Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The truth may set you free.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, May 28, 2019.

1. Count the dresses in her closet. Compare notes.

Rich S. likes this.
  2. Dirk35

Dirk35

This is good advice.

I've always told my wife that all car parts are "free". When she asks, always the same answer. We keep separate bank accounts and have the home bills set up equally between us both, and we both make about the same yearly at our jobs. She goes and visits her family in Hawaii every year, I buy car parts. I've been a few times, but I don't see the value of going to the same vacation place year-after-year, over and over again. She buys stupid stuff online that we don't need, and buys our daughter clothes she doesn't want. The wife has a shopping problem. I still have t-shirts from 15-20 years ago. She also buys a new purse every few years instead of taking care of the one she has meanwhile, my wallet is older than my daughter who is in college. I guess, in the end, it all works out. We don't really argue about money until it comes time to do the taxes.

She did "flip her lid" when I bought a Bob Drake 34 Grille and she was with me and I couldn't hide the cost. She still went to Hawaii that year, and I still stayed home that year.

I just hope I don't die before she does. If I do, I hope you guys don't take advantage.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  3. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

Who cares what they sell it for , your dead

Rich S. likes this.
  4. Yep....the 3x2 I just bought I sorta slept with.....but it was a full house Navarro ! Still my vintage girl doesn't ask and neither do I complain or ask about her indulgences.........but I often contribute !

X-cpe likes this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

My wife and I have been together since our last year of college. It was a troubling time for everyone in the USA during that time period, which made being together much better in the long run. Ever since that time, she has never questioned me about car/motorcycle/surfing/photographic equipment expenditures. Of course, I am not an idiot, that trust or feeling of trust is a good thing, so why wreck it with some awful purchase that was not needed.

We certainly did not marry each other for money, but being together to do things the way we liked, all fit in over the years. So, when I broke a hood latch on the 2nd 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery and spent $$$ buying a New Old Stock one, instead of a copy, I felt badly about the purchase. But, when she looked into the engine compartment and noticed what I grabbed to open the hood, she smiled and said…NICE handle. We were on the same page.

Jnaki

She says that any cost for any car or accessory that is approved by me is OK with her. She knows that I am not an outrageous buyer or want those costly things, but that I like to get things right. So in her eyes, if it lasts a long time and despite the cost, it is well worth the time and effort. Lasts a long time, low cost, worth it, are those what she sees in me all of these years? Ha!

What a lifelong partner in all things family, life, hot rods/wagons and just about any car…or parts.

Happy Together

“Imagine me and you, I do
    I think about you day and night, it's only right
    To think about the girl you love and hold her tight
    So happy together

If I should call you up, invest a dime
    And you say you belong to me and ease my mind
    Imagine how the world could be, so very fine
    So happy together

I can't see me lovin' nobody but you
    For all my life
    When you're with me, baby the skies'll be blue
    For all my life

Me and you and you and me
    No matter how they toss the dice, it had to be
    The only one for me is you, and you for me
    So happy together”

Okie Pete, David Gersic and lumpy 63 like this.
  6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

My wife and I's finances are largely separate. As a child I watched my irresponsible father squander my family's earnings before he and my mom divorced. It set her back decades, forcing her to work 2-3 jobs to provide for me as a single mom, a sacrifice I understand the magnitude of more now as an adult. For that reason I don't commingle my income with my wife's, it's just my way. She's a high credentialed attorney as well. We each have our own separate accounts, and also have a joint account we contribute to equally for the mortgage, joint ventures, utilities, vacations, eating out, and for our daughter. Obviously if one of us were to be in a bind for whatever reason, we would help each other out, but other than that, what's mine is mine and what's hers is hers. So when it comes to cars, parts, tools, clothes, guns, guitars, etc., I rarely if ever ask for permission and her the same. In fact, I wish she would spend more on herself. We are both respectful of our household, what we as a family are trying to accomplish financially, and don't spend wastefully or in excess so as to put either of us in some sort of financial peril. Priorities are priorities. But my wife, who also comes from a car-loving household, understands that cars are just what I do and is as engrained in me as anything else. It's just part of who I am, and money spent on cars, parts and tools is not money wasted.

7. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 32 and never married. No kids. I know guys that can do what they want with their money and guys that always have to "ask the wife", some even before they buy Hotwheels... I had a couple girlfriends that asked how much things cost and I got rid of them before they wised up to my high dollar hot rod habit.
    I need to cut back spending on parts/projects and focus on building a bigger shop.

8. rudestude

rudestude

It could be to some couple's the act of keeping the amounts of money your spending on your toys by lying or distorting the truth and the chance of being found out by her, and the part that she plays in questioning and checking up on your activities and spending habits maybe looked at by them as just a form of foreplay.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Mo rust

Mo rust

When my wife asks about something I paid a lot for I tell her “ too much” and I’ve explained to her that I don’t want her to know how dumb I am sometimes for over paying for something I want. I do have a spreadsheet in my hotmail account that she has the password to with a list of my whole hoard with what I gave and probable value. I do that for insurance and in case my heirs need to know

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app