Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Underrated Orphans from the 1950s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 1, 2012.

1. I always liked those Plymouth Suburbans, one of the coolest 2 dr. wagons ever.

2. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

1957 Chrysler Windsor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Built in the early 80's. And yes, the four door is the best looking model.

[​IMG]

4. oldthudman

oldthudman

Chrysler had a nice palette of colors in that era..........

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The early 50s Studebakers were at least a decade ahead of their time and the late 50s MOPARS at least 5 years ahead of their time.

Underrated? I don't think so. Ford and GM adopted slower changes to production in an attempt to control costs, the result being that they sold more cars in the long run.

Studebaker spent itself into bankruptcy with rapid changes and Chrysler let Exner's team go for the same reason. You can't sell enough cars to recoup the costs unless you're charging Ferrari prices.

6. Weasel

Weasel

Mopars are NOT orphans -part of The Big Three - geez....:confused:

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The kingpin-and-coil-spring cars don't seem to have much in common with the torsion-bar-and-balljoint cars, so in that sense they're kind of orphaned.

I've always liked the '55 Plymouths with the non-sport trim. You never see them, though; which is odd since they were among the five best-selling cars of the model year. They're every bit as good looking as a '55 Chevy or Ford, and perhaps better looking as they're a bit more restrained.

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Mike - both Loewy and Lowboy are correct. Owners and admirers have been using those two appellations since the '53 stude coupes were introduced. Loewy is obviously used to denote that famed designer, and lowboy was used to describe the stunning profile in comparison to the stodgy sedans of the same years.

dj

9. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I always liked the orphans, but stuck with traditionals, [early fords]. But now I would like to have kept my dads ol' 47 Dodge cpe [which I inherited] It was a good 'makeout car', and have since seen some good looking Dodges when lowered etc. One buddy got a 53 Stude cpe, and that day we lowered a bit and cruising Market st. in Riverside we pulled up to a new 57 T bird found we were looking up at it. The new V8 Plymouths were cool, and I wanted a 57 Desoto real bad.

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

As in the '40s Orphans thread, we should remember those makes that were launched in the '50s, and a few others that died during that decade:

Edsel
    Henry J
    Powell (pickups and wagons made from junk Plymouth parts)
    Edwards
    Cunningham
    Hudson Jet
    Aero Willys
    Scarab
    Continental (as a separate make)

Packard and Hudson breathed their last during the '50s, as did most of the cars on the list above. Edsel, Studebaker and DeSoto wheezed on for another year or three before they expired.

11. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Plymouth=Orphan
    Desoto=Orphan

12. TALLAN

TALLAN

1954 Stude HT are also nice, pic below is my dads ImageUploadedByTJJ1352427361.688787.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad