Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Wagon Ford shoulda' built, so we did!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket's Hot Rod Garage, Jan 29, 2020.

1. This is astounding. Not only the finished item, but the way it´s been done.

2. I first heard about John Byers many years ago. At the time he had just finished painting a ‘40 Chevrolet sedan ( lovely shade of blue).

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Great job. I have been following along and I love the painted car pic with some of the bright work attached, that makes the whole thing work.

Killer job.

Cliff Ramsdell

4. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Man, o can't anything that hasn't already been said except, that I now have a new favorite shop!

This thing is OUTSTANDING!

If my lotto ticket ever hits big, you guys will definitely be getting a call!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

6. Final assembly was a lengthy process. The car outside was it as we loaded it up to head off to upholstery @ Stitches in Pulsbo Washington.
    IMG_5901.JPG IMG_6270.JPG IMG_6300.JPG IMG_6315.JPG IMG_6440.jpg wagon wiring.jpg IMG_6185.JPG

Outback, BigO, brEad and 31 others like this.
  7. It should be mentioned that originally the interior was going to be "Coral" & white. Once we where close to paint a change was made to the blue/white. Some people like it some probably don't.

We had sent the dash off to Tony after paint so he could wrap the top & we could install it so that was done before he got the car to his shop.

IMG_5555.jpg

We then installed the custom made engine turned paneling. We where shooting for the more "sporty" Thunderbird look with the dash.

IMG_5564.JPG

We also used Thunderbird knobs.

IMG_5753.jpg IMG_5752.jpg

rfraze, BigO, brEad and 38 others like this.
  8. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow!...that's all I can say....Wow!

9. Mart

Mart

It just gets better and better. Thanks for posting the updates as it shows what can be achieved if you have the vision and skills to do it.

10. What are those vents off of on the dash?

loudbang likes this.
  11. We made them mostly & the grills are '57 Chevy. Check out post #201 on page 7.

Thor1, scotty t, Hombre and 4 others like this.
  12. I LOVE that dash! I have been debating what to do to mine since the padding is long gone and think I just figured it out!

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Details stacked on details!

14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

15. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

I think the colors are perfect for that car! Great build!

16. We decided collectively that we wanted the "debut" the car at The Grand National Roadster Show. Once we herd about the re-tooled Al Slonaker Memorial award we thought it'd be fun to show up for that. Part of "competing" for the award was having a 20x20 display. So, while the car was gone we got to work on piecing together a display. I had never done a real display before so it was new to me & presented some new challenges.

I turned to @JeffreyJames for some help on designing. We wanted something that fit the "factory concept" vibe we where shooting for. We studied allot of 50s Motorama pictures & displays. We wanted to incorporate some of these elements but not take away from the car with an overdone display.
    Ford Wag display Ver. 1.JPG

After playing around with some more ideas we settled on an oval railing. A customer/friend of mine has a large industrial fab shop & was able to bend up the large arced aluminum tubing for us.

IMG_4021.jpg IMG_4038.jpg IMG_4030.jpg

17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are perfectly right, the build quality is over the top- and I disagree that Ford would have been able to build it at this level from the factory----Nope, it would have been a cheap-ass trail and miss.

scotty t, Hombre and guthriesmith like this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finding an original 56 padded dash gave you the trim piece just under the eyebrow lip. I hated them in the past. Our new black Vic my dad bought my mom had none of the padding. After a few years they looked pretty bad along with the visors. The pleats in yours really add to its great look.

biggeorge, loudbang and Hombre like this.
  19. I had a previous employee (Rico's Garage) take dimensions off @JeffreyJames original design & he cut the base sign parts on his table.
    IMG_3894.jpg

This ended up being a fun little project. We wanted to add some depth & detail to the sign. I found some cool 3-D letters that where the right color & style on line. My good friend @Andy_H (Hells Gate Hot Rods) was able to scale & 3-D print the FORD Crest. It's really cool.

IMG_4022.jpg IMG_3969.JPG IMG_4025.jpg 59849055948__C818061A-D1B8-42F3-8536-E824C67A8325.JPG

20. IMG_4086.JPG

Making the frame & base for the sign. It leans back 3 degrees & has a 5" frame with a polished lip.

IMG_4066.jpg
    IMG_4068.jpg IMG_4072.jpg IMG_4075.jpg

Then the sign parts where off to Byers to be painted up.

BigO, ClarkH, dwollam and 20 others like this.
  21. Hombre, loudbang and Peanut 1959 like this.
  22. Jon & crew knocked out the sign parts including the crest.
    IMG_4060.JPG IMG_4096.jpg IMG_4101.jpg

OrthmannJ, BigO, ClarkH and 18 others like this.
  23. Made up a rack deal for the trailer to haul the railing. Off to have it coated.

IMG_4059.jpg

Lucky my wife's school cafeteria had a big nice space & we where able to do a test run of our display & layout some holes for our carpet & sub floor.

IMG_4103.jpg

ClarkH, dwollam, jakespeed63 and 20 others like this.
  24. belair

belair

The colors kill.

25. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

wow! just an amazing car, & display!

loudbang and Hombre like this.
  26. your love to the detail is incredible, even at the pieces for the display is everything well thought and perfect done.just wow!

27. While we where messing around with the display. Tony (Stitches) was doing his thing on the upholstery.

IMG_3980.JPG IMG_3979.JPG IMG_3983.JPG IMG_3986.JPG IMG_3974.JPG

BigO, alfin32, dwollam and 19 others like this.
  28. IMG_3978.JPG IMG_3972.JPG
    The interior was loosely inspired by a '59 Ford Sunliner

IMG_3921.jpg

BigO, brEad, ClarkH and 29 others like this.
  29. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That dashboard is KILLER!