Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The upholstery thread to end all threads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

Don't know if this was meant for me or not, but I used 1/4" foam for my door panels. I didn't want the pleats to look too poofy...

Roothawg likes this.
  2. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

I like it just fine. I bought some inexpensive vinyl and started practicing right away. It seems to be a somewhat standard machine that is widely used, and there is a lot of stuff on YouTube about threading it, adjusting tension, oiling, etc, etc.

MY only advice on tension is not to over tighten the top thread tension adjuster. You don't want to see a lot of threads coming through the knurled adjusting nut. A few is fine, but if you have 5-6 threads showing, it's a bit too much.

There is a couple of videos on YouTube from a place that does repair and setup of those machines. It has been very helpful and I'll see if I can find a link and post them up.

Found them:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  3. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Hey appreciate that.... ill be watching em!!
    R/
    Boxcar

Whoamel likes this.
  4. Mo rust

Mo rust

Speed reducer? We put a crank pulley off a 283 on the machine head so we could slow it down to a crawl. Our machine is a singer and has a last patent date of 1929. It's got a walking foot and my father made several different feet for it. It's supposed to be an old glove machine. We bought it at a farm auction for a dollar.
    sm.jpg

5. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

I went with the small motor pulley instead of the full jack shaft type of reducer. I can run the machine really slow, but it will still go pretty fast when the hit the pedal. I also have the motor set at the slowest speed, and it'll still sew plenty fast. The small pulley was a quick install, and very budget friendly.

I also adjusted the throttle linkage to the motor to give it a little slack in the pedal. It seemed a little easier to me to control the startup speed. The pedal was too touchy for me with no slack.

I haven't touched the machine for a bit. I'm going to hit some junkyards very soon and see if I can find a bench seat to experiment with. I need to find something (hopefully) around the same size as my '40 Ford. I'm thinking maybe an S10 or a Ranger seat might be close...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Mo rust

Mo rust

We haven't upholstered anything in a few years. In fact, I just had my 32 upholstered by a local guy and he did a nice job so if I can have him do it in the future if I don't have time to do it myself.
    32upholstry.jpg

7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@Mo rust great idea on the sbc pulley and going to try that on a consew that’s deadly fast. The 3w interior looks great.

I bought a servo motor for my singer 29k4 . The install was easy and just a few mods plus it works pretty good . C6A2458F-0183-45C6-96A0-45FC6F1F9937.jpeg

8. Mo rust

Mo rust

I thought mine was old but yours really does look like an antique. One step above an old spinning wheel.

Whoamel likes this.
  9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@Mo rust lol yeah it’s from 1914 but sews great and built to sew leather like tool bags,shoes and holsters 297E9311-B2EC-4934-89B1-48D12234D8FF.jpeg