Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Ute...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 7, 2012.

1. calling all Aussies: did GM Australia also make ute's from the early 40's Pontiacs? dunno if i ever saw one, pictures anyone?

2. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

They made a few Pontiacs and a Sloper body too

Attached Files:

3. norton58

norton58

There was quite a bit of stuff that was converted on the assembly line for the army in WW2...leave it with me, I should have some pics n'stuff.

4. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Would be easier to buy the real thing.

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

6. Thats what I heard. But I think that was after Mario sold it.

7. You would better to start with a 4 door body. If you used the Tudor the proportions would be off and it will look like a Phantom. You will also end up with a short bed/tray.

8. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

I heard from a previous owner that it is still down your way but parked and lookig a little sad.
    Adam Chivers did all the custom work on it for Darrel and I made a fitted a set of Cruzin skirts to it

9. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

A LHD 1959 FC Holden ute

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. REBEL

REBEL

See any resemblance?

Attached Files:

11. Rok 51

Rok 51

A mate and I havin' some fun in his ute a few years back when he owned it.
    He was a mate of the guy that owns the '33 feral ute above.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rocky.

12. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

the Ute style reminds me of the old flower cars. wish I kept my old Cad La Salle

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• fc 3.jpg
      fc 3.jpg
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
    • fc1.jpg
      fc1.jpg
      File size:
      23.4 KB
      Views:
    • fc5.jpg
      fc5.jpg
      File size:
      198.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  13. Yeah, looks like a modern version of the FJ Holden

[​IMG]

14. I think that this sedan delivery would make an excellent Ute.There is a seam under the stainless just over the rear fenders that would give the body just the right height.
    The fiberglass body ( for sale locally) has the correct side and rear windows.:D

Attached Files:

15. Weasel

Weasel

Not that easy - as others have said a Tudor would be the wrong basis. The figure that just about every panel on the ute may look the same as U.S. Ford but they are very different - the dimensions and curvature are unique to Aussie Fords. Rear window is smaller, rear quarter windows are different , doors have a different curvature and perimeter outline. Been through this with my buddie's 1940 ute and so this is from first hand experience. I doubt if you can "just buy the unique parts" either - this stuff is really tough to find even in Oz. When I last talked to Larry O'Toole - author of the definitive ute book "The Good Old Aussie Ute" he commented how rare the 1940 Ford ute is. By 1940 Australia was already involved in WW II and much vehicle production had been switched to military production....

[​IMG]

16. autobilly

autobilly

Yeah, it's parked by the side of the road in WestTweed with a saverely damaged RHR quarter, poorly repaired with riveted sheet metal and a trailer light. I last spoke to DM a couple of years ago, he's only really interested in his vintage surf gear/shop these days.
    Do you guys remember his chopped and flamed, two door EK?

17. autobilly

autobilly

I nearly crashed while "second-taking" when I first saw this otherwise stock Ute driving past Coolie Airport. I believe a young woman owns it now.

18. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

And has been converted back to RHD

19. You clearly missed my first post in this thread where I was talking about the out of proportion 1/4 windows on the Aussie utes - especially in the pre-war Fords.

JH

20. You have to remember these were fore and foremost commercial vehicles. Form follows function. And what you missed is the fact that these weren't built with US tooling due to the import laws of the day. OZ bodies had to be built locally. Hell Australian '39 Ford roadster is merely a '37 roadster body with '39 gear and trinkets. The Australian market is unique and separate from the US market. The concept of the coupe ute was to have a car you could go to church on Sunday and Market on Monday. Looking at Oz bodied vehicle with what you know about US bodies of course they will look out of proportion. I am sure the factory had similar thoughts but they couldn't compromise the tray length and I am sure ol Henry didn't want a 3w like Chevrolet.

what manufacture built this body? yes the rear has been customized and it has been channelled but the rest of the body is basically stock.
    [​IMG]

21. toddc

toddc

Here is my ute made from a sedan.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489654

There are 1/4 panel and tailgate skins available for Fords from Peter Jackson in Australia, but they are unfinished as most utes were individually fitted.
    Waddingtons also produce new Ford ute bodies.

But like has already been posted, there is a lot more to it than just putting new 1/4 panels on a sedan.

22. Something must be getting lost in translation here.....

I understand where an Aussie ute was built and why the 1/4 windows were short. I've not "missed" any of that.

I just think the proportions would look better with a US-built, 5wd top grafted on.

JH

23. What proportions?

Attached Files:

24. Not lost in translation I have seen some utes modified in that way.

Below is a local car it has had coupe 1/4 windows fitted so a back seat could be fitted. It is pretty cool and practical for a family but is slightly awkward with its shorten tray, this is what you have to be careful of when doing what you're have said. Since the '40 1/4 windows are shorter than '46-'48 it could work, you would want to use the ute doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. :(:(:(:(:(:(

26. Hahahahaha!!!! It's Aussie Falcon Ranchero vs. US Falcon Ranchero proportion comparison deja vu. :p

I like the longer top and shorter bed on the '48 you posted.

Maybe I'm just crazy. :confused:

JH

27. Stoke 49 Ute

Stoke 49 Ute

49 Ford sectioned 4 chopped 3

Attached Files:

28. duke182

duke182

maybe you re crazy but im on the same train as you.
    i really like the proportions of that 48

29. ehdubya

ehdubya

It also lost those curious ribs in the roof but retained the Holden PV side panels, I doubt any of that will convince Roadkill it's a backyard custom ;)

30. ehdubya

ehdubya

Not a Ford but you missed this one which is surely big enough :D

[​IMG]

incidentally the very same vehicle appears in 2 other shots in the thread

[​IMG]

[​IMG]