Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "THE WALL OF SHAME"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by duncan, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Gauge hole? on the dash in our '57 wagon when we got it.

Attached Files:

Dave Mc likes this.
  2. A good file will clean that right up. :D

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. oz40

oz40

Here is a current job in my w/shop. I'm having to redo the whole lower sections, wheel arches,, doors etc. Done by a so called professional hotrod shop down here in Oz, with, "quote" 145 years combined skills, building quality show cars. WTF. This is only a small portion of the pics I have,, there are just so many areas on the car to be redone,, and the chassis had be junked now, also.

Attached Files:

Dave Mc, mgtstumpy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. "locking" diff.
    [​IMG]

5. They must have over 300 guys working there then. :rolleyes:

6. The thing that gets me about most if not all these ... ahem ... “ repairs” is good parts and steel, tons of bondo and time where just flat out wasted!!
    The proper repair could have been done in the same amount of time.

On my 69 Lincoln the right rear door had a ton of bondo in it, I thought it got hit hard and wrinkled so the Po filled it with bondo.
    When we started body work ( the car otherwise was rust free original paint very clean ) I started on that door and ground, and chiseled about 10 pounds of bondo out of a punch bowl size soft dent!! No creases or kinks looked like some ones fat ass fell into or got pushed into the door !
    I pushed it out with my hand and hammer and dolly on about 10 minutes!!! Must have took days to lay out all that bondo in the lowest part it was about 3”-4” thick !!!!

loudbang and classiccarjack like this.
  7. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Must of had the "new guy" learn on that poor car...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I have a urge to shove a block of cheese through that hole...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bleach and vetteguy402 like this.
  9. sunbeam

sunbeam

Starbird.

10. ratfink500xl

ratfink500xl
    from Renton, WA

IMG_0952.JPG IMG_0951.JPG IMG_0953.JPG
    No motor mount, no problem... 1960 F-100 with y-block swapped from later truck with different front mount.

chryslerfan55 and brad2v like this.
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's some fun stuff on a 1940 Ford truck that was built by a friend of a friends father in law back in the 80's. this was a nice looking truck when built... with a few pieces of poor engineering.

truck had an MII suspension, here is the steering. on a positive note it was a collapsible steering column
    IMG_7623.JPG

IMG_7622.JPG

IMG_7618 small.JPG

chryslerfan55, Dave Mc and mgtstumpy like this.
  12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

look at the pads for the rear axle. it was only like 1.5 inches long. he wanted the truck back so I never redid this. I told him to NEVER put the pedal to the metal. I'm sure I could have twisted the axle housing on the springs with a good burnout.

IMG_7648.JPG

the original X member was cut out for an automatic and pretty much the left side was not attached to the right side other than the square tube trans crossmember and two bolts. I added the drive shaft loop to make it a little better, but he was more about just getting it running as it had sat for quite a while.
    IMG_7651.JPG

chryslerfan55, Dave Mc and mgtstumpy like this.
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this is a 1951 Chevy. here is the lower passenger side rear rocker panel replacement that EMS sells. it looks like a tray for drywall mud and is nothing at all like the part that they cut out. it is a shit part to begin with and an idiot installation at a local shop.

if you look closely you can see the handle of a yellow screwdriver left inside the rocker. not to mention the floor brace was not welded to the new piece. we cut a chunk from another car and welded it all in like factory and tossed this in the trash.

IMG_9561.smallJPG.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  14. A 60 Ranchero at a local wrecking yard. Wood???
    [​IMG]

slv63, chryslerfan55, Oilguy and 7 others like this.
  15. Colin HD

Colin HD

slv63, Atwater Mike, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  16. ems customer service

ems customer service

SO 49 RATFINK IT SEEMS MAYBE YOUR MAD -- CAUSE YOU WELDED THE SCREWDRIVER ON THE INSIDE OF THE ROCKER PANEL :)

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you are such a dipshit. I cut that EMS crap out and cut a section off another car and patched it correctly. the part does not look anything like what was there before, this was done at another shop. you r parts are mostly crap, you really shouldn't come here and try and defend them

here is the EMS crap, poorly installed by another shop: VVVVV
    IMG_9532.JPG
    this is what it looks like not installed. the owner of this car bought a bunch of EMS stuff. this is NOTHING like the part it replaces. VVVVV
    IMG_9559.JPG
    here is the bit we cut from another 51 and another while fitting it...
    IMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG

while we are on the subject of poorly stamped parts look at the fender lips on the lower quarter patch. these are junk. it is supposed to be a nice crisp corner. how is a person supposed to put skirts on with a quarter patch like this? the car also had a panel below the trunk installed by someone else. again where the trunk lid closes the corners are round and not crisp like original. most of these cars are only rusted on the bottom.. NEVER buy one of those full EMS tail panels, just patch the bottom.
    IMG_9538.JPG
    then we come to the under body brace braces that dont even have the parts you need to bolt the body down. I would have been better off patching the originals. I had to make the part where the bolt is and weld it inside
    IMG_9847.JPG

EMS does make some good parts. the quarter panel patch would work if you did not need the wheel lip, and if your car was crushed in the rear the tail panel would be OK since these are always rusty back there.. floor pans are pretty good, the owner of this car used the door bottoms with some amount of success.

some of this stuff I don't see how you can even sell it

18. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

no mo floor 024.JPG Clutch pedal.

chryslerfan55, Dave Mc and GuyW like this.
  19. XXL__

XXL__

"No charge for the exhaust repair labor. I'll just bill you 'cost plus' on the materials."

2018-11-29 19.39.21.png

2018-11-17 21.06.09.png

slv63, pwschuh, chryslerfan55 and 6 others like this.
  20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Don't you just love the universal joint angles on this car and it passed technical inspection!!! Someone was asleep at the wheel!! :eek:
    A coupe steerings - Pine Rivers.jpg

Steering shaft from RHD conversion on 90s OT car, done by a reputable shop :eek:
    20141105_115730.jpg

Brake and clutches pedals too short, not a problem. Don't do it right and make new pedals, just add filler pieces :eek:
    IMG_5539.JPG

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

This was passed as a hot rod by a local identity down here, shameful. Very well engineered however NOT a hot rod.
    001-39.jpg
    001.jpg

Light duty industrial uni joint, NOT DOT approved
    28A uni.jpg

Opps, I mounted the brake and clutch pedals too low and forgot to double shear them. It'll be OK, just bend the push rods and do the rest later
    ch 019.jpg

22. topher5150

topher5150

I'll be the first to admit that there will be some creative engineering on my car, but most of this stuff is just pure stupidity and laziness.

23. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Back in the early "70s", my wife and I spent the day riding with a buddy and his wife in his rod. After we got home, I was told he brazed his steering shaft together. WHAT! I have been very very cautious about riding in some ones car I'm not familiar with. Brakes on some (most) cars can also be a big surprise.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Actually,I still have the gas pedal/hinge hanging on a nail in the old garage, a buddy of mine commented on it this past weekend saying we should market them to the rodent rod crowd, he seem to think we would get rich! :rolleyes: HRP

chryslerfan55 and brad2v like this.
  25. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

as far as the hinged gas pedal goes, have you ever looked at a vw bug pedal. also, aren't just about every floor mounted gas pedal done by some sort of hinge. about the only ones that are not are hanging pedals.

26. GuyW

GuyW

Don't have a pic, but some numbnuts previous owner hacksawed the bottom flanges of the stock C-section frame of my '34 Chevy PU on each side and bent the flanges down so they could bolt the stock Olds trans support to it. Needless to say, with a healthy 371 Olds and hydro, when one got on the loud pedal, the front half of the truck did a different boogaloo than the rear half....

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. Andy

Andy

I have a Vega box that had the splines ground off the steering shaft. Their u-joint was a smooth bore but it did have set screw. From a professional shop. The other end was done better. They used a 3/16 roll pin.

28. Andy

Andy

Somebody sent me a picture of the front end of their 32. They had a stock 32 axle between the wheels but had another mounted above the grill shell on some channnel on either side of the grill shell. They used huge late model struts with the springs and all. Very impressive.

chryslerfan55, RICH B and GuyW like this.

29. So a solid axle McPherson strut front end ?!?!

PLEASE find these pics !!

brad2v likes this.
  30. gasser-a-go-go

gasser-a-go-go

chryslerfan55 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.