Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Wade Model A Coupe: Build Thread & Photo Journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I've been back on it for almost a week now, and will be working on it until the Lonestar Roundup...so I might be able to squeeze a more detailed update in there somwhere.

For now, I guess I can show you what I worked on for the last day or so?

I started back up again by working on getting the body straightened up, and it actually isn't too bad. It does need to have some poorly installed patch panels replaced, so while I'm waiting on Brookville to ship them to me, I started getting the new upper cowl and header sections ready.

I bought this piece in California a few months back, and it was exactly what I needed for this project. I was lucky to find it. It did look like Cows had been walking on it though.

Here's how it looked as received...

[​IMG]

And here's a series of shots showing the straightening process after I media blasted it...

[​IMG]

In the above pic, I'd already done the preliminary dent removal with a BFH, and ironed it out a little with a low crown hammer and high crown dolly. I'd also started the pick and file process and done a little shrinking with a shrinking disc.

You can see the progression using the same techniques in the next four photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It still needs a little fine tuning at the edges, but that will be attended to when I weld it into the Model A body. By the way, I had to remove the inner structure from the header to get to all this, and I'll re-install it when I get the body welded up.

This coupe is going to get HAMMERED during the chop, so adding the '34 windshield frame and header will add a lot of visibility that would be lost if we kept the visor. It also will give it some of that "Chrisman Coupe" flavor that a lot of us like so much.

That will probably be all I'll have to show you guys for a while, but stay tuned. Things will be happeing pretty quickly on this project over the next few months.

-Brian

2. -Brent-

-Brent-

Good god...

Definitely using the right parts, Brian. Can't wait to see it spliced together.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome! Thanks! Keep it coming!

4. See Scooter all we needed to do was whine and beg and plead. Thanks Brian! Looks awesome as always.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Shit, I need one of those magic Hammer and Dollies you are using for my '32. I might be able to bring the rear quarter back to life.

6. Thats Badass Bass! I am looking forward to seeing that header installed on the Wade Coupe. Keep up the great work! It is always mind blowing to see the progress you make and the fabrication techniques that you apply to your work. Way to stand up and Testify!

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was just thinking the same thing... Having a brain fart. What the hell are those things called??

8. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I think you're talking about the Bullseye Pick.

I got mine from Eastwood...they really do work well. Just don't get carried away with it. :)

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YES! Thanks! That's what I was thinking of! :cool: Never used one, but had been thinking about getting one and trying it.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I wasn't. I was talking about the magic dollies that transform "awwww shit" to "oh shit!!!" type metal. I need to start screwing around with hammer and Dollies as well as those shrinking discs. My shit my not be as bad as I think it is......or it might be worse when I'm done with it hahaha!!! I am going to start trying on my collapsed '32 quarters I have hanging on the wall.

11. JJ,
    the stuff you'll need comes in a can and you simply smear it on and the damage is gone! Better pick yours up in 55 gallon drums :D

Bass, looks great dude! You raise your own bar with every frickin post.

12. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

OUTSTANDING!

Nick.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'll show you you son of a bitch. I am going to make every one eat their words......

.....but I'm going to ship my '32 to Bass and have him bring it back to life to do it!:D:D:D:D

14. Thats the spirit!

You'll do fine son, just be sure to stock up on flat black rattle cans as well ;)

15. pow...right in the kisser....ouch

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Are you saying Brain Bass build rat rods???

Back the the Wade Coupe, inspiring to say the least. Do you have a youtube video od the repairs like you did withe '49 fast back?

17. Don't put words in my mouth you red bearded troll. I am saying, that compared to Brian Bass, we all build rat rods. The rattiest ones immaginable. Thats what you and I build.

Sorry Brian, back to you

18. Cshabang

Cshabang

cant wait Man....HURRY UP

19. jj mack

jj mack

That is awesome.

I am defiantly not a body man... I look at spots like that and think of cutting them out and welding in a patch panel.

I need to practice a little more and repair before jumping to the conclusion of replacing.

Thanks for posting Bass.
    jj

20. Rusty

Rusty

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

You do Beautiful work and need to post pics weekly,of any progress you do...
    thanks Brian

22. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

Thanks for posting your work for us FNG's to drool over, absolutely astonishing. I taught nuclear component welding for the military for four years, and I thaught I was pretty crafty with a tig torch, until I saw your work. BADASS!!!

23. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

24. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

WOW , just WOW.

25. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Stunning build Brian....

26. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

Anybody in the Salinas CA area interested in teaching a workin stiff how to begin to weld? Motivated! And all I can say is WOW about the work displayed here. WOW!

27. My mind is already blown trying to visualize a 34 windshield in a model A... I've got the day off tomorrow, mind if I drop by?? :)

28. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

Bass, you just think differently than a lot of people... your on a whole other level!

You've been addressed as Mr. Bass consistantly, although I think Dr. Bass is more fitting.

Thanks so much for taking the time and posting all the picks and info!

29. Rem

Rem

Jeez, the chassis work was enough, but seeing that sheetmetal transformation is pure inspiration.

Thanks for making the effort to show us how as well as what you do.