Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Unibody Roadster Dissected

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalshapes, Feb 5, 2009.

1. VanHorton

VanHorton

I love your car! It seems like so many cars today are put together to fit the same mold with the same old parts and designs that have been done so many times over. Its nice to see something like your car, that has a lot of time and energy put into the engineering of it. reminds me of a carefully built, purpose built, racecar from back in the day or something. good job, its cool because it is different but still so familiar...

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. VanHorton

VanHorton

o yea, could you share some detail about the removable hardtop to? that would be awesome i really like the look of it...

brEad likes this.
  3. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thanks for the nice words, guys...

I'll take some pics of the Hardtop tomorrow.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought those might be Deist. Thanks! Deist makes super nice belts!

Man, I just keep going over these pictures and I'm trying to figure out WHY in the hell I haven't seen the details on this car until now!! You've really done an outstanding job. The amount of thinking and planning you did to build this car really shows. Keep the details coming! Fabulous!

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. metalshapes

metalshapes

Super nice guy too...

He tought me how to pack a Shute, at B'ville some 10 years ago.
    ( he made a little experimental Shute to give extra stabillity to a short wheelbase/high horsepower car that I volunteered on )

brEad likes this.
  6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neat-o! That's something you'll always have with you!

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah... :)

8. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Clean.Very cool.Well thought.Thanks for sharring this.

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

Here are some more pics of the Hardtop.

Roadster 051.jpg

Roadster 052.jpg

Roadster 054.jpg

I didn't have a lot of Metalworking Tools at the time, so I made it out of sections that already roughly had the right shape.
    Or parts that were small enough that I could shape them with just a Hammer & Dolly.

You can see lots of hammer marks on the inside of this piece...:D

Roadster 055.jpg

I already had bought my Beadroller, so I put a bead in the side
    ( when I built the car I didn't have one yet, so I made the Panels at home and brought them into work to put Beads & Breaks in them after workhours...)

Roadster 058.jpg

some more detail of the Driprail.

Roadster 060.jpg

Roadster 061.jpg

Roadster 062.jpg

And the Driprail wraps around the inside as well.
    To finish off the edge, and to protect my head from the sharp edges off where the roofskin attaches to the frame.

Roadster 063.jpg

More Info on this Thread...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11722

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

WOW!!!!! Great post Alex.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. metalshapes

metalshapes

12. Awesome! Well thought out and well executed plan...definitely want to see this one in person someday...thanks for sharing

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That car is just so cool......

14. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Amazing! Thank you so much for posting the details.

15. I love that car!!!

16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Love it:D thanks for the great Craftsmanship and the time in posting her.

17. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Great, Thanks now I have to ripped some more stuff off mine and re do it.

Great Post Alex!! Its the one I have been waiting for.

Tom

18. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

One of the smartest hot rods around. Now or ever.

Thanks for all of the detail shots. Especially the exhaust and rear bulkhead area.

19. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Wow! Alex, that is a way cool car. I love the way you used all the room to your advantage. I've been thinking about ways to build one like that. You beat me to it. VW bug comes to mind when I see the frame/body from the bottom. I'm digging the placement of the gas tank and battery too. Great design process. I really like the fresh thinking you put into the build.

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

All I can say is wow. Your fab skills are phenomenal.
    Great looking car. Well thought out. how many years have you been working on this?
    I feel like a hack after seeing your work. :)

21. rat seeker

rat seeker

This thing is awesome, very nice job

22. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

A few years ago when my wife and I were visiting friends in Tuscon on an across country trip, I visited Alex at his old place and he showed me his roadster and even insisted that I hop in and try it out for size, Wow, was it roomy. I'm not as tall as Alex, but interior space in any of the older Fords has always been at a premium - not here! What Alex did to achieve the very spacious interior is just too freaking much. Also, the attention paid to the small details is mostly missed on first inspection, but becomes evident when you sit there and scratch your head and finally get what you are looking at.

Additionally, besides having a fabulous car, Alex proved to be a really nice guy. What a combination! Thanks for the latest post, Alex.

brEad and volvobrynk like this.
  23. Russ/40

Russ/40

You say it's been on the road for 8 years? Great engineering, wonder, have you had any stress fractures anywhere in that time due to the unibody?

24. all I can say is that is AWESOME....damn nice job! Hope to see it in person some day

25. GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........that thing needs to be on the street,ALOT!

26. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Wow! I may steal some ideas from you, I'm pretty tall and was wondering how to fit in my truck if I chop it.

Also, a Fiat X 1/9 gas tank mounts exactly like that, I could just yank one out of the X sitting in my yard. Assuming I could make it fit behind the seat in a truck, I could get a somewhat useable bed. That's something I'd like alot.

Awesome car!

27. Alex, really awesome ideas and great execution, Never seen anything like it , thanks for the posts and pics,,,,,

28. Alex, Thanks for all of the detail, your car is very Colin Chapman with some Paul Fitzgerald thrown in. What an impressive car. I really love the way that you built the solid backbone for the car. I saw somewhere that it was similar to an MG, though I would say, more Sunbeam and Lotus derived. Truly a great engineering marvel.

Best, MRAK

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. autobilly

autobilly

Thanks for the lowdown Metalshapes. As Ryan suggested, the first glance traditionel look, clean lines and cool stance belie the innovative design and engineering.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. tell the truth Alex! Your just showing off your damn inside lift in the new shop........LOL