  12. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really looks good, fine work and execution.

Little Terry likes this.
  13. Little Terry

Little Terry

Thanks guys - i'm still enjoying it.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Your wee 'office' dulls mine...Love that '40 wheel, and Nautical styled floor.

Little Terry likes this.
  15. Little Terry

Little Terry

Body is back off while I work on fuel lines, brakes and handbrake cables.
    body off.jpg

It's surprising how much there is still to do on this project, even though in my last post it didn't seem far to the finish line!

I have the mechanicla fuel pump in operation, but wanted to add an electric one for priming and plan to run it off a push button under the dash. When it's not running, the mech pump should pull fuel through it ok and there is a one-way valve built in. Maybe overkill, but while the body's off it will never be easier to fit one. I have drilled and tapped the inside of the frame to take the battery cable clamps when the body goes back on.

Master cylinder.jpg fuel pump.jpg
    frame2.jpg

The fuel hard line is going to run up the outside of the toe board and then transfer to the inside of the firewall. A tee goes off to the fuel pressure gauge that faces the motor. I will run the flexi line through a grommet in the firewall to the mechanical pump.

Front fuel line.jpg

fuel pressure gauge.jpg

I also have the option of upgrading the rear end. The car currently has a 4.11 ring & pinion, which I knew all along was going to be a bit low for the flathead and 3-speed. I came across a 3.54 gear set and bough that with the thought of modifying the '40 banjo. But then I had a sudden rush of blood to the head when I saw a pre-owned, but un-used Winters Quickchange for sale here in the UK. I got a set of Boling Bros. Lincoln-style brakes for it and a closed drive conversion kit, along with some spring perches. Now I just need to figure out what route to take - the higher gear set in the '40 banjo would look more traditional for sure, but the QC just looks so cool and ticks a lot of boxes from a flexibility and reliability perspective (although I'm sure nobody changes gears in these things that often in reality!).

Quickchange.jpg
    I'm waiting for a few small parts to arrive that are holding up progress at the moment, so over the last couple of evenings I have been doing some repairs to the Appleton Fog lamp, which had fatigued and split around the base and the rivets were loose. I made up a steel plate and shaped it to fit inside the brass bowl, then I used some lead solder to fill the holes and bond the patch in place. I have a bulb holder on the way that will slip through the reflector and hold a readily-available 12v bulb.

Fog1.jpg Fog repair.jpg

tr_rodder, 282doorUK, Tim and 5 others like this.
  16. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Some nice work there! That fuel gauge is perfect! & Who doesn't like a quick change!

Little Terry likes this.
  17. Little Terry

Little Terry

Thanks OB, I appreciate the support

Outback likes this.
  18. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

This has been a fun build to follow - keep up the good work and posting! The fuel pressure gauge is a cool touch but I would be cautious you are now brining fuel into the passenger compartment.

Little Terry likes this.
  19. Little Terry

Little Terry

Thanks. I plan to box in the junction that sits inside the firewall. The bigger concern is the fuel tank just behind the seat!

Outback likes this.
  20. Little Terry

Little Terry

I have finished the Appleton fog lamp repair. I have decided to leave the battle scars rather than repaint and have polished up the reflector, the chrome trim and the remaining paint. With the new bulb holder it works a treat.

Does anyone have any tips on how I might try to polish the scratch out of the lens?

fog 2.jpg fog 3.jpg fog 4.jpg

Tim, brEad and Outback like this.
  21. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Sounds like a good plan. As far as fuel tank placement I can't say much as mine is near like yours as it's still in the cab of my '57 Chevy truck too! Keep up the cool work!

Little Terry likes this.
  22. Little Terry

Little Terry

119E12A7-6CC3-4452-997E-926B8123D23F.jpeg I have offered up the winters axle today and tacked on the spring hangers. It looks like it will work without altering the torque tube or drive shaft, apart from indexing the radius rod mount. The adaptor that goes over the input shaft clocks the torque tube round slightly.

I have the perches set at 45” centres, so I will need a shorter main leaf. I have a lead on one from Buckland Automotive, so that’s the next move. I plan to use the roadster supply type lower shock mounts and will need to make some weld-on brackets for the radius rods.

Oh, and my dipstick and tube and shifter came back from chrome today.

1456FD5A-5866-4D39-904E-E95FC04B444A.jpeg 3FC838EC-BE7B-4F4C-BA3C-712B3321CE20.jpeg
    45402354-FF28-49F1-A795-0B7B6C56C3A4.jpeg

tr_rodder, Tim, brEad and 2 others like this.
  23. Little Terry

Little Terry

I've got the brackets tacked onto the axle and sorted out the torque tube orientation.
    winters3.jpg

I also decided to give the gearbox a rebuild while the back axle is out. It looks ok, but will benefit from a good clean out, as well as replacement thrust washers, throwout bearing, syncros and seals.
    trans1.jpg
    trans3.jpg

24. Little Terry

Little Terry

Trans rebuild is done and back in the chassis. I swapped to the clutch shaft with the flat end, so that I can use the F1 pedal rod. The trans needed new clutch bushes, seals, roller bearings, blocking rings, thrust washers and throwout bearing, as well as new gaskets all round. I buggered up the front bearing retainer seal, which held things up a bit while I waited for a replacement, but got there in the end - quite an enjoyable process doing this part of the project. Nervous Bob was a huge help and walked me through the inspection process and replacement parts.
    trans4.jpg
    clutch shaft.jpg trans7.jpg trans8.jpg trans9.jpg

tr_rodder, 282doorUK, redzula and 4 others like this.
  25. OpenThrottle

OpenThrottle
    from So Cal

Beautiful chassis, really cool build. Congrats.

26. Little Terry

Little Terry

Thanks OT, I appreciate the feedback.

27. Little Terry

Little Terry

I'm getting bak on the home straight now. The Winters axle is in paint and just waiting for me to fit it's spring, brake shoes & cables. Then I can get the underside of the body into paint and mounted (sounds easy, right?).
    winters5.jpg

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks
    Great

Little Terry likes this.
  29. Little Terry

Little Terry

Thanks. It’s back on its wheels again. Brake shoes, brake lines and cables fitted. I think I need to add a leaf or two back into the rear spring pack to give it a bit more height, but I guess there will be a bit of dialling required once I can drive it anyway. 3407D08A-EA00-453A-AF22-6535E023D7D7.jpeg EC62BB15-487F-4E1C-8F70-FFD92015899A.jpeg 34A3AF3C-CCA7-424B-8EE5-E4B410473FB8.jpeg

30. 33Doll

33Doll

Cool!!!
    Is it gonna be a right or left Driver?