Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods the use up some of my hoarded stuff to free up space and build a neat hot rod thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOLLYWQQD, May 5, 2013.

1. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

i have been saving some money up to build a new garage/shop/lounge . it seems every time a deal on a cool part comes along i have to buy it for fear that a better deal will never come along again ! I'M SURE A LOT OF YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM !!! well i was organizing some stuff and realized i had a bunch of crap here that i kind of like but i really don't need or see myself using on personal projects ,so i decided i am going to make all of these not so traditional and not so much my personal style parts into something a little easier on the eyes but low and mean enough to appeal to the current trends for resale purposes. i have a 27 T roadster body that i just picked up from a HAMBER , it was setting on a 1.5" x 3" box custom frame (not really something i would choose ) , the front and rear suspension are all show chromed ,57 chevy rear and the front has chrome 49 to 54 spindles too , so that was the perfect place to hang the 16" wheels i had laying around with 7.00x16 rear www and 5.00/5.25x16 www fronts that i had kicking around with 5x4.75" bolt pattern. i have a 283 SBC and a th350 tranny laying around and the frame was set up for them already so they now have a home!! i have several choices for headlights kicking around here , actually bought a bantam drag car years ago and for some reason it came with a chopped steel T shell and radiator set up for a SBC so that will work perfectly here!! i have some gauges laying around and figure i should be able to make these parts into something pretty neat for minimal effort and flip it to add to the garage savings while making someone happy to have a neat car and freeing up some much needed space!!here are a couple pics of the suspension / frame / body and wheels to give an idea of direction!! i'll update as things happen and i hope to make this as quick a build as i can make it considering i am working 2 hours from home monday through friday so 4 hours on the road added to my 8 hour work day and taking some welding courses through the elevator union two nights a week for 4 hours a night . so i have some weekend time to work on it and maybe a night or two during the week!! alright i have wasted enough time sitting in front of this computer off to meet kustom1957 and a couple other club guys at his shop to go over a plan and solicit some help!!

and before anyone gives me any shit about using a glass body ,chrome late model shit on a traditional site , this is not my taste , i am only really interested in traditional styled rods and kustoms look through my albums and back posts to see what i am into . i am just making these parts go together as kool as i can and selling them to someone who is more into them than i am!

HOLLYWQQD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  2. jfrolka

jfrolka

Damn, not bad for a toss together. It actually looks pretty cool and tastefull.

That little hot rod should fetch some good coin when done.

3. Just some junk I don't need....:rolleyes::D

4. indyjps

indyjps

Why not, Ive looked at my pile of stuff and theres most of a car there, I have a back burner project that it will all go in. Have fun with it, keep the pics coming. Looks good, someone will be happy to have it, you can fund your new shop.

5. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

well the front half of this frame just wasn't looking quite up to standards, someone in the past had not so perfectly tried to mimic model A horns using some tin and plate grafted on the front of the 1.5"x3"box tubing , so we almost scrapped the whole frame to run a model A frame that i have at kustoms shop ,when i stepped back for a second to remind myself that this is a LOW BUDGET" "get rid of stuff i DON'T want" build and he remembered he had a front section that he salvaged from another project so we decided to go that route and just do the front half .

[​IMG]

for some reason i HATE the way T bucket style headers look on anything but a brass era cookie cutter T but, i have a set of sanderson chrome T bucket headers that came in a lot with some other parts i wanted so i ended up with em and might try to look past the ugly to let them go with this car if the geometry will work with the turning radius and such ! if anyone has a set of lakes style headers for a SBC and needs a set of sanderson T bucket headers i would gladly swap em!!

[​IMG]

he also reminded me that he had today off . so a plan was set and most of the fab work for the swap he did today while i was at work .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that's it for today , he has tomorrow off so he is going to finish weld and grind and smooth out the front half and finish the boxing plates ,transfer motor mounts and shock mounts etc.etc. maybe thursday or friday we'll be able to get the motor and tranny mocked in there to get the body mounts started .

6. bgaro

bgaro

looks like you've got some neat stuff.

7. COOP

COOP

Ain't nuthin' like usin' up old shit to build somethin' cool. Not only get to use your imagination, but to clean up the shop.(and make room for more old shit) I just got thru doin' this with a glass '29. Cleaned up a bunch of stuff and found sections of garage floor that hasn't seen light for years. Your project is lookin' good. Gotta be a lot of satisfaction there.

8. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Looks like a great way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

a couple quick pics of final stance ....gotta mold in some body mounts and weld in motor mounts then blow it all apart to final weld and paint the chassis and get the body ready for color . it will be FORD Wimbledon white with black chassis , motor , firewall , dash and interior , and chrome everything else!!!! i'm pretty sure we are going to flip the hairpins to make them flow a little better with the lines of the car, any reason why that is not a good idea ?? i have seen these style radius rods mounted both ways so i assume it is just a matter of preference ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i have an ongoing 27 touring turned 2 door lakes style modified project that i pulled the dash out of a couple years ago to do something different so here it is getting ready to be re purposed into this little roadster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Ain`t it just amazing what can be in the "scrap pile"?You just found a whole car.Now,where did you hide the gold bars?Hehehe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

11. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

the gold bars are in the storage area disguised as magnesium wheels in the form of 16x13 halibrands and 15x8.5 americans and 15x3 american spindle mounts etc etc. chrome strombergs , vintage nicson , moon , and offy speed equipment etc etc ha ha , i have bought way more than i have sold as far as hot rod parts go and i need to find a balance . i have drive trains and wheels/tires for my next 3 high priced hot rods . that's ridiculous considering i have no building to work on a hot rod in !! so the clubhouse garage will be the spot that a couple cars get built this summer and sold to fund the shop so i can start on my own 33 5 wdw and my 27 modified and my 27 drag coupe and maybe finish up my 59 apache!! i figure i can put up a decent shop for 50k ! so i'm headed in the right direction!!

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Sheesh.. Just threw that together? You have a problem..

But it's a good problem to have.

13. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I need a better scrap pile. I just looked in mine hoping to do the same. I only found 2 coke cans, a 1 ft piece of angle iron and a piece of a 2 x4.............

14. Hollywood looks great doing the same for my sons 27 all built from left overs hand bent panels a rpu good luck

15. dad-bud

dad-bud

Hollywqqd, that's just a great way to clean up your piles - in more ways than one.
    I think we all agree with you that some of the components are not super-HAMB-friendly, but it's coming together, and I'm sure you're having fun too.
    Looking forward to updates.
    Cheers.

16. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

ok a buddy stopped by the shop today looking for a set of t bucket headers so i told him to hand me $50 and get those ugly things outta my sight ! i just couldn't deal with them !! somewhere in the archives i have a set of megaphone motorcycle pipes that we made a set of SBC lakes style headers out of that we didn't end up using for a t bucket project . once i dig em out i'll post pics of them and the motor mocked up in the roadster!!
    here is a pic that i had in the computer of the pipes on the bucket project to get an idea what they look like !

[​IMG]

and the motor will be the 283 that i was going to use in my apache but decided a bigger motor was a better idea since i want to be able to tow a camper or car trailer behind it ! here is a pic of the motor and tranny that will go in this roadster project!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  17. derbydad276

derbydad276

subscribed this thing is starting to look kinda cool

reminds me of the (Stone Soup) cars a local radio station built from extra parts

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Is it ok if I say that your rearend gives me wood?

19. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

cool stuff around the shop. maybe you want a yellow coupe lol

20. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

MAYBE! .... I'd fly out like I did for the 59 and drive her home ! The coupe looks great and I hope you keep it long enough to enjoy some of the attention and praise you will get for building such a cool little hot rod .

21. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

I have another chrome 57 chevy rear that was narrowed a few inches then set up for buggy spring and split bones . Also have another complete chrome front end here that I'd part with so you could Get wood from your own rear end. If interested we'll talk price

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I am, but I am broke. Bad timing...:(

23. I seen that body and chassis setup before, I thought the chrome front and rear looked kinda neat. Also surprised to see you ended up with it, small world..lol

24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Cool subscribed

25. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

removed the 283/th350 from the apache project to put it in this one! if i keep the apache i was planning on a bigger motor so i can tow a trailer or camper with it anyway so no big deal cannibalizing it for this !! tried the chopped T radiator and shell but the radiator was too tall so i ordered a shorter one and we clamped the shell on there for an idea of look and i like it !! we messed with some headlight and shock mounts and finalized motor and tranny mounts . running into a few minor issues but all in all this thing is going together pretty well . the new front frame section put the steering box in contact with the radius rod with weight on the car so i will be spacing the hairpins out 1" and that will clear everything and cure the problem . we discussed reversing the box or using a reversed box i already have and mounting it on top of the rail which would have also fixed the problem and maybe looked better even but remember this is a use up stuff build and i may want to use the reversed box i have on another project plus the frame welding is already done and going backwards costs time and money !!! so spacers it is . i will replace the clevises in the front with heim joints mounted to the outside of the axle plates and space the rear out away from the mount to achieve clearance!!

here are a couple pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  26. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

steering column shortened up 6" and got the taillights,and signal stat plate bracket/light set up and mounted the filler neck and topped it off with a 3 bar accessory knock off spinner that was laying around. , radiator showed up and we are still going to have to modify the front crossmember to get the height right. WTF . oh well if it really just bolted together everyone would be doing it !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

This little roadster is coming along great! Especially considering it was assembled with parts you had laying around. I can't wait to see the final iteration. Keep up the good work.

28. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

slight change of plans , although i had the T shell and a radiator set up laying around it didn't quite work out the way i hoped so i ordered a different radiator and when it showed up , guess what , didn't fit . we were planning to modify the cross member and sink the radiator down and clearance it for the lower water pump hose but my buddy kustom had a late 20's or early 30's chevy grill shell hanging on the wall that he's had for 25 years , we pulled it off the wall , made a few cuts , and slipped it over the radiator and looked at each other and knew right away that the hot rod gods were smiling .
    here is a pic of the chevy radiator shell hung over the new radiator and we raised the body up again an inch in the front and 2" in the rear so for the THIRD time here are pics of the FINAL stance .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. koachwerks

koachwerks

This new setup looks a lot better. Matches the cowl nicely.

Chris