Register now to get rid of these ads!

The U. S. Kids dragster recreation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dwrfab, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Don, is the Drag Geezer Reunion on this December?

Bench racing yesterday with Vance Hunt at Piranio's. He's still sharp as a tack!

2. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

Texas Drag GeezersReunion
    December 14th
    At the Trail Dust Steak House 26501 Hwy 380 E
    Aubrey TX, 76227

10:00 AM till 2:00 PM or more
    Thanks Don Ross

3. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

Just after the drag geezers Reunion last year(2012) I had to put my dragster roll cage up on a rack so I could work on customers projects. I didn't want it to stay up for a complete year so I pulled it down this week end and put it back on the big chassis table. Today I went down and aligned it close to straight . I assembled the clutch can and bolted it all to a block. My wife and I rolled it to the chassis and clamped the fire wall to the all ready tacked on tabs. I was just about to go home and started sticking the front rail tubes in and heated them to pull close to the correct bends. I have to build a new torsion bar tube as I sold the one I had for this car.
    The progress will still be slow because I still have to make a living.
    dwrfab Don Ross www.donrossfab.com

Attached Files:

4. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

We had freezing rain and ice her in Dallas this weekend. But I still got my new torsion bar built Saturday and trimmed the main rails off then fit the cross member and tack welded it. As I was going home I set up the front axle and one radius rod for a look.

Attached Files:

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Excellent skills, thanks for sharing the pictures tonight.

6. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

This past week I was working on a 34 coupe doing patch panels. after 5:00 I would do some work on the dragster.
    I made a mount for the aluminum idler arm, which I built two years ago. then I cut and tacked up the two drag links for steering. The next few days I fit all the uprights and diagonals along with two cross members and one diagonal.
    Our original body had a recessed groove the full length of the nose and up the cowl. To plot the lay out of the groove I bent sheet metal strips to the front and rear shapes and pulled string lines down front to rear. This allowed me to see where the fuel tank filler cap could be and make sure the body would clear it. The tank will be flush with the top rail and about 38" long, to hold four plus gallons of Nitro. Today I planed the complete body and deturmined that I will need three sheets of .040" aluminum to form up the body.
    This week end I plan to pull every thing out of the chassis and finish all the welding.

Attached Files:

7. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

The last two weeks have been filled with customers work in the day time. Then I would weld some on the chassis after 5:00. I added two more short uprights near the front. Then added 1" round "K" member behind the clutch can and a anti rotation tube under the rear end. There was already two tabs there so I used them. Now today I slipped the rear end and dummy block back in to fit the front motor mount tabs and make the coupler work easily.

Attached Files:

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

You'll get more done on your car if you quit taking in customer work :)

Great Job Don! Happy New Year!

9. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

Darn it I'm still working on customers stuff. But I did dig out some left over aluminum and pre fit the three side panels on each side. I will rough out the cowl before I deside where all the lap joints will be located. Then the Dzus tabs need to be tacked on to the chassis.

Attached Files:

10. Hey Donald,,you will eventually get it done,,,customer work is sometimes essentual to pay the bills..

11. Bringing this back to the top for Don,,,This years reunion is Sat,Dec 13,2014....same location as last years..Traildust Steak House on 380,east of Denton at Aubrey,tex

12. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

Well I am working on my U. S. Kids car again . I have been doing small things as time allowed. I had North Texas Quality Chrome do the most part of the chrome . Then I have been looking at the body panels and desided to go ahead and bend the sides of the cowl down and it's ready to trim to fit the side panels.

Attached Files:

blackrat40 likes this.