Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Ugly Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Body mount bracing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We ran a piece of 1" tubing from door jamb to door jamb, and welded it to the new fllorboard patch panels, and tied it back to the rear wall of the cab.

Louie brought along his own shop dog, Max. He didn't eat may shop dog ChiChi, but I think he would have liked to.
    [​IMG]

2. awesome indeed, sorry I couldnt make it out there. I was tied up a smidgen, or rather, she was.

3. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Look at you, you're making great progress! Looks good Richard. Here's a crude photoshop of a couple minor adjustments you were asking about. I just moved the grille & front wheels back a tad. You don't have to do this, just a thought to give you an idea. Me & my dad chopped his 39' dodge cab, I've got pics stashed somewhere. I'll be glad to dig them up if they would help.

Keep it up!
    Dan
    [​IMG]

4. Thanks, Dan, I would like to see those, I remember seeing something on that truck a year ago or so.

5. Here you can see how we added some reinforcement to the rear cab wall, tying the existing ribs to the new floor panels, and then tied that back to the tube running from door jamb to door jamb. Between the two short pieces of 1", is a piece of 1/8" plate; this is where I will bolt the body to the frame. I will probably drill the hole and weld a fender washer around the hole for extra strength. Seat brackets and belts will also be attached to this new structure. I feel much safer with seat belts when is Louie driving.:eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Doesn't look real pretty in this photo, but has been ground down and will be sprayed with undercoat, and be under the carpet anyway. Also, it can be barely seen where we patched and strengthened the bottom of the doorjamb; there is 1" square tube inside the jamb attaching it to the rocker panel, before we capped it. This will help in final alignment of the doors. This will all be ground smooth and blended in and painted.
    Thanks Louie S. and Unclee.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I'm going to cast my vote for a non-chopped cab on this job. Why not be cool and different from all the rest?

7. I don't plan to chop it, I really don't prefer chopped cars; this one would need to be chopped in the crown, too, or it would look like a bubble. I am sure someone has done it well and can prove me wrong...

8. Let's make a list of the shit you still need;

Heads
    Cam & Kit (solid!)
    Turbo 350

Isn't that about it?

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy cow! This thing is coming along GREAT!!! Really takin' shape!!

Any new thoughts on stance, grille placement, etc?? Dan's photoshop looked pretty good!

Speaking of Dodgerodder... we are requiring some updates from YOU as well! :D

10. Ohh! Forgot to add; kits for six 94's!

11. Probably use a single 4bbl to make it to Roundup(Hide it under a cool air cleaner). Littleman spent a year tuning his 6x2 setup.

Scooter, I have a dropped axle on the way, with some '32-'34 spindles, the type with built-in steering arms, the steering arms have been dropped to match the axle. I am going to try to mount the axle further back, with either the whole axle, or at least the tie rod, under the crossmember. The mockup axle and wishbones have the tie rod nearly touching the x-member. I just have the front rails tacked on; I have a radiator now, and I can "Z" it a few inches and still have the grille shell level with the cowl. I will also raise the engine a few inches. Just gonna play with it till it looks right.

12. Haywood

Haywood
    from M'boro,TN

Looking good!!!!!

I think you could get away with moving the front axle back a little and then moving the grille back a little more than that (to fill in the empty space between the engine and rad). But that's just me.

13. That's the plan. Waiting on my dropped axle.

14. draider

draider
    from Texas

So, where's the pics from this weekend? You should be done by now, at the pace you've been working...

15. Unfortunately, a close friend died over the weekend, so no work got done. Got a three day weekend coming up...

16. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

i was right! that is turning out to be a awesome truck! kick ass!!!

17. kustom66cat

kustom66cat

With the right frame of mind, most 40's cabs can be pretty bad ass (as is here). Not too long ago Rod and Custom did their Dream Car of the Month on this subject. They had cabs drawn from even the 50s and 60s, although heavily modified. Now, as far as the idiots, I seen a pic in a culture-esque mag of a very proud owner of a late 80s Jeep Cherokee with the front sheet metal removed, front suspension pushed forward about a foot, setting on a tube axle, and rolling on wagon wheels sporting www mud tires. """WTF"""!!!!!!! This is a fairly well run mag. Maybe I don't get it, but still, WTF is wrong with these guys. I seen a 84 S-10 with a plate steal bed and a boxed radiator last winter at a indoor show put into the traditional group "wtf".
    O.k., I'm stepping down from my box now.
    Even in your mock up it looks ready to run.

18. M - M - M "Natties" My favorite!

19. Made some temporary radiator brackets, I want to do some removeable ones later for easier engine swaps(Mopar later). I want to make the grille shell tilt slightly for radiator cap access. I will be putting in some type of structure inside the shell. I also want the option of adding a hood, which will not tilt with the shell. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    The radiator mounts are on the edge of the crossmember, closest to the engine, right behind the bolts sticking up. I have some photos of it mounted in the computer at home. The dropped axle, which is coming next week, will also be back right next to the crossmember, if not under it.

20. your kickin that thing in the ass
    And its looking pretty killer to boot. I hope to get as much done on mine as you have on yours.
    See ya'll sunday.

21. Yeah, as soon as the axle gets here, I'm gonna start crankin'. Will probably try to throw a H.A.M.B. BBQ/build party once I have all the parts in place. Roundup 2K8!!!!!

22. Hell yeah, keep truckin on it. I think its a pretty tough lookin body to, a little different than most other "rudy trucks", "bobber trucks" or whatever they call em I like it

23. it is more than just tough looking, it's like 14 ga steel; Unclee says he will put the hammer and dolly to it, I think he will look like Popeye after the first dent!

24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Flip flops are the new Doc Martens.

Happy new year.

25. Shit yeah, looking forward to seeing you Nads.

26. Brad S.

Brad S.

goddamn you got some ugly toes

27. You still like kissing them.

28. Another example of a later cab with good proportions, H.A.M.B.er Russco's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I hope mine comes out half as nice.

29. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

well mike....now i see how i rate!:(i pm'd ya 2 weeks ago askin how the new secret bed deal was coming...then i see that richard has the pics! thats a fuckin kropduster for ya!:rolleyes:

30. Those were put on the "Showcars" thread some time ago. What a buddy!